U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2011, 09:33 PM

15,176 posts, read 14,384,255 times

Advertisements

Lately I've been feeling a rumbling sensation on the right side of my abdomen. It isn't painful and it comes and goes. I haven't had any fever either, but could it be chronic appendicitis? Earlier this year I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis, so it could very well be related to that. Perhaps it could just be some gas passing through the small intestine? Or god forbid I was misdiagnosed and it could be Crohn's, though I think that's unlikely since my doctor said he didn't notice anything unusual in the small intestine when I was first diagnosed. One of the symptoms of UC is dealing with some gas, however, it really seems to be focused on the right side of my abdomen.

I know it sounds like I'm trying to self-diagnose, but all I'm trying to do is figure what the issue may potentially be. I have a previously scheduled appointment with my doctor in early October, so I'll certainly mention it to him, but I'm interested in hearing your thoughts. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 04:50 AM

20,993 posts, read 21,094,759 times
Before I realized lactose intolerence, very painful episodes of gas was frequent.
The pain was always on my right side in the same spot.
I'm not trying to influence your thoughts one way or the other but you said.....
"I'm interested in hearing your thoughts."
That's mine

Old 09-11-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Before I realized lactose intolerence, very painful episodes of gas was frequent.
The pain was always on my right side in the same spot.
I'm not trying to influence your thoughts one way or the other but you said.....
"I'm interested in hearing your thoughts."
That's mine
Certainly something to consider. Thanks!

Old 09-11-2011, 12:08 PM

523 posts, read 3,509,275 times
ulcerative colitis fairly commonly affects the caecum, the first part of the large intestine, low on your right side, very close to where the appendix lies - as such, it is a common site for discomfort as part of UC.

however you describe painless rumbling, and is most likely just the movement of intestinal gas, particularly in the abscence of pain or fever.

incidentally, involvement of the small intenstine in inflammatory bowel disease does not automatically mean it is crohn's disease - "backwash" ileitis is common in UC.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:07 PM

8,091 posts, read 6,364,144 times
Gall bladder, stones?

Old 09-13-2011, 08:28 AM

8,308 posts, read 35,235,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Lately I've been feeling a rumbling sensation on the right side of my abdomen. It isn't painful and it comes and goes. I haven't had any fever either, but could it be chronic appendicitis? Earlier this year I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis, so it could very well be related to that. Perhaps it could just be some gas passing through the small intestine? Or god forbid I was misdiagnosed and it could be Crohn's, though I think that's unlikely since my doctor said he didn't notice anything unusual in the small intestine when I was first diagnosed. One of the symptoms of UC is dealing with some gas, however, it really seems to be focused on the right side of my abdomen.

I know it sounds like I'm trying to self-diagnose, but all I'm trying to do is figure what the issue may potentially be. I have a previously scheduled appointment with my doctor in early October, so I'll certainly mention it to him, but I'm interested in hearing your thoughts. Thanks.
Has anyone spoken to you about removing wheat gluten from your diet? My wife's side of the family has a history of stomach issues with a lot of diagnoses of diverticulitis, UC, IBS, etc. etc. My wife went to a gluten free diet and has had zero intestinal issues since. Her uncle (UC) followed her lead and improved dramatically. He's been able to re-introduce dairy to his diet. That family may be celiac rather than prone to GI maladies.

Just a thought.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Has anyone spoken to you about removing wheat gluten from your diet? My wife's side of the family has a history of stomach issues with a lot of diagnoses of diverticulitis, UC, IBS, etc. etc. My wife went to a gluten free diet and has had zero intestinal issues since. Her uncle (UC) followed her lead and improved dramatically. He's been able to re-introduce dairy to his diet. That family may be celiac rather than prone to GI maladies.

Just a thought.
Yes, I've gone back and forth on the SCD diet (specific carbohydrate diet) which eliminates dairy, gluten, sugar, wheat, etc. You slowly re-introduce certain foods after doing the diet for several months. Has anyone in your family done this diet? Admittedly I haven't stuck to it for very long, but I'll have to get back on track. If not, the least I could do is eliminate gluten.

I was confused when I was first diagnosed with UC because I wasn't aware of any family members with IBD, but I soon found out my cousin was diagnosed with it a few months before I was.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:48 PM

523 posts, read 3,509,275 times
I'm sure you are already well aware, but ibs and ibd are entirely different entities, although often confused and erroneously used interchangeably

Old 09-13-2011, 08:00 PM

885 posts, read 1,344,318 times
^ Yes, ibd is an autoimmune disorder. Tho I think stress contributes greatly to both conditions.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:58 PM

8,308 posts, read 35,235,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Yes, I've gone back and forth on the SCD diet (specific carbohydrate diet) which eliminates dairy, gluten, sugar, wheat, etc. You slowly re-introduce certain foods after doing the diet for several months. Has anyone in your family done this diet? Admittedly I haven't stuck to it for very long, but I'll have to get back on track. If not, the least I could do is eliminate gluten.

I was confused when I was first diagnosed with UC because I wasn't aware of any family members with IBD, but I soon found out my cousin was diagnosed with it a few months before I was.
It takes a lot of discipline and a lot of scrutiny. There is wheat in virtually any food product that comes off of a shelf, out of a can or in a bag and most of the stuff in bottles as well. I'm certainly not trying to play internet doctor and wheat may not be a problem for you at all, I was simply curious to know if anyone had broached the issue with you. Whether or not it's a fix, I think it would at least be worth investigation in earnest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness