Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 10:15 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times

Advertisements

This has happened to me several times now. Doctor see or hear something that might be significant. They do a test, find nothing something which costs thousands of $$.

I am a mid-40s woman in excellent health with no family health issues or prior issues of my own or any chronic conditions.

When can you say no when a doctor wants to test something - if you feel it may be unnecessary? I would hate to be in a position to regret having a test done if it does find something...
It is not undergoing the test as much as the $$$$ it costs us. has anyone had this quandary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 11:03 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
It really depends on what they're testing you -for- and why they feel the test needs to be done. I've rejected getting some tests, and insisted on others that weren't recommended. When I had a lump on my breast, they recommended a needle biopsy. I told them absolutely not. Cut me open, take the lump out, and test it in a petri dish if it suits them. I've had a needle biopsy before, I'd rather have a leg amputated than go through that again. I also knew that they'd want to remove the lump anyway, so additional testing prior to the lumpectomy was pointless. It turned out to be a benign cyst, but it was pretty big and was sitting close to a few nerves. If it hadn't come out it would've ultimately become very painful and need to be removed anyway, with higher risk of complications.

On the other hand, my current "primary care physician" is so clueless about my thyroid history, that I have to instruct them when it's time for me to get my T-4s checked. They have the entire history but it's as though they don't care about it since they weren't the doctor who performed the thyroidectomy. So I just inform them when I need my CBCs, thyroid, and T-4s. I'm the one who calls the lab to get the test results, and then I call the doctor and they write the prescription I instruct them to write me. They're good little puppets, like that.

If there's something wrong with me and I don't know what it is, you bet I'll be looking for tests of some sort. If the doctor hears wheezing in my inhales, and I don't recall having a seasonal cold or allergies, and feel perfectly fine, you can bet I'll ask him to check some other way to make sure there's nothing hidden that's wrong. If the doctor hears my heart skip beats after several attempts, you know danged well I'll be asking for something more decisive than a stethoscope and the doctor's ears.

On the other hand, if I get a splinter, and it starts getting red the day after I take it out, I'm not going to demand tests. I'll sterlize a needle, dig a little to make sure there's not still a little something in there, apply some tea tree oil, and check it the next day. If it's worse, THEN I go to the doctor. If no change, or it's better, I don't waste my time or the doctor's time with tests for a common minor inflammation of a splinter site.

In summary, it really depends on why you're at the doctor's office in the first place, what he's observing that causes him to want a test, and the nature of the test itself.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:43 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
This has happened to me several times now. Doctor see or hear something that might be significant. They do a test, find nothing something which costs thousands of $$.

I am a mid-40s woman in excellent health with no family health issues or prior issues of my own or any chronic conditions.

When can you say no when a doctor wants to test something - if you feel it may be unnecessary? I would hate to be in a position to regret having a test done if it does find something...
It is not undergoing the test as much as the $$$$ it costs us. has anyone had this quandary?
I think everyone has or should have this conversation with their doctor or provider when tests are ordered.

You should feel comfortable discussing your concerns with your physician and financial concerns are legitimate.

Your provider should be able to clearly explain why he or she wants to perform the tests and the rationale behind the test.

They should also be able to tell you the risks if you decline the test.

Ultimately it is your decision whether to have the test or not.

Keep in mind, if you trust your PCP, you should also trust their judgement. Thats ultimately why you are seeing them and what you are paying them for.

Also keep in mind that many times tests that are run end up being normal or inconclusive. That doesn't mean they should not have been run in the first place. Diagnostic testing is done to confirm or rule out a suspected problem.

A negative test also gives your provider information and can lead to alternate hypotheses.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:21 PM

726 posts, read 1,229,543 times
Go with your gut.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:31 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
I don't want to hijack your thread, but I'm having similar concerns.

Many times they order tests to cover their own behinds. Then I have the feeling they never even look at them. The feedback is "all your tests were wnl = within normal limits", usually that's a little office gal who reads that off to you.

In this day of managed care, make sure you are sent to a lab in network, or you will get a nasty bill. Also, I've taken to asking for all test results in writing, even if just a simple CBC, I want the results. I just moved recently, so I said I want to have my records for the move and new doctor, they had o problem with that. At least ensure somebody is looking at them. I keep my own file now.

Like I said, I don't want to hijack the OP thread, but it hits a chord with my issues, so I will start my own thread about neurological tests.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:37 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post

I've avoided going in for routine checkups for this very reason.

I'm considering crossing out the section where you are asked to sign off on paying for the balance not covered by insurance.

Any one else tried this? I would take my big red Sharpie and write "DO NOT PERFORM ANY TESTS THAT WILL NOT BE REIMBURSED BY MY HEALTH INSURANCE PROVIDER".

Anyone else tried this? Any luck? Advice?

Old 10-23-2010, 06:41 PM

Doctors often think if you have insurance most if not all the charge is covered, at most you might pay $5 or so. Many tests you end up paying $300+ OOP. I always 'educate" my doctors, hey, doc, do you realize that bone density scan you want me to have will cost me $500 OOP? Can't we just go with the assumption my bones are thin, the last bone scan said so, we don't need to repeat it every year,not just for data.

Many times they're astonished at the cost and find some alternative.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:43 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
Thanks for the comments, I am glad I am not the only person who is facing this problem. I do realize I am in middle age and that things are going to start to go wrong, so I am concerned with that aspect.

"Many times they order tests to cover their own behinds. " I get this feeling as well. I think I am going to take a more wait and see approach on some of these from now on.

And yes, we now have a $2500 dollar a year deductible. That was what the surgeon's (outpatient) cost alone was on this last procedure. Don't even want to know what the radiologist is gonna be.

Luckily they pay like 90% of everything after we have the deductible of in-network. I consider ourselves lucky to have insurance... I did my best to check to make sure everything is anyway... good idea about checking the lab.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:00 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Sometimes I think if they know you have good insurance, they do every test they can.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I've avoided going in for routine checkups for this very reason.

I'm considering crossing out the section where you are asked to sign off on paying for the balance not covered by insurance.

Any one else tried this? I would take my big red Sharpie and write "DO NOT PERFORM ANY TESTS THAT WILL NOT BE REIMBURSED BY MY HEALTH INSURANCE PROVIDER".

Anyone else tried this? Any luck? Advice?

I'm afraid your little "sharpie" trick won't mean squat.

First, what do you mean by "reimburse"? If the insurance pays a portion, they "reimbursed'. doesn't mean you won't be gigged for the rest.

Also, do understand what you're dealing with. Those little gals in the front office are getting paid $7/hour, many are functional illiterates, English is a second language, etc.

But if yu think a test ordered is unecessary, simply don't go for it, if its something in another facility. I go round and round with this about a bone density. The first one I could see, we needed a baseline, but come on, we don't need to repeat it every year, OOP cost me $500!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness