U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 01:32 PM

5,946 posts, read 13,695,973 times

Advertisements

Might want a second opinion. I had a lot of back pain and foot pain, found shoes lacked support, especially on hard wood floors in new home. Change to good sneakers, walked for the sciatica, no more problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 03:07 PM

9,974 posts, read 17,891,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbekity View Post
Just got back from the Dr. It's my Achilles Tendon. Frickin Dr. didn't want me to go to an outside source for orthodics or splints. Almost didn't give me a prescription. Wanted me to pay out of pocket for his "in house" devices instead! Not! $75 just for a splint. If anyone suffers from this heel pain too I was given exercises to do at home, use ice, 600 mg Ibruprofen 3xa day and if this doesn't work, physical therapy. Could take months.
Why don't you go check out a really good old fashioned shoe store--you know, the kind where a clerk actually comes over to measure your feet? You'll be walking better from day one and you're going to have to do it anyway, even if you choose to stay with this doc. Other than orthotics, there's not really much the foot doc can do except hand out the advice he already gave you.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:06 AM

1,172 posts, read 1,968,461 times
I had plantar fasciitis. Very painful. Got a shot that didn't help but doing recommended exercise did. I lived with it for about a year.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:22 AM

11,346 posts, read 21,778,209 times
I had plantar fasciitis too. Mine used to recur about once a year, and then it would take six months to go away.

I haven't had it in three years. I started wearing Okabashi shoes. They're really inexpensive. It takes about two (painful) weeks to break in a new pair and then they last about a year. You can tell it's time to replace them when your feet start feeling tired when you walk.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:15 PM

8,181 posts, read 7,931,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I had plantar fasciitis too. Mine used to recur about once a year, and then it would take six months to go away.

I haven't had it in three years. I started wearing Okabashi shoes. They're really inexpensive. It takes about two (painful) weeks to break in a new pair and then they last about a year. You can tell it's time to replace them when your feet start feeling tired when you walk.
I have this problem as well with the PF and Achilles Tendon . a good pair of shoes with support is a must, and no more walking around barefoot. For me the injection didn't work, splint was just a nuisance, excersize helpful to a degree, but, having a dropped arch and extensive damage from years of wearing flip flops and walking around barefoot, hiking in the wrong footware, carrying too much weight and twisted ankles, has taken a permanent toll on these feet.

New balance shoes are pretty good, I used to find fantastic deals on-line, not so much anymore. I was just looking at those Okabashi shoes on Amazon and wondering, at that price, if they were any good, I might give them a try. Flip flops are ok, IMO, only if they have good support. I have a pair of ff that I wear often, which give me the best support of most all my shoes. Too bad they're no longer being sold, so I can't replace them with the same generic brand I will miss these ff.. If I knew then what I know now, I would have purchase them in every color they had two times over.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:54 AM

574 posts, read 934,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
I have this problem as well with the PF and Achilles Tendon . a good pair of shoes with support is a must, and no more walking around barefoot. For me the injection didn't work, splint was just a nuisance, excersize helpful to a degree, but, having a dropped arch and extensive damage from years of wearing flip flops and walking around barefoot, hiking in the wrong footware, carrying too much weight and twisted ankles, has taken a permanent toll on these feet.

New balance shoes are pretty good, I used to find fantastic deals on-line, not so much anymore. I was just looking at those Okabashi shoes on Amazon and wondering, at that price, if they were any good, I might give them a try. Flip flops are ok, IMO, only if they have good support. I have a pair of ff that I wear often, which give me the best support of most all my shoes. Too bad they're no longer being sold, so I can't replace them with the same generic brand I will miss these ff.. If I knew then what I know now, I would have purchase them in every color they had two times over.
The Dr. also said not to walk as exercise. Biking and swimming are better choices. This Dr. didn't even do an x ray which doesn't seem very thorough to me. Said he doesn't give shots for AH problems. Next is my visit to the place that does orthotics.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:15 AM

8,181 posts, read 7,931,589 times
Quote:
The Dr. also said not to walk as exercise. Biking and swimming are better choices. This Dr. didn't even do an x ray which doesn't seem very thorough to me. Said he doesn't give shots for AH problems. Next is my visit to the place that does orthotics.
For now, not walking is to give the foot time to heal, which is sensible advise. I'm not sure why an x-ray wasn't performed, that seems strange to me, but then, I'm no expert, I've included a link that gives some info about testing that might take place. As far as the shots, sometimes they can make the problem worse, so when my doc got that stick happy look in his eyes again, I said no way, it didn't help the first time you snuck attack me with that needle, I see you coming now, and will conter attack

Here are some helpful info and vids
Achilles Tendonitis: Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment

really good info IMO
Achilles Tendonitis Treatment, Treating Achilles Tendonitis the RIGHT way.

Heel Pain Videos & Plantar Fasciitis Videos

Testing that may take place
Achilles Tendon Problems-Exams and Tests

Old 09-25-2011, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,403 times
heels are quite painful..

Old 09-25-2011, 11:07 AM

11,346 posts, read 21,778,209 times
Quote:
Biking is wonderful exercise. It doesn't put any strain at all on your feet or ankles. You will feel it in your knees if you're doing a lot of hills on a single-speed bike, or not shifting gears to go up the hills on a multiple-speed bike. It's surprising how much of your body actually gets a workout when you bike, and you don't have to do something like 25 miles a day to feel the benefits from it, even a three or four mile a day ride will make a difference in how you feel and look after a couple weeks.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:14 PM

574 posts, read 934,115 times
I think the biking will be in the gym. Already had surgery on one of my knees. Torn meniscus in the other. Aging has been lot's of laughs so far!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness