U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2011, 06:31 PM

380 posts, read 1,109,208 times

Advertisements

Im over weight 6'4'' 290 LBS Have a real hard time motivation myself to eat good and to exercise. I even quit my part time job saying that I would exercise and workout on my spare time, But havent done anything in 2 weeks since quiting.

Overall im pretty happy just always negative toward my weight and sometimes I think my bosses look down on me for being overweight. but I cant seem to motivate myself to exercise. My wife is the same way, were both 25 and we just generally feel like the garbage we eat. Has anyone ever felt what im going through?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 08:33 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,106,798 times
You've been posting about this for awhile ... on and off over the past year at least.
At some point, when you're ready, you gotta follow Nike's advice and "just do it".
The question is, do you and your wife truly want to be healthy and feel better?
What are you afraid of?
Are you afraid of change and uncertainty?
If you really want to be healthier you'll need to change your life ... the way you eat and the way you move.
You're still young enough to break bad habits and transform your body and the way that you live.
The longer you don't do it, the more difficult it will be to change.
You're lucky that you have a partner that is in the same boat.
You can both get up off your arses and walk or jog together and/or go to a gym and you can change the way you eat ... go shopping together and have some fun learning how to prepare good and healthy food.
Perhaps your relationship is somewhat dependent on you both being over weight and unhealthy.
If so, that's a problem.
Sometimes, people find comfort in being addicted together.
It's like a co-dependent mutual enabling relationship where you're both helping each other to stay in unhealthy patterns.
And then, if one person is more motivated that the other, it can really threaten the relationship.
What if you changed and your wife didn't or visa-versa?
It would rock the boat of your relationship.
One of you could be keeping the other from changing due to fear of change.
You (and your wife) need to get real and get honest with yourself and decide whether or not you want to change or whether you want to stay in this unhealthy situation.
Either decide to change or make peace with the way you are and accept it.
Stop struggling.
Either do it or don't do it.
That's my semi tough love advice.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:52 PM

6,514 posts, read 8,189,239 times
^^^^^ This is the best advice you're going to get, James. Motivation comes from within. In my case, I grew tired of being uncomfortable. I was only about 30 pounds overweight but that was more than I ever weighed in my life. I had a couple of major surgeries, (one involving cancer) and between the recuperative period where I was forbidden to do anything meaningful and overeating, many times out of boredom, and not exercising at all, I was just getting bigger and bigger. I began to eat sensibly and after a couple of pounds went away, I began a program of walking. Started by walking to the corner and back for several days. Then went to the next corner. Eventually I was walking every day and am now doing a mile and a half. I've lost 18 pounds since mid-May and feeling pretty good about myself. Oh, and one other thing - I'm going to be 76 in a month. HTH

Old 09-11-2011, 09:02 PM

18,847 posts, read 32,763,683 times
You need to be OCD about it. That means, planning your food, do this on Sunday or Saturday. You plan what you are going to eat for the entire of next week, write down the meals, what you are going to eat, and then go shop using that list, only buy what is on the list. This needs to be following some sort of reasonable diet plan, there are many to pick from, I like the "Eat Clean Diet". You then, take the food home, vegetables, fruit, meat, and cut them up, and prepare them, to be easy to eat this week, and prepare. VERY IMPORTANT, you stick to the plan. You can even budget going out for pizza if you wish, but you don't deviate from the food plan.

2. Schedule in your work out/exercise time. Write it down, for the week, what your exercise plan is, don't be extreme about it, just start with a 1/2 hour walk each day. Buy some wieghts to work on upper body strength. get a DVD at Wal-Mart. Stick with this for a month, then add additional exercise to the plan.

3. Plan to lose 20 pounds in three months. That is a reasonable goal, and one pretty easy to attain. Go for 20 pounds, every three months, until you reach your goal. The problem most people have, is that they are all gung ho in the beginning, and want to lose 20 pounds a month...and just don't make gradual changes to their lifestyle. The goal is gradual changes, so that it becomes easy and natural to lose weight.

Last edited by jasper12; 09-11-2011 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 09-12-2011, 08:19 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,753,100 times
It's not that difficult but just requires day in and day out dedication. I lost 53 pounds in under 6 months switching to a low-carb diet and walking about an hour a day. The advantage of low carb is you're never really that hungry and you see quick and constant results which are quite motivating. Most of your success will come through diet rather than exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness