Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2011, 08:04 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,131,243 times

Advertisements

My wife and I tried it for awhile, and we both had trouble, so to speak... She wants to slowly evolve her diet to a point where such problems are nonexistent. I'm still a bit apprehensive.

Anybody have ideas about changing the gut bacteria and flora so they'll be compatible?

6 Foot 2, I know you are interested in the topic, so shoot if you have any ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 08:19 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
My wife and I tried it for awhile, and we both had trouble, so to speak... She wants to slowly evolve her diet to a point where such problems are nonexistent. I'm still a bit apprehensive.

Anybody have ideas about changing the gut bacteria and flora so they'll be compatible?

6 Foot 2, I know you are interested in the topic, so shoot if you have any ideas.
Lol, i'm not sure who 6 Foot 2 is but i'll give this question a go.

Just for my own experience i follow the ''paleolithic diet'' or Hunter Gatherer as i could never be a vegetarian. I've studied quite extensively and also experimented on myself over the years and i believe we all need meat and also i just don't believe that 10,000 years of grain consumption can overide about 1.8 million years humans being mostly hunter gatherer's before the advent of agriculture in mesopotamia around 8,000 b.c.

As for gut bacteria well there are hundreds of different strains and trillions of them in our gut and so if that's a concern and if you won't consume yogurt or kiefer then i'd shop around for a good probiotic that has both the lacto and bifido strains in it.

For myself i take an expensive formula called ''Ultimate Flora 50 Billon Cultures'' that cost me about $50.00 a month for a bottle (60ct 2 a day) from either vitacost or iherb etc.

Sidenote: Just saw this study out the other day showing how the gut strain Lacto Rhamnosus that helps produce in our brain (long distance relationship) the neurotransmitter GABA in which helps regulate depression and anxiety.

Probiotic Bacteria May Help Treat Depression | Gut-Brain Link | Mental Health & Psychiatric Disorders | LiveScience

Old 09-08-2011, 11:39 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Wouldn't you get a more intelligent answer by asking this question here?

//www.city-data.com/forum/vegetarian-vegan-food/

Old 09-08-2011, 05:22 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
I've had a gut problems since mid-70's and have tried multiple, many and wildly varying methods to settle 'em down. Most problems are with butter and beer, so I should know better. I believe the problem actually extends from having my gall bladder removed. I think the doc may have had dirty hands.

There was a period of time I ate a bowl of Nabisco 100% Bran cereal, like little rat pellets. Life was good. But times change.

Many years later and much research, I now include Inulin in my diet - daily. NOTE: there is NOT an S in Inulin. Inulin is derived from Chicory root and is a PRE-biotic. What acidophilus does for the small intestine, Inulin does for the lower intestine. Acidophilus doesn't make it to the lower intestine but Inulin doesn't digest in the small intestine. From my observation, Inulin makes my stool more regular and easy to pass. It balances that flora and fauna in the lower intestine.

I use the Now brand, from Swanson Vitamins online. I've not been able to find it in a local health food store. Some brands come with dietary fiber, the Now brand does not. It's about five bucks for a couple of months. A couple of tea spoons a day, mixed in soda, tea, coffee, water....

Inulin > chicory root > FOS > fructo oligosacchride. Can be found in some Stevia products.

Smells like cotton candy, can be used as a sweetner (but it's not really sweet)
Quote:
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Inulin

Inulins are a group of naturally occurring polysaccharides produced by many types of plants.[1] They belong to a class of fibers known as fructans. Inulin is used by some plants as a means of storing energy and is typically found in roots or rhizomes. Most plants that synthesize and store inulin do not store other materials such as starch.

Last edited by Willsson; 09-08-2011 at 05:35 PM..

Old 09-10-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post

Just for my own experience i follow the ''paleolithic diet'' or Hunter Gatherer as i could never be a vegetarian. I've studied quite extensively and also experimented on myself over the years and i believe we all need meat and also i just don't believe that 10,000 years of grain consumption can overide about 1.8 million years humans being mostly hunter gatherer's before the advent of agriculture in mesopotamia around 8,000 b.c.

As for gut bacteria well there are hundreds of different strains and trillions of them in our gut and so if that's a concern and if you won't consume yogurt or kiefer then i'd shop around for a good probiotic that has both the lacto and bifido strains in it.

For myself i take an expensive formula called ''Ultimate Flora 50 Billon Cultures'' that cost me about $50.00 a month for a bottle (60ct 2 a day) from either vitacost or iherb etc.

Sidenote: Just saw this study out the other day showing how the gut strain Lacto Rhamnosus that helps produce in our brain (long distance relationship) the neurotransmitter GABA in which helps regulate depression and anxiety.

Probiotic Bacteria May Help Treat Depression | Gut-Brain Link | Mental Health & Psychiatric Disorders | LiveScience
Actually her concern had to do with a stroke she had a year or so ago. She doesn't want another one. But the last time we tried a vegan style diet, I was not happy, for reasons you may have already ascertained. I could not adapt my gut to the diet.

I'll pass your paleolithic diet idea to her.

BTW, the following poster had lost his gall bladder. Same with my wife. I bet she hadn't considered that aspect of it...

Old 09-11-2011, 01:49 PM

21,124 posts, read 19,707,707 times
Quote:
...i follow the ''paleolithic diet'' or Hunter Gatherer ...

...i take an expensive formula called ''Ultimate Flora 50 Billon Cultures''...
lmao

Old 09-13-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:

I can't say that it's the best however it's what worked the best for me e.g. no grains, legumes or dairy and lots of red beef over the years and so best wishes to your wife.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:

I'm not saying that it's for everyone however for myself it's what worked the best over the years e.g. no grains, legumes or dairy and lots of red beef and so best wishes to your wife.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:

I think I'll look into what you've said here a little deeper. I might cut the dosage in half until I've sold some stock, though...

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness