U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 11:54 PM

8,874 posts, read 14,047,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbekity View Post
I think the biking will be in the gym. Already had surgery on one of my knees. Torn meniscus in the other. Aging has been lot's of laughs so far!
Oh, honey, I hear ya! I've had alternating boats of PF, Achilles tendon tears, and sciatica for years now. I don't put my feet on the floor in the morning without doing stretching exercises in bed first. Lower back exercises help the legs, too. I use an exercise program called the Miracle Ball Method that helps relax tight muscles a lot. It's more like yoga poses than exercising and it's done using plastic balls.
Pain Management and Pain Relief Products - Elaine Petrone.com

I had a pantyhose-and-high-heels job, then would come home and be in bare feet the rest of the night. Two extremes, neither of them good. I have the best luck today with Birkenstocks and a shoe line called Propet (available at shoebuy.com). They both have good arch supports. I think the toe bump that Birks have helps me, as does the heel cup that keeps my foot stable. Propet (accent mark on the e -- it's French) has dressier styles but they're well constructed and very padded for comfort. I have found one flip-flop that has a significant arch support. It's made by an exercise guy named Tony Little and sold via the Home Shopping Network. If you want to see them go to hsn.com and put Tony Little Cheeks Health Sandals in their search box. For such skimpy sandals they have major support. I can't wear them all day, but for that quick need for flip-flops they're much safer than the flat kind.

Good luck with your tendon. It takes forever to heal. One other tip to try. I noticed my Achilles tendon reacts badly to sitting on wood chairs that aren't padded. The edge of the seat pushes into the back of my thigh and I get referred pain all the way down to my ankle. Check that and see if it makes a difference for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 10:09 AM

574 posts, read 933,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Oh, honey, I hear ya! I've had alternating boats of PF, Achilles tendon tears, and sciatica for years now. I don't put my feet on the floor in the morning without doing stretching exercises in bed first. Lower back exercises help the legs, too. I use an exercise program called the Miracle Ball Method that helps relax tight muscles a lot. It's more like yoga poses than exercising and it's done using plastic balls.
Pain Management and Pain Relief Products - Elaine Petrone.com

I had a pantyhose-and-high-heels job, then would come home and be in bare feet the rest of the night. Two extremes, neither of them good. I have the best luck today with Birkenstocks and a shoe line called Propet (available at shoebuy.com). They both have good arch supports. I think the toe bump that Birks have helps me, as does the heel cup that keeps my foot stable. Propet (accent mark on the e -- it's French) has dressier styles but they're well constructed and very padded for comfort. I have found one flip-flop that has a significant arch support. It's made by an exercise guy named Tony Little and sold via the Home Shopping Network. If you want to see them go to hsn.com and put Tony Little Cheeks Health Sandals in their search box. For such skimpy sandals they have major support. I can't wear them all day, but for that quick need for flip-flops they're much safer than the flat kind.

Good luck with your tendon. It takes forever to heal. One other tip to try. I noticed my Achilles tendon reacts badly to sitting on wood chairs that aren't padded. The edge of the seat pushes into the back of my thigh and I get referred pain all the way down to my ankle. Check that and see if it makes a difference for you.
Thank you so much for the great info as I am sitting cross legged on my bed with my heel killing me. I too had the high heel job on hard floors standing for eight hours a day. Didn't have heel problems till I was in my 50's though and after putting on weight. Dropping about 40 would do me a world of good I'm sure.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:40 AM

11,344 posts, read 21,754,880 times
Quote:
I think the biking will be in the gym. Already had surgery on one of my knees. Torn meniscus in the other. Aging has been lot's of laughs so far!
If you already have knee issues, then swimming might be the way to go. I've done water aerobics before and it's a lot of fun.

I have knee problems, lots of metal in one of my legs from a bad break two years ago, and weigh too much to share here, but for me the bike has been great exercise. I had a recumbent exercise bike that I used before I got my regular bike, but I never seemed to get the same workout that I do now. Riding a bike seems to firm up everything on the top half and tighten up everything on the lower half...I've only lost 20 lbs so far but I've dropped 5 pants sizes in the last four months. The bike helps with pelvic floor muscles too.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
If you already have knee issues, then swimming might be the way to go. I've done water aerobics before and it's a lot of fun.

I have knee problems, lots of metal in one of my legs from a bad break two years ago, and weigh too much to share here, but for me the bike has been great exercise. I had a recumbent exercise bike that I used before I got my regular bike, but I never seemed to get the same workout that I do now. Riding a bike seems to firm up everything on the top half and tighten up everything on the lower half...I've only lost 20 lbs so far but I've dropped 5 pants sizes in the last four months. The bike helps with pelvic floor muscles too.
So you aren't having any knee pain with actually peddling on the street? What type of bike do you have and how many gears? We don't have bike lanes out here in the rural burbs and people drive terribly so kind of freaked out about riding a bike here!

Old 09-27-2011, 10:38 AM

1,009 posts, read 3,700,667 times
Quote:
We don't have bike lanes out here in the rural burbs and people drive terribly so kind of freaked out about riding a bike here!
Seriously consider the potential risks (trust your intuition) . . such as texting or otherwise distracted/impaired drivers, and the ambulance and hospital costs. The injuries from any type of bicycle mishap may negate the health benefits. Consider a used exercise bike from an area Craigslist seller (which can be used year around) . . example.

Google research

Old 09-27-2011, 10:50 AM

11,344 posts, read 21,754,880 times
The knee pain is always after I've overdone it on a ride, usually when I've got my 6 year old daughter behind me on her trail-a-bike. It doesn't usually start until the next day and then it's behind the knee on my non-dominant leg. It improves with rest. The other thing that can cause knee pain is having the seat adjusted too low.

I have a comfort bike with six speeds. The handlebars are higher than a mountain bike and the tires are a little smoother. You sit upright when you're riding, not leaning forward. It's not fast like a road bike or a hybrid, but it feels very stable and steady to an out-of-practice rider. My bike came from Academy and I don't think it was built to be ridden as much as I have...I've owned it four months and had to fix the back wheel bearings and replace the brake cables and a pedal already. My older daughter has a better bike from a bike shop, and she's ridden almost as much as me without any problems with her bike. We ride around the neighborhoods here, or on the sidewalks if we're on busy streets. We use helmets and we've got mirrors attached to the bikes. We also go to the bike trails around here...you can get a bike rack at Walmart that hooks on the back of your car and makes it really easy to take the bike somewhere.

There are websites that list the bike trails in different cities. You might be pleasantly surprised to find good trails near you. I didn't know we had any here until I started cycling and decided to look for trails. There are usually some riders going pretty fast on the trails, but they're careful around the slower riders.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
The knee pain is always after I've overdone it on a ride, usually when I've got my 6 year old daughter behind me on her trail-a-bike. It doesn't usually start until the next day and then it's behind the knee on my non-dominant leg. It improves with rest. The other thing that can cause knee pain is having the seat adjusted too low.

I have a comfort bike with six speeds. The handlebars are higher than a mountain bike and the tires are a little smoother. You sit upright when you're riding, not leaning forward. It's not fast like a road bike or a hybrid, but it feels very stable and steady to an out-of-practice rider. My bike came from Academy and I don't think it was built to be ridden as much as I have...I've owned it four months and had to fix the back wheel bearings and replace the brake cables and a pedal already. My older daughter has a better bike from a bike shop, and she's ridden almost as much as me without any problems with her bike. We ride around the neighborhoods here, or on the sidewalks if we're on busy streets. We use helmets and we've got mirrors attached to the bikes. We also go to the bike trails around here...you can get a bike rack at Walmart that hooks on the back of your car and makes it really easy to take the bike somewhere.

There are websites that list the bike trails in different cities. You might be pleasantly surprised to find good trails near you. I didn't know we had any here until I started cycling and decided to look for trails. There are usually some riders going pretty fast on the trails, but they're careful around the slower riders.
Here, if you are lucky, cars will move into the opposite lane to make room for bikers as there are only one lane highways with no bike lanes. The bikers can get pretty obnoxious about taking up the road sometimes as if no one would dare hit them. I'm not daring anyone!

Old 10-16-2011, 09:54 AM

1,009 posts, read 3,700,667 times
Bicycle downside . . Andrew Lessman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness