Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 10:55 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,774,994 times

Advertisements

My SO had high cholesterol and the Dr. had him on medication. He went for a blood test and the Dr. says the bad cholesterol is better but the good is still a little high. His mother said that his whole family has always had high cholesterol and it's hereditary. Can this be? He didn't tell the Dr. about his family, so obviously he didn't ask that question. The Dr. told him to exercise and eat more fish but his mom thinks it won't make a difference, not that it's still not good advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 11:14 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Yup. As they say on tv there's the kind that comes from eating HAM and the kind that comes from your Auntie Pam (or something on that idea). It can be hereditary.

I'm a vegetarian and have extremely high cholesterol. They give you statin drugs that are dangerous and lots of people can't take them. I've talked to people who take red yeast or something like that -- you buy it in a health food store and people have said that it works for them.

Old 04-26-2008, 03:19 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,576,519 times
It is hereditary, that is where I get mine from and why it is so hard to keep down even though I don't eat a whole lot of unhealthy foods. My Mama's was up in the 365 range for many years, never took any medicines and she never had any heart problems.

Red Rice Yeast is a statin drug except that it is a natural one and not man made like the rest. It can still give you the same problems as the man made ones. One of the things on the internet I read (and I have kicked myself for not saving it) said that many, many years ago, people used it to kill their enemies.

Old 04-26-2008, 03:40 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,774,994 times
Thanks for the info. and another related question...

What types of food should he stay away from? He doesn't eat a lot of meat and I don't eat any, does meat raise your cholesterol? We eat quite a bit of shell fish, is that bad?

Old 04-26-2008, 04:43 PM

1,252 posts, read 2,645,422 times
Chicken and turkey are very low fat. Red meat is high. Anything fried is most likely high fat, along with most fast food. Watch those labels regarding fat content. Anything with over 20% daily value fat is something to watch. Nuts have high fat but it's good fat, the drawback being the calories may cause weight gain. Our bodies require fat and will produce cholesterol if it doesn't get enough in the diet.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:38 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,937,775 times
My family is prone to hypercholesterolemia as well. Interestingly enough, the normally recommended dietary changes did not help my father at all. Once he developed tyep 2 diabetes and got serious with his no sugar, low-carbohydrate diet, his cholesterol decreased significantly and he no longer takes the statin drug.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:52 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,615,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Dr. says the bad cholesterol is better but the good is still a little high.
That's what you want as the higher the HDL the better the blood parameters. HDL carries away the cholesterols and blood fats out of the blood stream and back to the Liver so keep that HDL high. Also what was the Triclyceride (Blood Fats) count on the test? Should be 100 or below.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:40 AM

5 posts, read 19,776 times
Default This Will Guaranteed Lower Your Cholesterol Levels

Actually if you want to be heart disease free all your life, your Total Cholesterol should be less than 150 and LDL less than 80.

Follow what's written below and it will guaranteed lower your cholesterol levels:

Here are the rules in their simplest form:

• You may NOT eat anything with a mother or a face (no meat, poultry, or fish).

• You cannot eat dairy products.

• You must not consume oil of any kind—not a drop of oil. (Yes, you devotees of the Mediterranean Diet, that includes olive oil, not even a drop of even extra virgin or olive oil).

• Generally, you cannot eat nuts or avocados.

. No salt

You can eat a wonderful variety of delicious, nutrient-dense foods:

• All vegetables except avocado. Leafy green vegetables, root vegetables, veggies that are red, green, purple, orange, and yellow and everything in between

• All legumes—beans, peas, and lentils of all varieties.

• All whole grains and products, such as bread and pasta, that are made from WHOLE GRAINS—as long as they do not contain added fats.

• All fruits (but avoid fruit juices as having too many fruit juices can increase your Triglycerides level) .

Dr Caldwell B Esselstyn is the only Doctor in the world to have achieved near 100% success rate in treating patients with heart disease and patients with high cholesterol.

May I suggest you read his book 'How to prevent and reverse heart disease.

After ten years of high cholesterol levels, following his instructions, my total cholesterol plummeted from 220 to 160 within weeks. Trust me, his recommendations really work.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:00 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,266,175 times
I think of the cholesterol/heredity issue somewhat like weight control. Yes, there is a genetic component, but can we do a lot to impact that, even so? YES!

Old 06-14-2008, 11:18 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,615,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhavnani View Post
Actually if you want to be heart disease free all your life, your Total Cholesterol should be less than 150 and LDL less than 80.

Follow what's written below and it will guaranteed lower your cholesterol levels:

Here are the rules in their simplest form:

• You may NOT eat anything with a mother or a face (no meat, poultry, or fish).

• You cannot eat dairy products.

• You must not consume oil of any kind—not a drop of oil. (Yes, you devotees of the Mediterranean Diet, that includes olive oil, not even a drop of even extra virgin or olive oil).

• Generally, you cannot eat nuts or avocados.

. No salt

You can eat a wonderful variety of delicious, nutrient-dense foods:

• All vegetables except avocado. Leafy green vegetables, root vegetables, veggies that are red, green, purple, orange, and yellow and everything in between

• All legumes—beans, peas, and lentils of all varieties.

• All whole grains and products, such as bread and pasta, that are made from WHOLE GRAINS—as long as they do not contain added fats.

• All fruits (but avoid fruit juices as having too many fruit juices can increase your Triglycerides level) .

Dr Caldwell B Esselstyn is the only Doctor in the world to have achieved near 100% success rate in treating patients with heart disease and patients with high cholesterol.

May I suggest you read his book 'How to prevent and reverse heart disease.

After ten years of high cholesterol levels, following his instructions, my total cholesterol plummeted from 220 to 160 within weeks. Trust me, his recommendations really work.
Maybe for others but not for me as i'm glad i don't follow this above ''Fat Free'' diet as i eat mega amounts of fat (olive oil) and my blood parameters are great at 43.

Yeap i start the day at 4.00 A.M. and have a Tbsp of Olive Oil with Mixed Tocopherol and Green Tea then off to the gym to pump iron and a Tbsp with each meal and i also take a Tbsp right before i crash out at nite. Still feel energetic as when i was 23 and also my hands and lips no longer crack out here in the Super Dry desert of New Mexico since upping the amounts of Olive Oil.

Total Cholesterol 150
HDL 69
LDL 79
Triglycerides 69
C- Reactive Protein 0.5 Mg/L
Fasting Blood Sugar 73

In fact i'm going to go and take another Tbsp of Olive Oil as soon as i finish typing here.

6/3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness