U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 09:16 AM

5,379 posts, read 7,796,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
Try salycilic acid, I like the Paula's choice products, or a prescription retinoid.
Retin A not only made me all red but I peeled too. My skin never got used to it. Bad experience. When I say I've had every prescription and non prescription out there, I do mean it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 07:49 PM

9,958 posts, read 16,571,689 times
I can understand why your daughter gets defensive when you mention her acne. I had severe acne, too---the cyst kind--from age 11 until age 25. Like your daughter, I did everything, went to dermotalogists, followed their advice to the letter! and every type of OTC, remedies, diet, etc. Some things helped more than others, but nothing cures acne.

I was especially sensitive, because it seemed everyone had advice to give. Friends, family, complete strangers, waitresses, sales clerks, It really got old. Yes, yes, I KNOW---I have pimples, thanks for pointing that out, and, of course, I've NEVER even thought to try anything, oh, geez, thanks, will try it....

Ok, if you really think you can help someone with an obvious problem, do so in a polite manner, don't just call them out on it. Acne became a social barrier for me throughout my teen years. I had a severe case, not only on my face, but my back, shoulders, and chest. I refused to wear sleeveless in the summer, and rarely went swimming. I declined being a bridesmaid 3x because they wanted off the shoulder gowns---my acne was especially bad on my back and shoulders. I even declined becoming a member of Rainbow Girls, because all the girls wore those strapless gowns, and I couldn't go through the public humiliation. I mean, it was a very bad case of acne all along my back and shoulders.

I had people tell me I was being too sensitive, don't comprimise your life for a few pimples. Well, it wasn't a "few pimples", it was more like an infestation. And it wasn't me that was "too sensitive", it was others. If I did dare bare my shoulders, back, etc, someone would always comment, it seemed to attract attention no end!

Thank goodness, it finally went away. One day when I was 25, I just happened to look, NO acne! Wow! Since I live in Texas, which is AC weather 10 months of the year, finally I could feel comfortable in sleeveless shirts! Well, of course now, if someone wanted to call me out on a skin problem, I would just tell them to MYOB, but a young, teenage girl simply can't do so.

OP, I applaud you concern for your daughter. Many parents simply shrugh off acne, say oh, they will grow out of it. Well, perhaps, but the social implications and damage to self-esteem in the meantime are serious problems. Your daughter's defensive attitude is probably because she's simply fed up with the frustration, and dealing with all the unwanted advice. In short, she's tired of being put on the defensive about the whole matter.

Is your dd acne just on her face, or on her back, chest, and shoulders as well? Or, do you even know the extent of it? Does she cover it up whenever possible---long sleeves, does she avoid swimming, parties, dances with low-cut gowns, etc?

Perhaps you could talk to your dd doctor without her, discuss how bad the acne really is, and if its a social problem as well. Try to approach your dd in a low-key manner. Don't let your frustration with the situation run you over. Believe me, if she has severe pustular acne, she is suffering and needs your support

Old 09-08-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
Wow, so many different opinions here on how to treat the acne.

But your post didn't ask how she should treat her acne. You are concerned because she becomes defensive when you try to talk about the topic. I can totally relate to that.

I started getting cystic acne in my senior year of H.S. I went to a dermatologist who made it worse. I would occasionally talk to my mom about it, but no one else. My dad would talk about my acne behind my back but always within earshot (i.e. asking if someone was going to do something about my skin).

In my early years of college, I had a boyfriend who ordered an acne treatment plan over the phone and left it on my porch for me. I was humiliated. He then told me I wasn't fooling anyone with trying to cover up my skin with makeup and he thought he'd help me out. We broke up soon after.

My acne affected not only my appearance, but my self esteem and my confidence. I hated going out, I hated going to work, I hated facing people. It took me 10 years and tons of topical and oral treatments before giving in to my doc's suggestion to try Accutane. It worked, without side effects, within 3 weeks. As an adult, I now use Proactiv and the pill to keep my skin clear. And I am from the philosophy that stripping your skin of natural oils will make acne worse. I also believe occasional sun exposure helps...at least for me.

You have to let your daughter work it out on her own. Maybe just let her know you're there to talk to her and help her out if she needs advice regarding a skin regimen or treatment plan. She'll come to you when she is ready. Putting a person with acne on the spot is one of the worst things you can do. Trust me.

I just saw this post, I had similar experiences!

When I was in my 20's, I was dating a guy who was in medical school. Well, he was studying dermatology, so,decided he was going to cure me. Like the AP, but instead of mailing me stuff he brought me samples from vendors, thinking he had the answer. Well, what a way to end a date---he pulls out this little bag of creams, etc----I had tried all before, they either didn't work, or made the situation worse! Try telling a "doctor" tha medicines don't work! They think there's a pill/treatment for all reasons, and the only reason a person's problems continue is because they don't take the right remedy

Like the AP, I broke up with Dr Jerk a few weeks later. He actually got angry that I didn't appreciate his "gift'.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I used clindamycin Cleocin-T lotion (prescription) when I was a teenager, it reduced my acne by 90%. All of that over the counter stuff is crap.
Essentially, the OTC stuff gets rid of a pimple once its formed. It doesn't do anything to keep them from forming in the first place.

My kids, age 16 & 17, both have some very mild acne, all they need is a cream to dab on the ocassional zit. But they become defensive when I mention it. Perhaps its just their age? Last doctor's visit, my ds doctor suggested he use Neutrogena products. Ok, so, I got him the soap and cream, he diligently uses it---and it does work! His case is quite mild, but we don't want it getting worse. Funny, when the doctor recommended a product, ds was all for it, but when Mom recommends, kid won't listen

Old 09-08-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
Um, psychological side effects vs being able to CONTROL the acne with a topical treatment?....... I'm thinking, I'd rather have some zits than potentially have my entire psyche changed.
It's like the commercials you see on TV for perscription drugs where people are talking about how wonderful it is. Then some one comes on to say, "side effects may include, A,B,C,D,E, and maybe even death!" Yeah! that sounds great, get me some of that.

It depends on how severe the acne is. Obviously, if one could control it with OTC creams, they would not be seeking a more intensive treatment. Most doctors will not prescribe Accutane unless its a severe case and other, milder treatments have been tried. Believe me, having a chronic, disfiguring skin condition can mess with your psyche, too!

Old 09-09-2013, 09:26 AM

35,286 posts, read 43,483,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Is your dd acne just on her face, or on her back, chest, and shoulders as well? Or, do you even know the extent of it? Does she cover it up whenever possible---long sleeves, does she avoid swimming, parties, dances with low-cut gowns, etc?

Perhaps you could talk to your dd doctor without her, discuss how bad the acne really is, and if its a social problem as well. Try to approach your dd in a low-key manner. Don't let your frustration with the situation run you over. Believe me, if she has severe pustular acne, she is suffering and needs your support
Seems to be just on her face. dermatologist appointments are coming up at the end of the month, i hope she finds some relief,
She was called for a flight attendant job interview but she had to decline the invitation as theres no way they would hire her with her facial acne condition.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:39 PM

192 posts, read 306,145 times
Its all about PH balance. If her skins PH is off, everything is off. She needs to use a gentle clenser followed by a balancing toner. Chemicals in store bought products will only worsen her condition. She is probably have some kind of reaction to a common chemical in the products. Or she thinks she has oily skin, so she buys a face wash that is for oily skin, not knowing that all along the oil is being overproduced because she actually has DRY skin, and her body is trying to fix it. (these are just examples of common problems, I am not trying to diagnose). I used to have acne too until I learned all of this and actually started an online store with organic ingredients to get rid of any problems that may be caused by an imbalanced PH or chemicals. Face Toner, Brightener and Blemish Zapper - $8.00 : Aphrodites Embrace, Organic Homemade Beauty Products

Old 05-13-2015, 10:11 PM

1 posts, read 654 times
i'm in my 20s and tried lots of products. i broke out when i was 12 and see a dermatologist that time, my skin did clear up but only for a short time. because of budget, i stopped the meds and my face broke our again. i tried many over-the counter products, but nothing work. my skin keeps breaking out until now. i saw a dermatologist again, because my face had a severe acne. you cant call it a face cause of its severities, but they did treated it a little. my acne on my neck's gone and the cysts on my face. i had chemical peel, but it only lighten my redish face. i tried diamond peel also. but its itchy on my face causing me to break out again. now i'm just using meds, and i tried yesterday the iso alcohol absentmindedly on the cysts thats forming on my neck and chin before going to sleep. i woke up with my face less painful and the cysts starts to shrink. it looks smaller now than before.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:40 AM

6,322 posts, read 5,014,171 times
No one wants to hear it, but tanning beds do help. The UV rays act as an antiseptic.

The ADHD Adderall / amphetamine meds also can bring it on due to the body not having enough water to flush the skin. Because of this, I get much less acne in the summer due to the high humidity.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:29 PM

15,408 posts, read 20,611,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartozaid View Post
... i tried yesterday the iso alcohol absentmindedly on the cysts thats forming on my neck and chin before going to sleep. i woke up with my face less painful and the cysts starts to shrink. it looks smaller now than before.

I hope the rubbing alcohol will continue to help you. I've told many people about how my face was so broken out until I turned 30 and cleared up only because I started using rubbing alcohol on it 4-5-6 times a day. People are horrified and say that I must have ruined the texture/condition of my skin. But I've been using rubbing alcohol for 39 years and my skin is clear, soft and lovely. I even posted a photo a few years ago because someone accused me of lying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness