Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 07:24 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, the odds are on your side if you watch your health, but there are no guarantees.
Hence the bad "joke" about health conscious people dying of absolutely nothing because they did everything right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 07:42 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,997,969 times
Well, I hope this isn't true in my case as I turn 52 soon and do have bad habits (which I am trying to correct).

Thing is, death can strike anyone at any moment. Get behind the wheel of your car today and there is always the possibility that today might be your last day.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Well, I hope this isn't true in my case as I turn 52 soon and do have bad habits (which I am trying to correct).

Thing is, death can strike anyone at any moment. Get behind the wheel of your car today and there is always the possibility that today might be your last day.
Well, long ago I decided that if I did everything I had to in order to live to be 100 I'd have no reason to want so long a life!

Old 09-19-2011, 08:33 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
I have noticed this trend, too, Curmudgeon. Several of my friends died of cancer during their 50s, one in her 60s and all were very conscientious "health nuts." However, the genetics were such that the cancer was not a total surprise, despite their catching it early and fighting it to the end.

However, the stunning losses were from friends (all male) who died of massive strokes and/or heart attacks in their mid 50s-early 60s. I would like to emphasize that all these men were in healthcare, including one doc! They appeared to be very healthy people but here is the one thing hubby and I have agreed is the factor they shared in common: Type A personalities, high achievers, high stress jobs (all execs). Up early, still in meetings often at midnite. They did not ignore their health; they were not overweight, no high-risk behaviors, etc but all were pushing their whole careers, moving up the ladder, high earners. One was on meds for high blood pressure but monitored his diet and was physically active and in shape.

So hubby and I think that the high stress over decades takes a huge toll and for some, pushes the body past its limits at too young an age. Not everyone handles stress the same way, but for those who internalize and are constantly under the corporate "gun" - the health results can be disastrous.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:35 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,997,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Well, long ago I decided that if I did everything I had to in order to live to be 100 I'd have no reason to want so long a life!
Not to mention the fact that I seriously doubt I could make it financially to 100. My theory is that whatever you don't think is going to kill you is going to kill you. Of course, smoking, obesity, etc increases risks, just as eating right and exercising decreases risks. However, one can focus til the cows come home on either and then get hit by a strike of lightning or have some murderer break in one night and you're gone.

All we can do is the best we can to minimize risks, but I tell you after seeing how some people live in an advanced stage of age, I think I'd just as soon not live to be that old.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:53 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
I also wonder if our current medical training is less comprehensive. I have used an HMO that rarely has Drs over age 30. I often feel they don't have a depth of analysis that some of my more experienced Drs did.

Often symptoms are assigned medication that creates different systems and falsely masks the original problem. Perfect example last week when a house guest became very weak, but all vitals were strong. Medical history revealed 27 current meds prescribed to keep vitals good.

bottom line = 6 days in hospital 'de-toxing' to reveal true root cause.

I also wonder if the body @ 50 tries to tell folks something... (i.e. you are DECLINING as you have been for 20 yrs). Treat your activities with care, realizing you are no longer age 20. Lots of 50 somethings (guy and gal) die pursuing their identity crisis of aging... (Harley, sportscar, boat, bike,ski crashes. Burning candle at both ends (too many jobs, too many 'partners'). Adult children stress (can be greater than ever imagined...). Job / career decline (I'm all for THAT, but many aged workers take it quite personal, I watch younger managers doing what I did (work too HARD vs, smart.).

Just be grateful for each breath and don't get too worried about it... we are all gonna 'check-out'.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
...the factor they shared in common: Type A personalities, high achievers, high stress jobs (all execs). Up early, still in meetings often at midnite. They did not ignore their health; they were not overweight, no high-risk behaviors, etc but all were pushing their whole careers, moving up the ladder, high earners. One was on meds for high blood pressure but monitored his diet and was physically active and in shape.

So hubby and I think that the high stress over decades takes a huge toll and for some, pushes the body past its limits at too young an age. Not everyone handles stress the same way, but for those who internalize and are constantly under the corporate "gun" - the health results can be disastrous.
I believe you're right. I used to be Type A. After divorce and two years of introspection that followed I somewhat reinvented myself, rid myself of anger and took it a lot easier. No longer was I driven nor did I permit my job's high stress to affect me. I still did good work and a lot of it but at the same time I learned to relax, be easy on myself and others and stop to smell the flowers. Perhaps it's a major reason I'm still around!

Old 09-19-2011, 10:24 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
It is a shame when a 'perfectly healthy-in fantastic condition' body dies.
Sort of like totalling a car with only 17,000 miles on it.
I'm abusing mine just enough to enjoy what I want and so that when I go, you'll know I had gotten good use out of it

Old 09-19-2011, 10:38 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,347,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I think the real culprit is the so-called American diet. Americans eat the most unnatural, unhealthy, non-foods on the planet.

It doesn't help that we get little exercise and that the car-centric suburban sprawl that passes for urban planning encourages people to drive everywhere instead of walk or ride bikes.

This article from LiveScience says that:

93% of diabetes is completely preventable
81% of heart disease is completely preventable
36% of cancer is completely preventable.

These are the 3 big diseases that shorten life and are also driving up health care costs, especially heart disease.

Key to Affordable Health Care Revealed | LiveScience

Yes, totally agree.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:43 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,347,630 times
I just wanted to thank the kind words about my brother passing. Although, he was my "kid brother" (yeah, even at 51) and I loved him very much, he never took care of himself.

It can be mind boggling to know people know what they need to do to keep themselves at least healthy and never or rarely do any of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness