U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 09:56 PM

17,478 posts, read 11,082,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbekity View Post
actually I think it is because I have mainly been wearing thongs most of the summer. Never, ever wear heels.
You might have........Sciatica: What You Need to Know About Sciatica

I use to wear thongs and flats all the time. My foot was hurting, I would have a hard time putting it flat on the morning for the first 10 mins, until it was loosened up. I ended up needing orthopedic insoles. It corrected the pain and my feet feel much better.

The sciatic nerve causes a lot of pain, if left untreated. You'll most defiantly feel like your old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 11:53 AM

9,959 posts, read 17,866,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
Could be plantar fasciitis.
That's exactly what it sounds like to me. I've had problems on and off with this for years and the best thing that helps is good shoes with great arch support. The doc will give you injections, which will give you temporary pain relief and then they will send you to PT for awhile and then recommend special shoe inserts, which insurance generally won't pay for. Or you could go to a really good shoe store and tell them the problem and get a very good pair of shoes that you wear every day or they can also get you shoe inserts which will be cheaper than the medical ones and that will work nearly as well. You may as well throw away those flip flops b/c you won't be needing them any more--I wear crocs in the garden.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:48 PM

19,865 posts, read 57,906,987 times
I agree with the plantar fasc diagnosis. I've had it myself. No injections but exercises for my foot and an insert which my insurance did cover. Pain was gone in less than a week and has never come back (thank God).

Old 09-18-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I agree with the plantar fasc diagnosis. I've had it myself. No injections but exercises for my foot and an insert which my insurance did cover. Pain was gone in less than a week and has never come back (thank God).
You know, I just realized that I'm on a different insurance plan than I was--maybe I'll look into that again. Can you tell what some of the exercises were? I'd like to try some of them.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:35 PM

19,865 posts, read 57,906,987 times
What I remember is standing about a foot or so away from a wall and slowly leaning/bending one knee at a time to stretch that leg/foot. I kept my feet flat on the floor.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:29 AM

574 posts, read 933,322 times
Yesterday I didn't go barefoot at all and wore "sensible" shoes like the ones nurses wear. I didn't have the same pain as I have been when my feet hit the floor today. Also, I have to really watch not lying on my back or stomach when I sleep because I wake up with terrible back pain. Ah to get older or old...so much fun.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
You might have........Sciatica: What You Need to Know About Sciatica

I use to wear thongs and flats all the time. My foot was hurting, I would have a hard time putting it flat on the morning for the first 10 mins, until it was loosened up. I ended up needing orthopedic insoles. It corrected the pain and my feet feel much better.

The sciatic nerve causes a lot of pain, if left untreated. You'll most defiantly feel like your old.
I had sciatica when I was pregnant and it was nothing like what you're describing. It was more a tingling or pain running down my thigh. What you're describing sounds exactly like plantar fasciitis.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:38 PM

1,623 posts, read 2,578,973 times
Yep - Plantar Fasc.
Esp with the pain being worse when you wake up.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:43 PM

I'm hoping I will be able to get orthodics approval from my insurance company. I have a feeling the feet pain, knee pain, back pain and neck pain are all connected and maybe wearing orthodics will get my entire body straightened out. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:27 PM

Just got back from the Dr. It's my Achilles Tendon. Frickin Dr. didn't want me to go to an outside source for orthodics or splints. Almost didn't give me a prescription. Wanted me to pay out of pocket for his "in house" devices instead! Not! $75 just for a splint. If anyone suffers from this heel pain too I was given exercises to do at home, use ice, 600 mg Ibruprofen 3xa day and if this doesn't work, physical therapy. Could take months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness