U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 10:47 AM

4,695 posts, read 3,740,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFix View Post
Lack of exercise, plain and simple. And no, there is no such thing as "junk food" or "fast food". Food is food. Period. I eat McDonalds or Burger King at least 3 to 4 times a week, been eating like that since I was a kid, and I am thin as a rail and my doctor says I am an excellent health when I got a full medical physical last year.

Bottom line: sedentary lifestyle is what is getting America fat. And it has nothing to do with the foods we eat.
This is just ... (am I allowed to say "stupid"?)

How can you possibly equate fat-laden processed food filled with chemicals with...

fresh organic vegetables/fruits minimally cooked, whole grains, and fresh lean protein?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 12:29 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,094,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post

How can you possibly equate fat-laden processed food filled with chemicals with...

fresh organic vegetables/fruits minimally cooked, whole grains, and fresh lean protein?

Easy. Logic and common sense.

The same exact vitamins and nutrients found in a Big Mac are the same exact vitamins and nutrients found in "organic" ground beef or whatever ridiculously overpriced piece of ground meat you buy at your local Whole Foods. A Whooper or a Big Mac, after all, also has vegetables, dairy, and grains. And there is no difference whatsoever between the lettuce and tomatoes you find in a Burger King whopper to the "organic" lettuce and tomatoes you find at a farmer's market.

Put it this way: If all "junk food" and McDonalds were to magically disappear tomorrow in America, the same fat people would continue to be fat. Because their sedentary lifetstyles would not change, just the food they choose to gourge in (instead of Big Macs, they will stuff their faces with "natural, organic" food). And of course, all these "nutrition experts" and health nuts would then say that it was all the fault of fresh fruit and vegetables that is making America fat, and will then promote a strictly water and rice-based diet as the miracle cure to get Americans skinny again.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:19 AM

554 posts, read 1,388,871 times
I guess ignorance is bliss to some people. I would love to live in the fairytale land of Big Macs and junk food and never gain an ounce of fat or die of clogged arteries and diabetes. I suppose doing drugs, drinking mass amounts of alcohol and smoking like a chimney are also perks in that fairytale world. I bet those people have lots of unprotected sex and play in traffic too. Awesome. Thanks for the laugh, I needed that.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:25 AM

26,275 posts, read 6,752,313 times
We have a similar growing obesity problem here. When I was young, a fat person was quite
unusual. There were only a couple of overweight kids in my school. Now you see lots of fat
kids. Yet, my diet had lots of so called fattening foods. The difference from back in the 60s is
a lack of exercise. I used to walk to school, and kids used to always be running around. Now
most kids get driven to school. When I was a boy the streets were full of children running and playing. Now they're all sat indoors on their computers. Plus most mothers were at home
cooking proper meals for their children. Now, most work, and look for quick to prepare
convenience foods, which tend to be high in fat.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
The same exact vitamins and nutrients found in a Big Mac are the same exact vitamins and nutrients found in "organic" ground beef or whatever ridiculously overpriced piece of ground meat you buy at your local Whole Foods. A Whooper or a Big Mac, after all, also has vegetables, dairy, and grains. And there is no difference whatsoever between the lettuce and tomatoes you find in a Burger King whopper to the "organic" lettuce and tomatoes you find at a farmer's market.
You are conveniently ignoring the fact that the WAY something is prepared makes all the difference.

A potato cooked in oil is not as healthy as a steamed potato. And you cannot get around that.

Also, I never said anything about ORGANIC meats. That is all on you. But to say that a plant sprayed with toxins is the same as a plant without toxins is ridiculous. What do you think happens to your body after years and years of eating things sprayed with toxins? Having said that, I don't even shop at Earth Fare because I don't have one and probably couldn't afford it if I did. Organic foods have their disadvantages anyways.

Furthermore, you have to accept the fact that there is a difference in the quality of meats, whether organic or no.

If BK uses ground round, then it might be a fat ratio of 88/12 or 90/10.

Meanwhile, I can buy extra lean ground sirloin, with a fat ratio of 97/3.

Don't tell me that the 9 point difference in fat (and therefore calories) is unimportant.

You are also ignoring that by cooking at home from scratch, I can almost completely elimanate preservatives, food coloring and dyes, fake sugar, and all the other chemicals which are, indeed, making people fat, lazy, and ill.

If people simply eliminated most overly processed foods, they would be healthier and trimmer.

It is not necessarily about going all out and being vegan or eating raw or micro this and macro that.

It is about putting down the Doritios (which contain more chemicals than paint) and switching to Triscuits, which have 3 ingredients. Better yet, make your own bread and dip it in first cold pressed olive oil.

(A great series that tries to educate people about switching out foods is the "Eat This, Not That" series.)

Old 10-04-2011, 06:32 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,772,709 times
Quote:
You are conveniently ignoring the fact that the WAY something is prepared makes all the difference.

A potato cooked in oil is not as healthy as a steamed potato. And you cannot get around that.
Actually the potato, which has a ton of insulin spike/hunger inducing carbs is going to make you fatter than the oil.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Actually the potato, which has a ton of insulin spike/hunger inducing carbs is going to make you fatter than the oil.
Fine, pick a different vegetable.

Deep fried zuccini is not as healthy as a raw or lightly steamed zuccini.

I used a potato because of the reference to fast food....

I guess that is one more reason to avoid fast food.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 10-04-2011 at 08:24 PM..

Old 10-05-2011, 07:58 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,772,709 times
Quote:
Fine, pick a different vegetable.

Deep fried zuccini is not as healthy as a raw or lightly steamed zuccini.

I used a potato because of the reference to fast food....

I guess that is one more reason to avoid fast food.
Many vegetables are more nutritious when cooked than if eaten raw. The heat breaks down the cell walls, allowing your body to better extract the nutrients rather than just passing them though undigested. I wouldn't worry too much about frying as long as you're not coating things with bread or flour. I regularly eat my vegetables sauteed in butter. Steamed vegetables can be a little dull. You need the fat to fill you up so you don't overeat. Taking the fat out of everything is a recipe for diet failure.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:18 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,998,655 times
Even if you eat at Mcdonalds every day you can make better and worse choices...

I find it funny how there is always a reply saying that "but I can eat 3x big mac menus and I'm thin as a rail" or "my mom did pilates twice a year and lost 300 lbs" etc.

Yeah in a world of 6 billion people there are gonna be hundreds of thousands of "special cases", congratz if you're within the "happy unusual" or what ever you want to call it.
You or your-moms-dogs-exowners-cousins-aunt might be able to eat like complete morons without any problems at all, but the fact remains that you have about 200 million(give or take 50 million) people in just your own country who seriously need to reconsider not only their nondietary habits, but also their dietary habits.

And no there is nothing wrong with potatoes, the starch are excellent carbs. The problem is boiling them in 300C oil which completely destroys the chainstructure of the glucosechains in the starchstructure, making the complex carbs simple ones that opens for absorbing as much of the before mensioned fat as possible.

Boil your potatoes in water instead and it's going to as fine as spaghetti. Remember carbs are not evil, they are a good source of energy!

The change of mass in a human being is nothing but a mathematical function of carbon-source(prot,fat,carb,(alc)) utilization. There is no magic at work here.
Apart from that the body has certain needs in terms of micronutrients(vits,mins, electrolytes etc) and some compounds will have certain effects(stims, poisons, drugs etc).
Mind these things and don't go overboard with anythig and things should be just fine.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:45 AM

6,653 posts, read 6,889,232 times
Quote:
Lack of exercise, plain and simple. And no, there is no such thing as "junk food" or "fast food". Food is food. Period. I eat McDonalds or Burger King at least 3 to 4 times a week, been eating like that since I was a kid, and I am thin as a rail and my doctor says I am an excellent health when I got a full medical physical last year.

Here's the caveat: I've always lived near mass transit, forcing me to walk every day to get/to from school/work. That's like 2 miles walking every day.

Bottom line: sedentary lifestyle is what is getting America fat. And it has nothing to do with the foods we eat.
So basically, you're saying that food does not have anything to do with the problem, the logic being you eat McDonalds or Burger King three times a week and walk two miles a day...and I'm assuming you were implying that if food did have anything to do with it, you wouldn't be "skinny as a rail"

I have a few issues with that.

First of all, you're basing it off personal experience and provide us with limited facts, which makes me contemplate several different scenarios.

First, You could just one person who may have good genetics. In fact, I bet there are many out there who could eat McDonalds more frequently than you do and still be "skinny as a rail." But those people are by far the exception to the rule.

Second, we don't know what you eat at McDonalds. A regular hamburger I'm sure is less toxic than a super sized Big Mac value meal. We also don't know what else is in your diet.

To me, the numbers are most convincing. A medium Big Mac value meal has 40g fat, and 2,600 milligrams of sodium. Wash that down with a medium Coke (51g of sugar) and you've consumed 123g of carbohydrates. http://www.livestrong.com/thedailypl...e-meal-medium/

I don't dispute that sedentary lifestyles is a substantial factor in why America is fat. But you can't tell me that ^^ kind of eating has nothing to do with it.

Last edited by Bluefox; 10-05-2011 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: Add source
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness