U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 02:31 PM

12,478 posts, read 15,435,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I have never had any floaters or eye problems of such sort and only recently it started, so I was and am a bit worried of what happened that caused it.
Quote:
I had a traumatic experience while on vacation recently which I think caused them. I am perfectly healthy and have been a vegetarian for over 20 years~!
Quote:
I've been to the Ophthalmologist twice already recently. He says that all is fine and nothing is wrong with my eyes.

you went a round about way to end up saying an eye doctor was seen-twice. If you have further concerns and questions I wouldn't hesitate to call him back. Otherwise the more you think about and stress over the floaters the more they will bother you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 05:54 PM

12,408 posts, read 16,921,823 times
I have them from time to time. They are vitreous fluid, which is what holds you lens in place, I believe. They are very common but could lead to a detached retina so it is important to tell your doctor, instead of an optometrist (does eyeglass prescriptions), go to an ophthalmologist (eye surgeon) every now and again. A detached retina can be very serious, but is much, much easier to treat in the very early stages. Signs are seeing sort of shadows in the periphery/corners of your vision and/or flashing lights while in the dark.

Go to the doctor(ophthalmologist) to get a real good exam once in a while. You don't want to fool with your vision. Also, my ophthalmologist (from years back) said he read an article that taking a multiple B vitamin could help. He even prescribed for me a liquid B which is better absorbed. I think vegetarians are healthier than the population in general, but do they get enough B? I also cannot take one of the B's in pill form (12 I think). I get bad stomach pains whenever I take a multiple. I try to get them through my foods, which do not bother me that way. Just saying - it is possible to take supplements and not absorb them properly. The liquid B seemed to help.

They will diminish over time.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:26 PM

2,391 posts, read 4,188,915 times
About to post this topic and found I posted it already. Does anyone experience them~? I've got them now in the other eye. It is quite different than the first time I had them in my other eye. I am a bit more worried over this eye and I did see the Ophthalmologist for them too.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:38 PM

19,523 posts, read 24,463,997 times
I experienced them first in my right eye. Saw an ophthalmologist. She said it was common in aging. I am not elderly so it surprised me.

Then the other eye. She said the sign of retinal detachment is a bright flash of light. That would be a cause for concern.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:23 PM

9,946 posts, read 17,861,267 times
Veggienut, did you see the eye doc before or after the newest round of floaters? If it was before, you should probably call, but floaters of themselves aren't as much of concern as flashes of light, or as my eye doc said, it will look like a curtain has been pulled down on your sight and you'll be partially blind in that eye with RD. I did get the flashes of light this summer and went to the doc and my retina was thin and getting ready to detach so they did laser and they say I'm fine now but I have a spiderweb floater in the corner of my left eye that is driving me crazy. And a new pair of glasses, my first prescription ones.

I understand that you can also get adhesions in your eye that will cause floaters and I have those in my other eye but the doc is not concerned about those.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:38 PM

2,391 posts, read 4,188,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I experienced them first in my right eye. Saw an ophthalmologist. She said it was common in aging. I am not elderly so it surprised me.

Then the other eye. She said the sign of retinal detachment is a bright flash of light. That would be a cause for concern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Veggienut, did you see the eye doc before or after the newest round of floaters? If it was before, you should probably call, but floaters of themselves aren't as much of concern as flashes of light, or as my eye doc said, it will look like a curtain has been pulled down on your sight and you'll be partially blind in that eye with RD. I did get the flashes of light this summer and went to the doc and my retina was thin and getting ready to detach so they did laser and they say I'm fine now but I have a spiderweb floater in the corner of my left eye that is driving me crazy. And a new pair of glasses, my first prescription ones.

I understand that you can also get adhesions in your eye that will cause floaters and I have those in my other eye but the doc is not concerned about those.
Oh *&#@~! That is what happened....flashing of light....and the torture of the Doc checking my eye. I still blame all this and my numerous of other medical problems on the spaceship stimulator in Disneyland last summer. I don't know if I hit my head or not, which could caused it too from what I read up on. Just it shook me up pretty badly and everything started happening from there. I know my eyes are precious (as my Mom use to tell me...tears) I don't want to loose my eye sight. I have no family (that I claim) and only a dog My eyes really ache since I took my contacts out. Does that happen to you all if you wear contacts and this health issue~? I need to rest my eyes and get to sleep.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:34 PM

Well my doc told me there isn't anything I could have done to cause the almost RD--said it's birthdays that raise your risk. I think banging your head can up your risk though, but not bright flashing lights in a simulator situation. The flashing lights I was talking about were in my eyes. I can't answer about contacts as I've never worn them--I went straight from reading glasses to trifocals. Ugh, birthdays.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:32 PM

40,377 posts, read 49,922,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I've been looking a the same floaters for 20 years. Been to the doc, he said my floaters were normal, common, not to worry.
Exactly, me too, over 20 years floating. Ophalmologist says it comes with aging. No big deal, you just get used to them.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:40 PM

12,408 posts, read 16,921,823 times
I had them and they just went away over time.
I think it's kind of normal, so many people have them.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I had them and they just went away over time.
I think it's kind of normal, so many people have them.
Well I hope mine get better b/c I have so many big new ones from that last scare that they are literally obscuring my vision. I don't have glaucoma or macular degeneration though--that's something to be glad about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness