U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 10-01-2011, 07:16 AM
573 posts, read 1,778,371 times
Reputation: 315


What kind of doctor am I supposed to see and what kind of appointment should it be? I had high blood pressure since I was like 14. I didn't take any meds during that time because the doctor said I was too young. She found blood in my urine but it wasn't visible to the eye. Two times I went to the hospital where my blood pressure was monitored. It was monitored 24/7 when I wasn't in the hospital because they kept the machine on my arm. I can't eat red meat because of this. She said it did something to my kidneys. In Central America, I went there when I was 20 and they took X rays of my kidneys and it showed gray areas that the person who took the x ray told me weren't supposed to be there and he emphasized not to eat red meat or it would get worse. What is the name of this condition? How much should it cost to get an exam of my urine for blood, and the kidney condition? In physical check ups, they don't exam the urine for blood the way the other doctors did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 07:35 AM
Location: In a house
13,253 posts, read 37,888,439 times
Reputation: 20198
You should see your primary care physician, and give him all the information you just gave us. And ask him for a referral, and ask him for details about the referral, so that you will be informed as to what kind of doctor you're going to, and why.

I'm a little concerned that you haven't already done that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Location: Mostly in my head
19,865 posts, read 57,982,807 times
Reputation: 19187
^ What she said. You can also look for an internist, depending on your insurance (if they will allow a specialist first or you hav e to go to the Primary Care doc first and many of them are internists anyway).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2011, 12:45 AM
Location: New Jersey
12,226 posts, read 7,063,406 times
Reputation: 11598
If you have an HMO, then you need to see your PMD. However, if you do not have an HMO, and you are able to see a specialist, then you certainly need a nephrologist (kidney doctor).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2011, 03:25 PM
Location: Missouri
6,046 posts, read 22,058,273 times
Reputation: 5079
ditto the above. If you are really that concerned about your kidneys, nephrologists specialize in kidney disorders. But you should start out with seeing a primary care physician/general practitioner/family doctor/internalist. He or she can give you an exam and determine if further testing is necessary. If you are worried about why they are not checking your urine, ask why! There might be a very good reason for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2011, 03:43 PM
Location: In Denial
688 posts, read 1,089,998 times
Reputation: 554
Do you have a primary care doctor? That is, a doctor you see when you have a bad cold or feel sick? If not, is there a doctor that a family member goes to when they feel sick and can you make an appointment to see her?

Many communities have free clinics where you could be seen by a nurse practitioner or doctor at no charge and they will help you get an appointment with the right specialist.

Please go to see a doctor or a nurse practitioner, OK?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Location: Location: Location
6,518 posts, read 8,199,770 times
Reputation: 19437
You should have a Primary Care physician, even if you have no underlying ailments. The family doctor will be there for the simple things like a cold, or GI upset, or for immunizations - especially important just now with flu season fast approaching. You will have a baseline for a determination when something goes wrong.
For the most part, specialists are hesitant to see patients that have not been referred by a P.C. doc. The P.C. is the "gatekeeper" who will in all likelihood order the pertinent screening tests to determine which specialist you need to see.
Like the other posters have said, you should do it ASAP. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2011, 10:34 PM
Location: Chicago
65 posts, read 265,511 times
Reputation: 70
Agree with above. Get a good pcp. They will run some labs. urine analysis. Then likely send you to a nephrologist if your kidney function is abnormal. WIth your complaints of microscopic hematuria, hypertension, and abnormal imaging of kidneys in the past, you should see a nephrologist as soon as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 07:17 AM
1 posts, read 1,935 times
Reputation: 10
The best would be to see a specialist because it isn't a small problem. I had a problem with my ankle and I didn't know where to go for help so I did some research Moderator cut: need at least 10 other posts to make specific recommendations

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-03-2013 at 01:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top