U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-16-2017, 08:45 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
25,187 posts, read 30,059,309 times
Reputation: 31321

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Did your first mammogram show cancer? Or did it show something suspicious that might be cancer?


My cardiologist got away with that once. He saw something suspicious and recommended a heart cath, which turned out to show nothing. But he got a bunch of Medicare money for his effort. And I went through a totally unnecessary procedure, complete with anesthesia. They won't fool me again with that little trick.
Do you realize that the only way to confirm your cardiologist's suspicion was to do the test?

Normal results do not mean a test was "totally unnecessary" and should have never been done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-16-2017, 11:30 PM
 
4,508 posts, read 2,280,547 times
Reputation: 9572
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Do you realize that the only way to confirm your cardiologist's suspicion was to do the test?

Normal results do not mean a test was "totally unnecessary" and should have never been done.
OK, I'll play.


A couple of years after my experience, that particular heart hospital was fined millions of dollars and made to pay back millions of dollars for UNNECESSARY PROCEDURES.


Clear enough?


Make them show you what they claim to see. Make them show you a comparison as to what it should look like without whatever they claim to see. Make them prove the procedure is necessary.


I've said this before; I'll say it again: The doctor who often appears on ABC (female, blond, I can't think of her name) recently said that a large number of breast surgeries are unnecessary. I really wasn't paying attention because babbling medical experts aren't something I pay attention to. But that got my attention. It confirmed what I've been saying for years.


It's all about the money. Period. /end
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2017, 01:58 AM
 
Location: on the wind
9,613 posts, read 4,265,380 times
Reputation: 32358
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Did your first mammogram show cancer? Or did it show something suspicious that might be cancer?
My first mammogram confirmed that I had stage 3 breast cancer at age 36. I found the lump myself, scheduled the biopsy and got the mammogram so the surgeon would have both results. The biopsy was also positive; no question or doubt. I went through what was standard treatment at the time. Surgery to remove the cancerous tumor, axial lymph node testing (it was positive for cancerous cells), chemo, radiation, and hormone therapy. I had no complications from treatment other than the most common side effects that were temporary and ended when treatment did. All this took place over 20 years ago. No known risk factors, no family history, raised on pretty minimally processed fresh foods from childhood too. No alcohol, smoking, other "lifestyle choice" smoking guns there.

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-17-2017 at 02:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2017, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
25,187 posts, read 30,059,309 times
Reputation: 31321
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
OK, I'll play.


A couple of years after my experience, that particular heart hospital was fined millions of dollars and made to pay back millions of dollars for UNNECESSARY PROCEDURES.


Clear enough?


Make them show you what they claim to see. Make them show you a comparison as to what it should look like without whatever they claim to see. Make them prove the procedure is necessary.


I've said this before; I'll say it again: The doctor who often appears on ABC (female, blond, I can't think of her name) recently said that a large number of breast surgeries are unnecessary. I really wasn't paying attention because babbling medical experts aren't something I pay attention to. But that got my attention. It confirmed what I've been saying for years.


It's all about the money. Period. /end
How do you know your test was unnecessary?

Again, a negative result on a test does not mean it should never have been done.

I had a colonoscopy a few months ago. No polyps were found. That does not mean that the colonoscopy was unnecessary.

The problem with breast cancer has to do with the very early form of the disease, which will not always progress. The difficulty is there is no way to tell whether an individual patient will have a problem in the future or not. That is why some women are considered to be "overtreated". Did the blond female talking head on ABC have a solution to that situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2017, 03:13 AM
 
Location: Glasgow Scotland
15,429 posts, read 13,370,891 times
Reputation: 22702
OH for gods sake.. we all get a number and when that numbers up its up... Im not going trudging annoyng doctors for tests and such when they dont have a clue what I have just now and have had for fifty odd years...so it didnt kill me but I could have had a much better life without having it... so thanks docs.. you dont listen and are more interested in what you can earn, Ive made it to 70 and have no plans on leaving just yet.. get on with life and stop worrying about whos dropping dead around you.. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2017, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
15,911 posts, read 12,707,639 times
Reputation: 11960
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I've known a few to die suddenly in their fifties, but that is not the rule.
Retirement age is also dangerous. I have kept busy working since I retired. But I had several coworkers that told me I would work myself to death. Those that insisted I would die early are now dead. You cannot retire and simply do nothing. Sitting too long in front of the computer or TV will kill you. Through evolution humans were always gatherers, hunters, farmers - not sitters. You don't have to keep busy working; but you have to have a hobby or a reason to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2017, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Glasgow Scotland
15,429 posts, read 13,370,891 times
Reputation: 22702
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Retirement age is also dangerous. I have kept busy working since I retired. But I had several coworkers that told me I would work myself to death. Those that insisted I would die early are now dead. You cannot retire and simply do nothing. Sitting too long in front of the computer or TV will kill you. Through evolution humans were always gatherers, hunters, farmers - not sitters. You don't have to keep busy working; but you have to have a hobby or a reason to live.
Hard work in the past killed many people too but I see what your saying... I like photography and walks with my wee dog ,and I love history but it keeps me on the computer too much.. I really have to cut down on my time on here.. its not good for anyone...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2017, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
15,911 posts, read 12,707,639 times
Reputation: 11960
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Hard work in the past killed many people too but I see what your saying... I like photography and walks with my wee dog ,and I love history but it keeps me on the computer too much.. I really have to cut down on my time on here.. its not good for anyone...
My feeling is that people do not have to go to a gym. Many of us bought into saving steps and park as close as possible to the stores we shop at. I know, that while there could be security concerns; that many of us would be better off with the few extra steps from the back of the parking lots. Some of us can put an extra flight of stairs in their normal routine. Burning a few extra calories will not kill us; it could save us! That said; I better get out on my yard work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2017, 09:18 AM
 
Location: Glasgow Scotland
15,429 posts, read 13,370,891 times
Reputation: 22702
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
My feeling is that people do not have to go to a gym. Many of us bought into saving steps and park as close as possible to the stores we shop at. I know, that while there could be security concerns; that many of us would be better off with the few extra steps from the back of the parking lots. Some of us can put an extra flight of stairs in their normal routine. Burning a few extra calories will not kill us; it could save us! That said; I better get out on my yard work!
very true and I totally agree.. I dont drive so when my hubby was working the car sat at the gate, it never bothered me at all, I would walk for a couple of miles most days instead of getting a bus to the shopping centre.. on a nice day.. loved it.. but once he stopped work due to illness I had then the use of the car to go shopping.. and I got lazy, put on weight, and felt sluggish so what did I do , I got a wee dog, best thing Ive did, IM out in all weathers taking him walks..and Ive found another hobby, my beautiful wee dog.. just adore him...and buying a good digi camera is a great way to have fun and get exercise..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2017, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
34,985 posts, read 22,044,864 times
Reputation: 50360
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
My feeling is that people do not have to go to a gym. Many of us bought into saving steps and park as close as possible to the stores we shop at. I know, that while there could be security concerns; that many of us would be better off with the few extra steps from the back of the parking lots. Some of us can put an extra flight of stairs in their normal routine. Burning a few extra calories will not kill us; it could save us! That said; I better get out on my yard work!

That would really only help if I ran back and forth from the car to the store a few times.
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top