Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 10:04 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,458,599 times

Advertisements

Fresh squeezed lemonade with lots of sugar use to do it for me. lol I dont miss drinking at all. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 12:01 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,100,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
How does one get rid of the nauseating feeling that just wants to make u vomit and wretch!!! ugh, My head is pounding, my back and legs hurt for some reason. I feel like I was hit by a bus.

I'm not a frequent drinker, so when I do "throw a few back" I'm literally physically in pain the next day, it is awful!!!!
Waking-up with "a hanger" used to be pretty much a way of life for me, as I drank heavily for years. I've been sober for a bit over seven years now so i don't have to deal with 'em anymore, but I'm an expert on them! LOL.

The primary reason for the anguish of a hangover is dehydration and also the massive drop in your blood sugar level, since booze is loaded with sugar.
Hence: the best cure for a hanger is to drink something sweet: fruit juice is best. Drink lots of it, if you can stomach it.
But: you can do a "pre-emptive strike" if you want to avoid the morning hangover by drinking three or four glasses of water at night after your drinking bout, before you go to bed.
When you drink hard liquor, drink only name brands. They have less impurities in them than do the cheap rot-gut.
Never mix "the gain with the grape", i.e. beer with hard liquor.
Wine makes for a particularly nasty hangover, since it has a ton of sugar in it in the form of fructose.

To be honest, I always found the very best hangover cure to be "hair of the dog that bit ya." But, while this is effective, it can lead to another drinking episode--if you're like I was--and hence, yet another risk of facing the morning hangover all over again. But if you can control yourself and drink one, say, bloodymary (with tabasco & V8!) or screwdriver in the a.m. and then quit, and get some more food and non-alcoholic fluid in ya, you can beat the hanger!

Lastly: I purposely avoided giving you the obviously most logical way to beat a hanger: "just don't drink" for a reason. And that is, that back when I drank and would ask about hangover cures and someone said that, I always felt like putting their head through a wall. LOL.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:29 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,561,848 times
great advice drummerboy.
The very worst hangover's I ever had, were from cheap wine, and Schnaaps, stay away from that stuff, if you're prone to over-indulge.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:30 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,100,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
great advice drummerboy.
The very worst hangover's I ever had, were from cheap wine, and Schnaaps, stay away from that stuff, if you're prone to over-indulge.
Yeah, Schnapps can be truly evil the next morning.
Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-24-2011 at 09:57 AM..

Old 09-22-2011, 03:57 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Buffered asprin, 2 bananas, a boiled egg with a lot of tabasco sauce and a couple of squirts of Worchestire sauce directly on the tongue.

Not sure, but the buffered asprin by itself would probably work too.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:38 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,997,474 times
Well, they say to alternate your drinks with glasses of water or to at least drink water along with your drinks. Granted, if what you're looking for is to get drunk, this may defeat the purpose.

Drink a lot of water before bed. I agree with both the aspirin and alka seltzer and B Vitamin suggestions.

Never mix your booze. Stick with one thing for the night. It makes a huge difference. When I used to drink, I only drank red wine. Never got a hangover expect maybe once a year at the most and that's stretching it. Sort of made it easier to throw back a few on maybe a few more occasions than I should have. My advice is to absolutely stay away from hard liquor. I never touched the stuff except when much younger. I drank beer and wine (although beer rarely) and that was it. I might have had a margarita once every year or two and that was it.

As to once you're stuck with it, well, some swear by Menudo (tripe soup). Well, I would never bring myself to eat that. But I tell ya, there is nothing like a big, fat somewhat greasy carne asada burrito to cure you. I suppose anything greasy would do the same (or did for me when I was younger and did mix alcohols or drink the hard stuff on occasion - but we're talking many moons ago).

Old 09-24-2011, 10:04 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,561,848 times
You can't be serious. Tobasco and greasy burrito's for somebody that is already sick to their stomach?
No, nice tall vanilla milkshake or what Drummerboy suggested.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:08 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,421,693 times
Actually, when I was young and I did drink, I was a waitress at a restaurant that had good homemade soups, and the beef vegetable soup used to make me feel a lot better. For one thing the broth was probably good for rehydrating me.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:21 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
How does one get rid of the nauseating feeling that just wants to make u vomit and wretch!!! ugh, My head is pounding, my back and legs hurt for some reason. I feel like I was hit by a bus.

I'm not a frequent drinker, so when I do "throw a few back" I'm literally physically in pain the next day, it is awful!!!!
Before you go to bed drink at least 16 ounces of water and take two aspirin (not ibuprofen, not acetaminiphen, no Advil, not Excederine).

ASPIRIN.

Then when you wake up in the morning drink another glass of water and take two more aspirin.

You should be ok.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-24-2011, 10:28 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,281,607 times
Should I tell you all that I've never had a hangover? Even the times that I mixed multiple drinks (one night: fuzzy navel, white Russian, Cape Cod, beer, sex on the beach, kamikaze, and cherries in grain alcohol) or drank a bottle of champagne by myself.

However, I am one who needs to drink water or some other non-alcoholic drink in between alcoholic drinks, and I also nibble throughout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness