Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 06:35 AM

10,181 posts, read 6,236,818 times

Advertisements

I knew two women who died from breast cancer, One in her mid 40's and other in her early 50's. Both had close family members who also died from it at around the same ages. They started having mammograms done far younger than the recommended age (50?) because of their family history.

Jamin, aren't you around the age now where they stop doing all these preventive testing, exception being flu shots? Over 75? I am turning 69 in a few months. Never had any of those tests, nor a flu shot in my entire life.

"if it ain't broken why mess around with whatever". I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 08:56 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,206,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Yep that's me never had a colonoscopy, two mammograms in early 50's and NOT a flu shot for about 30 yrs..and just turned 79. WHat's wrong with my picture, true I don't like to run to doctors. If it ain't broke why mess around with whatever.

I live with advancing arthritis and went thru one messy hip replacement 7 yrs that left me with complications that left me with a worse knee and worse ankle.

Otherwise healthy.

I think that you rolled the dice with the colonoscopy and the mammograms -- especially the former -- but you gambled and won.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:56 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,577,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I knew two women who died from breast cancer, One in her mid 40's and other in her early 50's. Both had close family members who also died from it at around the same ages. They started having mammograms done far younger than the recommended age (50?) because of their family history.

Jamin, aren't you around the age now where they stop doing all these preventive testing, exception being flu shots? Over 75? I am turning 69 in a few months. Never had any of those tests, nor a flu shot in my entire life.

"if it ain't broken why mess around with whatever". I agree.

I think there is a cut off age when the mamms are not pushed/recommended. My doctor never brings it up so it's not discussed. My 90 yr old neighbor was a "good girl" into her mid 80's getting those mamms and once she got to know me and what I do for my health, she stopped them, but wished it was a lot of years sooner. The doctors didn't stop her even into 80's. They would probably still be doing them in her 90's.

I count on drops of iodine daily too for breast health. All body tissues need iodine

Old 09-12-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I think that you rolled the dice with the colonoscopy and the mammograms -- especially the former -- but you gambled and won.
Whatever rolling the dice or just not thinking about the tests so much and trusting my own health, I've done good. I just don't walk in "fear". Plus years of supplements probably hasn't hurt.

Old 09-12-2017, 12:08 PM

48,306 posts, read 34,442,387 times
I know quite a few who died in their 40s, BUT I know even more who didn't. A lot is genetics.

You can choose not to hedge your bets with diet, exercise and regular doctor visits.

But if you are skipping the doctor, you could just not know all the things that are wrong with you, many do not have symptoms, to me that is just passive suicide.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-12-2017, 12:26 PM

Whatever happened to being thine own doctor?

My favorite radio MD, Dr. Darrow, forever says, want to be healthy stay away from doctors. Go to a surgeon and they want to do surgery.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Whatever happened to being thine own doctor?

My favorite radio MD, Dr. Darrow, forever says, want to be healthy stay away from doctors. Go to a surgeon and they want to do surgery.

Well because I have not gone to medical school. What do you think they do? Sit around and play poker?

I've gone to surgeons who don't recommend surgery.

How is going to my GP going to keep me from being healthy? She does my EKG, monitors my BP and takes my blood work. My RA doctors monitors my RA to make sure it is staying "quiet", if not he would recommend different treatments.

People with radio shows have to have schtict, or they are boring and no listeners.

YOUR lack of medical knowledge is a case in point. My doctors make me healthy, I exercise, do sports and am very productive. Without them I would be like you, restricted in physical activity, walker, and basically housebound.

Which do you think I would choose? And BTW, I have (and had) TONS more medical problems than you. Without doctors I would literally be crippled. And no, the doctors did not CAUSE that, they cured it.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:11 PM

My lack of medical knowledge???? My own knowledge keeps me healthy and yes OA is the major issue but otherwise, good. I have NOT had tons of health issues. And I guess my genes go a long way here. And MAYBE the powerful antioxidant is doing even more than I can even realize. As far as the MD who has been on radio for 18 yrs give or take, works to help people to stay away from surgery. Talking about weight and more issues all health related.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
My lack of medical knowledge???? My own knowledge keeps me healthy and yes OA is the major issue but otherwise, good. I have NOT had tons of health issues. And I guess my genes go a long way here. And MAYBE the powerful antioxidant is doing even more than I can even realize. As far as the MD who has been on radio for 18 yrs give or take, works to help people to stay away from surgery. Talking about weight and more issues all health related.

I'm sorry, you are not what I would consider healthy. My Mom is your age (goes to the doctor regularly) and is super active.

You take all the junk science (mostly) and use that. You eat keto (I know a lot disagree that it is bad) missing out on all kinds of healthy nutrients that help you heal.

A good doctor could give you back your life. You could clean your house, get rid of the walker, go outside, drive...... Not guaranteed, but you would have a much better chance and save tons of money not buying all those supplements.

PLUS you buy supplements from ebay, a place inundated with knock-offs from China (you can't tell, they mimic them perfectly).

You choose to injest ONE antioxidant, instead of eating lots of fruits and vegetables which contain millions.

Despite the fact that 30% of supplements tested contain "nothing" you are convinced (by belief) that yours aren't.

Part of me feels bad for you, but you have made your choices and won't listen to anyone.

You have a chance to reclaim your life, or at least a good portion of it, but you refuse.

Last edited by Mikala43; 09-12-2017 at 01:43 PM..

Old 09-12-2017, 01:28 PM

10,955 posts, read 7,006,279 times
From my perspective, observing many people, the 50s are a decade of reckoning for most. A person can correct poor eating and personal habits to get on a healthier road and carry them to next decade (or decades), or they do nothing and let the past pattern get the best of them. Many take the easy way out, and fade away. It can be hard to reverse decades of eating and living a certain way. And you could make a case that life is less fun these days, compared to more simple times. People have more "stuff" on their plate (more overworked), less free time, crazier/more dysfunctional politics, more awareness of issues regionally and around the world, less family time and connection, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness