Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 09:00 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,246,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I also wonder if our current medical training is less comprehensive. I have used an HMO that rarely has Drs over age 30. I often feel they don't have a depth of analysis that some of my more experienced Drs did.

Often symptoms are assigned medication that creates different systems and falsely masks the original problem. Perfect example last week when a house guest became very weak, but all vitals were strong. Medical history revealed 27 current meds prescribed to keep vitals good.

bottom line = 6 days in hospital 'de-toxing' to reveal true root cause.

I also wonder if the body @ 50 tries to tell folks something... (i.e. you are DECLINING as you have been for 20 yrs). Treat your activities with care, realizing you are no longer age 20. Lots of 50 somethings (guy and gal) die pursuing their identity crisis of aging... (Harley, sportscar, boat, bike,ski crashes. Burning candle at both ends (too many jobs, too many 'partners'). Adult children stress (can be greater than ever imagined...). Job / career decline (I'm all for THAT, but many aged workers take it quite personal, I watch younger managers doing what I did (work too HARD vs, smart.).

Just be grateful for each breath and don't get too worried about it... we are all gonna 'check-out'.
There are many posts in this thread I could have quoted, but I chose this one to respond.

I was taken back when I first saw the thread title. I've had almost no thought or concern to impending death. Death will happen when it's going to happen.

There are many varibles that could affect the outcome of our health and predisposition to health, senescence and longevity. Genetics plays a big role. Some pull an unlucky genome and are less prone to a long life. Others have been exposed to many environmental toxins throughout life, especially in the post WWII generation. I think lifestyle choices fall behind both genetics and environmental exposure. Poorer people are exposed to many more environmental exposures. I also think how someone ages has a lot to do with attitude. If someone tells themselves everyday that they are old, unhealthy, can't do things like they use to do, ect. then they will go downhill fast.

I'm 53 and I've smoke since I was 18. I've half heartedly tried to quit a few times, and failed. I look 10 years younger than I am; I've feel healthy; I am fairly active and I eat so-so healthily. The smoking has to stop. I won't go into it but it's not just a health thing for me. I started jogging/walking last week and did pretty darn good considering how long I've smoked and my age. I can walk endlessly, but jogging takes me doing it to get fit. Last Saturday I rode my bike on a short bike ride (about 6 miles with hills).

I can play tennis, dance and do many things better and last longer than people who are much younger than me. Even with me smoking. I dont know why. Of course, there are many changes with my body. I've blown my left knee many times and there are other joint related things and some small amount of back pain at times. But for me, I will not allow those changes to make me stop doing things.

As for the risky adventures that someone mentioned. I think people should just use some common sense. Just because someone is in their 50's or whatever age doesn't mean they should stop doing things, whether it's ride a Harley or scale a mountain. That is the mental attitude I spoke about. I do believe we have to know our own bodies and know how far we can push ourselves, but I will not stop living and hiking or doing things because the world may think a 50-something should be taking it easy.

None of us are going to know when we're going to die or what will cause it, therefore I think people should get out and explore the world; do things; move; sweat; and freaking enjoy life and do not worry when you're going to die. You might get hit by a semi on the way home from work so go hike or bike or do whatever you enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 12:44 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,289,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Elanor Mondale and Kara Kennedy both just died at age 51. While I was in my 50s, eight coworkers died, most of heart attacks, and all were in their early to late 50s. I decided that the best guarantee of a long life was to survive your 50s so my 60th birthday was cause for celebration and relief. So far, so good!

Anyone else ever notice this trend which most of us, thus far, have been able to avoid or live beyond. I have my theory as to why the 50s are so "dangerous," other than it being a corporate plot to avoid pension payments. What are yours, if any?

I do not believe there is any conspiracy theory. I think the 50's is a natural process to weed out the weaker, plain and simple. In the not so distant past few people lived into old age as we know it today.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:22 AM

17,531 posts, read 39,089,856 times
Yes, I believe the 50s are the age where things finally start "catching up" to people. We are all different, but my mom died of lung cancer in her 50s, as did one of my cousins. My husband has had several friends and co-workers die of health issues in their 50s. The 50s is a good time to re-tool and change our habits if we have bad ones and think about being healthy enough to enjoy the rest of our lives. The 50s is NOT too late to help reverse or delay the aging process and get into the best shape of our lives.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:22 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,425,824 times
This reminded me of something that took place at my workplace a few years ago.

There was a big shake up amongst upper management. The CEO, some AVPs, VPs and other high ranking people were forced to retire taking their golden parachutes with them.

Of the group, many had been with the company a very long time and were in their 50's. Shortly after the purge, we heard about some of them having strokes, heart attacks and other serious illnesses they had not seem to have had before. One VP actually died of his heart attack. He had been working in his office when it happened. He was the second of these to be taken away in an ambulance from our office.

We all couldn't help wondering if somehow the age and the shock of being taken out of so prominent positions could have added to their illnesses. Some of them were into healthy living so it was not only personal lifestyle that could have caused this.

Could a drastic and unexpected change in life such as this cause heart attacks at 50?

Old 09-28-2011, 11:44 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,412,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Yes, I believe the 50s are the age where things finally start "catching up" to people.
You took the words out of my mouth. There are tragic deaths of people younger than 50, but these are pretty isolated. Around 50 is when it seems to ratchet up some, and I do think it's often due to people not accepting that their bodies won't tolerate their lifestyle anymore. My husband grew up in a neighborhood famous for having a lot of bars, where heavy drinking has always seemed to be almost universal. Lots of guys (and some women) he grew up with have checked out early. It doesn't have to be alcohol and drugs. It could be poor diet, lack of excersize, smoking. Everyone's body wears out over time, and around 50 is when more people's bodies seem to be saying, "enough is enough".

Last edited by subject2change; 09-28-2011 at 12:44 PM..

Old 09-28-2011, 12:41 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,246,075 times
@subjectochange and gypsychic, Yes! I agree. Even though I still feel healthy and fit I've noticed little changes with my body. I just turned 53, but noticed things seemed to ratchet up a bit a couple of years ago. This is a good time to think about what you want out of life, and what type of things you enjoy. I can't drink and party like I did in my 20's and rebound the next day, LOL. Of course, I lack the desire to go out and party it up every weekend, too.

Funny, when I did the very short bike ride last Sat. my friend and I were visiting. He is 49 and extremely fit since he rides the bike everywhere, and we talked about the physical changes. Not only do we lack the desire to party like we did in our 20's but our 50 y/o bodies cannot take the abuse.

My biggest thing is the smoking and this is the time to win against the addiction. For me, I think the physical activity of running, biking, hiking and lifting weights will help me conquer the addicion. I'm not afraid of lung cancer as much as I am emphysema. I can't be active if I'm dragging and oxygen tank, so....I have to relinquish them.

I really do believe that attitude along with physical activity will help people feel physically better as they age.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:15 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,218,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
A fitting legacy to fast food, chemical additives, processed food, etc. The mortality rate is going to start getting younger and younger. This is just the beginning.

20yrsinBranson
Umm....WRONG....

The "mortality rate" continues to get older NOT younger....despite fast food, chemical additives and processed food.

As for "legacies" Kara Kennedy was a smoker diagnosed with lung cancer years before....not exactly surprising she died when she did.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:39 AM

158 posts, read 332,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
My best friend died of Cancer at age 56. She always ate healthy, rode her bike, hiked and neither smoked nor drank. She was the poster child for healthy living. But Cancer ran in her family. Her mother and brother died of this disease. She had hoped that by living healthy she would be able to avoid getting sick but it was not meant to be.

Sometimes things happen and although we may try, we just cannot change them.

My sister died at 47 from ovarian cancer. My mother and her four sisters, all have breast cancer

My father had Celiac disease and diabetes. He died from a heart attack.

I exercise, eat better than the average person around me (never eat junk food, it's just too gross!), but there are those darn genes to contend with

The countdown continues.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:27 PM

37,085 posts, read 41,208,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsIzzy View Post
My sister died at 47 from ovarian cancer. My mother and her four sisters, all have breast cancer
There are things you can do to reduce your risk of following in their footsteps. I hope you have discussed it with your doctor.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:56 PM

158 posts, read 332,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There are things you can do to reduce your risk of following in their footsteps. I hope you have discussed it with your doctor.

Yes, I am taking one of those steps at the end of October (radical hyterectomy), but the twins I am not too sure about.

I get regular mammograms, and I even had a breast MRI done. So far, so good. The genetic testing part is expensive...not sure how to handle even knowing whether I carry the gene or not. It's something I continue pondering (testing), but I'm not making myself sick over it.

Eating right, and exercising. Never been a smoker or drinker.

I am quite boring I guess But I do live to travel. That's my vice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness