U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 02:12 PM

5,048 posts, read 7,688,867 times

Advertisements

They are soooo annoying.... Literally, like every 3 to 4 months i feel like im getting the same sore throat that morphs into a chest cold. .

It starts off as a sore throat and than settles into my chest where I am coughing a lot and have this constant need to clear my throat.

Eventually after like 2 weeks it will go away, but the problem is it keeps recurring.

I went to the doc and he out me on antibiotics, but im sick of taking antibiotics everytime i catch something.

Anyone else have to deal with something like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 07:16 PM

15,172 posts, read 14,365,718 times
I have that typical progression of a cold about once a year.

Maybe you already do this, but the best way to decrease your chances of getting sick is to take vitamins, eat healthy, get plenty of sleep, and wash your hands. Your immune system may not be getting enough support.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:30 AM

5,048 posts, read 7,688,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I have that typical progression of a cold about once a year.

Maybe you already do this, but the best way to decrease your chances of getting sick is to take vitamins, eat healthy, get plenty of sleep, and wash your hands. Your immune system may not be getting enough support.
It irks me.
Really annoyes me because they seem so frequent. Last one I had was in late may, now in september I'll prob get another one around thanksgiving, and another in march/april. . .

Only thing I dont really do is take a multi-vitamin.
I generally exercise, try and get plenty of sleep, don't eat crap food.

hmm, I wish I would take some immune boosting pill or food or something.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:51 PM

13,253 posts, read 37,844,435 times
It sounds like you probably would benefit from new filters for your heating and air conditioning systems (assuming you have AC), and have your vents and ducts cleaned.

Those are the times when you turn the heat -on- for the first time in the season, then turn it -off- for the first time in the season. And then turn the AC on, then off again. Dust can do dastardly things to the lungs. Especially if it's been allowed to fester in vents that pump air through the house, collecting bacteria and mites and who knows what else while it waits for someone to turn on the juice.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:02 PM

15,172 posts, read 14,365,718 times
^Good point about indoor air quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
It irks me.
Really annoyes me because they seem so frequent. Last one I had was in late may, now in september I'll prob get another one around thanksgiving, and another in march/april. . .

Only thing I dont really do is take a multi-vitamin.
I generally exercise, try and get plenty of sleep, don't eat crap food.

hmm, I wish I would take some immune boosting pill or food or something.
Zinc and vitamin c are good immune boosters.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:32 PM

17,655 posts, read 17,716,369 times
Do you have reflux, this can cause a lot of the same problems that you mention.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:01 AM

30 posts, read 169,095 times
Quote:
It sounds like you probably would benefit from new filters for your heating and air conditioning systems (assuming you have AC), and have your vents and ducts cleaned.
Indoor air quality, definitely. You may have mold allergies. Clean ducts thoroughly, and also try to find any spots in the house, basement, attic that may have mold growth. Eliminate those (you may need professional help). The difference is amazing.
Of course, it may also turn out that you need to move, if the house is too far gone. That doesn't affect everybody but in your case it is a possibility.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:25 PM

13,051 posts, read 16,097,972 times
Apparently 90% of people are deficient in vitamin D...which is a great preventative for all kinds of ailments, as well as being a great immune booster.....One of my kids seems particulary prone to chest colds and we've found that if she keeps a thin WOOL undershirt(or stanley)on...it seems to cut the incidence down a lot.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:25 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,614,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pktp View Post
Indoor air quality, definitely. You may have mold allergies. Clean ducts thoroughly, and also try to find any spots in the house, basement, attic that may have mold growth. Eliminate those (you may need professional help). The difference is amazing.
Of course, it may also turn out that you need to move, if the house is too far gone. That doesn't affect everybody but in your case it is a possibility.
I have the same problem, been getting colds extremely often since having my son 20 months ago. I figured my immune system was down after going through the pregnancy, bf, etc. But I'm curious about the indoor air quality thing. I understand how it could cause cold-like symptoms - sore throat, runny/stuffy nose; however, would it actually produce a full blown cold every time, with the symptoms getting worse and then better, fatigue, body aches, etc.? I wouldn't suppose it would, since colds are caused by viruses. Or does bad air actually reduce your immunity somehow so that your lungs, nasal membranes, etc., are actually more vulnerable to picking up a virus? Can someone explain this to me? Also, it's obviously a virus every time in our household, since it tends to go around and all three of us get sick almost every time if one is.

I've been trying everything for prevention - I wash hands and use sanitizer to insanity, and when my husband gets sick I'll walk around and Lysol everything and scrub my hands all the time and load up on tons of Vit C, lemons, cranberry juice, do a saline rinse and gargle, take echinacea or occiloccocinum if I have any - and I've still ended up getting sick every time. So by now I've just about gave up on torturing myself with all these remedies and just let nature take its course, doesn't seem to do a lick of difference

Old 09-22-2011, 11:09 AM

11,344 posts, read 21,754,880 times
I used to get colds like that all the time, when I smoked, worked too many hours, and had a cat. Now I take better care of myself and I get maybe two colds a year, but never any that require antibiotics.

The best herbal cold prevention I've found is garlic, but you need to take it all the time, not just when you feel a cold coming on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness