U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 02:45 PM

15,881 posts, read 32,976,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Well, this is a depressing topic as I recently turned 49

I've never been overweight, have done cardio and weight training regularly since age 20, and my recent physical showed near perfect bloodwork. I asked for an EKG since heart trouble runs in my family, and that came back excellent. I feel the same at 49 as I did at 25, so I don't anticipate death in my 50s.
It sounds like you don't mind going to the doctor for exams, I'm always amazed at how many people refuse to go unless it's an emergency. I know people right now who are over 60 and have never had a colonoscopy, these are usually the same ones who get all bent out of shape over the suggestion of a flu shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 07:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,013 times
Default People all around me dropping dead in their 50s

I joined this forum just so I could reply to your question. Yes! I have noticed people from my generation in thei r 50s dropping dead at extreme percentages. The way I found your question is that I was googling on that very subject to see if anyone else had noticed the trend. People in their 60s actually surviving better.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:46 PM

3,105 posts, read 2,096,522 times
Over the years I've had quite a few friends die in their 50's. My best friende died at 55---just like his father before him. Genetics plays a really big part and when combined with negative behaviors such as smoking, heavy drinking, lack of exercise, early death can become a reality.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:10 PM

185 posts, read 103,572 times
Do what you can, but it's still a gamble, roll of the dice. The young teacher getting smashed (dead) by a floating 200lb manhole cover on the way to work! Go figure.....

Old 09-11-2017, 04:19 PM

5,378 posts, read 4,566,328 times
YES -- it's happening, it seems to be limited to the U.S. (Explaining The Rising Death Rate In Middle-Aged White People : Shots - Health News : NPR), and nobody has a satisfactory answer. It is NOT due to suicide, drug abuse, or the other "despair" causes they're pointing to.

A close family member of mine, age 55, has just been diagnosed with a cancer that will kill him before age 60. While such anecdotes are nothing but stories, I've been noticing it for a while now.

Old 09-11-2017, 04:26 PM

5,914 posts, read 3,880,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post

Over the years I've had quite a few friends die in their 50's. My best friende died at 55---just like his father before him. Genetics plays a really big part and when combined with negative behaviors such as smoking, heavy drinking, lack of exercise, early death can become a reality.
environmental pollution is also a significant cause

Old 09-11-2017, 04:26 PM

82,633 posts, read 75,729,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Elanor Mondale and Kara Kennedy both just died at age 51. While I was in my 50s, eight coworkers died, most of heart attacks, and all were in their early to late 50s. I decided that the best guarantee of a long life was to survive your 50s so my 60th birthday was cause for celebration and relief. So far, so good!

Anyone else ever notice this trend which most of us, thus far, have been able to avoid or live beyond. I have my theory as to why the 50s are so "dangerous," other than it being a corporate plot to avoid pension payments. What are yours, if any?
I thought the main bottleneck was the 60's, after everyone's been through significant hormonal changes. But maybe I have it wrong. I've read that if you make it through that mid-life weeding-out process (whichever decade it may be), you're chances of having a long life after that are high. As far as I know, only one friend from way back keeled in his 50's. Everyone else is still going strong, though a couple for them have had to deal with cancer, but they're fine, now.

Old 09-11-2017, 04:30 PM

12,554 posts, read 7,631,724 times
I know people in their 50s that never go to a doctor, eat tons of junk food, don't care about exercise, etc. This probably worked out fine in their 20s, 30s and 40s, so they continued living that way into their 50s...until a health problem caught up with them.

Old 09-11-2017, 04:34 PM

5,914 posts, read 3,880,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Eleanor Mondale and Kara Kennedy both just died at age 51. While I was in my 50s, eight coworkers died, most of heart attacks, and all were in their early to late 50s.
Eleanor Mondale died of brain cancer.

Kara Kennedy was anorexic which put a big strain on her heart, and she had a heart attack while exercising. She also had lung cancer 9 years before her death, which was surgically removed.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:48 PM

26,439 posts, read 9,899,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
It sounds like you don't mind going to the doctor for exams, I'm always amazed at how many people refuse to go unless it's an emergency. I know people right now who are over 60 and have never had a colonoscopy, these are usually the same ones who get all bent out of shape over the suggestion of a flu shot.

Yep that's me never had a colonoscopy, two mammograms in early 50's and NOT a flu shot for about 30 yrs..and just turned 79. WHat's wrong with my picture, true I don't like to run to doctors. If it ain't broke why mess around with whatever.

I live with advancing arthritis and went thru one messy hip replacement 7 yrs that left me with complications that left me with a worse knee and worse ankle.

Otherwise healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness