U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 06:37 AM

15,803 posts, read 9,804,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Great advice..but it takes longer than a few days to get rid of ringworm..it's more like weeks of treatment.
Agreed. Most people need a prescription ointment. Otherwise it might fade and go away but it's still there and will crop up again and again over the years - in the same or different places. The sooner it's treated the better and faster it will clear up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 09:57 AM

25,136 posts, read 30,034,331 times
Ringworm - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment and Prevention of Ringworm

The fungus will usually clear up in 2 to 4 weeks with an over the counter antifungal cream.

Use of the cream for at least 2 weeks is recommended.

About tea tree oil:

Tea tree oil: MedlinePlus Supplements

It does not appear to be as effective as Lotrimin for athlete's foot and there is insufficient evidence for ringworm.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:39 PM

17,647 posts, read 17,703,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equal-Opp. View Post
are there any home remedies to aid in getting rid of ringworms?
Oral Ivermectin can be prescribed by an MD. IM is a powerful, broad based anti-parasitic. The stuff works great, it is also used on animals.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:53 PM

25,136 posts, read 30,034,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Oral Ivermectin can be prescribed by an MD. IM is a powerful, broad based anti-parasitic. The stuff works great, it is also used on animals.
"Ringworms" are not worms. It is a skin infection caused by a fungus, not a parasite, and ivermectin is not a treatment for it.

Ringworm (Tinea) Treatment, Pictures, Causes, Symptoms and Diagnosis by MedicineNet.com

"Scientific names for the most common of the dermatophyte fungi that cause ringworm include Trichophyton rubrum, Trichophyton tonsurans, Trichophyton interdigitale, and/or Trichophyton mentagrophytes, Microsporum canis, and Epidermophyton floccosum."

Ivermectin For Ringworm | eHow.com

"Ivermectin has no effect on the ringworm fungus, because ivermectin is specifically an anti-parasitic. Ringworm must be treated with an antifungal cream, which can be treated through a prescription from a veterinarian, a special "dip" for your dog, a unique shampoo or by simply waiting two to four months for your dogs immune system to clear the fungus out itself."

Old 09-16-2011, 08:38 AM

11,343 posts, read 21,740,981 times
If you're looking for a home remedy, taking garlic capsules helps treat any kind of fungus on the skin.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:52 AM

21,956 posts, read 21,884,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
It can be covered when she's out and it should be. She needs to treat it also, though - it won't just go away.
Hi toosie! I use to think the same thing--it won't just go away but strangly enough often times it does! It's called "self-limiting" meaning It runs its course then dies off--not always but most of the time. I learned this when one of my cats became infected with ringworm and I researched it until I better understood ringworm! It is however a much better idea to treat ringworm as it will heal much faster and not be as likely to spread. There is a spray in pet stores called Fungisam by Tomlyn and it works on people and animals. The woman at the store said she's used it for years on her kids when they got ringworm from her animals. Heals it up in no time. Do not over do it with this on an animal because they do lick it off and it can make them sick. I've done that too!

Old 09-16-2011, 09:00 AM

2,382 posts, read 4,664,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
It's a fungus not a worm. Put some lotrimin (anti-fungal) on it which one can buy at the supermarket. It'll be gone within a few days. Tell her to wash her clothes in hot water before wearing them again so she doesn't reinfect herself. Also towels.
I got it on my hand one summer . The doc caught it at my school check-up and told my mom to use anti-fungal on it (i think she had to get a prescription at the time, same stuff is now over the counter) The doctor said to treat it ASAP and wear a bandage over it while treating since I was starting school the following week and technically he was supposed to "fail" me b/c it was easily spread...

Old 09-16-2011, 09:11 AM

I'll have to say when I rescued a stray litter of kittens only to find out they all had ringworm and then I got it and some of my indoor cats also got it I panicked. I disinfected my entire house and spent days cleaning and vacuuming, constantly cleaning out the air filters in the house--well you get the picture. Relax, really it is not a big deal. It's just like athletes foot--it isn't harmful other then uncomfortable. It will go away. Don't be like me and nearly kill yourself and everyone else in your home trying to get rid of the ringworm. As I mentioned before most of the time it will run its course and kills itself off. Do cover any ringworm on your child so he/she does not expose other children or pets but relax. Get some Lysol spray and spray around your home and treat the ringworm with something like that Fungisam from your local pet store or Lotrimin--it will go away!
For some reason, I think the name "ringworm" freaks people out. I know it did me but honestly it is not that big a deal. I know what I went through and I hate to see others so upset like I was so that is why I am sharing my experience. Good luck!

Old 09-16-2011, 09:20 AM

Using that Fungisam my ringworm cleared up within a week--about 4-5 days. It probably is different with each person or animal depending on their system and how well their body fights off infections etc.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:21 AM

11,343 posts, read 21,740,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
For some reason, I think the name "ringworm" freaks people out. I know it did me but honestly it is not that big a deal. I know what I went through and I hate to see others so upset like I was so that is why I am sharing my experience. Good luck!
I think one reason people get freaked out is that it can spread to your scalp and cause circles of hair loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness