Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2011, 08:46 AM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,878 times

Advertisements

so I've been getting sever weakness in my legs and lower back for the last week or so for no apparent reason. yesterday I finally went to see a doctor and they think it's something with the nerves in my lower back because of the symptoms that I explained with my legs and the fact that the my lower back is tweaked and very week as well. It was music to my ears that I was told my that they didn't think it was something neurological like MS but The only thing that is strange about this is that there was no injury to my knowledge. I was told that it could be many things that don't necessarily require an injury like a degenerative disc problem. Anyways I got some steroids and I'm off the get an MRI this week so they can see what's wrong. My legs and back feel much stronger after the steroids and ice packs but this whole thing seems odd as I'm only in my thirties and have never hurt my lower back to my knowledge.

Does anyone have any experience with these types of symptoms. What happened? physical therapy? surgery?
what was the end result
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 12:16 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Surgery was the end result. I had degenerative disc disease in my lower back. It is VERY common for this to be the first sign. Also sciatica, which is a burning pain anywhere along a line from you lower buttock down the outside of your leg to the ankle.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:51 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
I have degenerative disk disease in my lower back (L5-S1) and I've been living with it for around 20 years. I also have osteopenia (a potential precursor to osteoporosis) in my hip and lower spine. I don't get any kind of sensation of weakness. However, I've had a "problem" spine since I stood upright as a toddler, due to accute lordosis (swayback). So it's possible that my muscles have simply strengthened themselves to accommodate a lifelong weakness with the spine itself.

I haven't had surgery, I've never had steroids or special "pain management meds" for it. When my back hurts badly enough, I rub some BenGay or Tiger Balm on it and continue my day. The DDD has spread, since it was first diagnosed, and is starting to affect the disk above the L5-S1. I find that regular exercise, in particular stomach and middle-back and leg muscular strengthening, is the absolute #1 most efficient way to ward off the back pain. If you train your muscles to support you, then your spine doesn't have to work so hard.

Also, I recommend sitting ERECT. For me, that means sitting in a lotus position. My desk chair is wide enough that I can do that. It forces my upper torso to -not- hunch forward, but my upper thighs and glutes do all of the work supporting my body weight.

Keep your posture straight, when you're walking, sitting, standing. Have a supportive pillow and a firm mattress when you're sleeping. Let your muscles do most of the work, and make sure they're in condition to do so. Wear good shoes - experiment with those silly looking Sketchers Shapeups - oddly enough, they really have helped with my back pain (though they don't do diddly to shape me up).

And most of all - MOVE your body. As long as you're physically capable of walking, walk.

Old 10-02-2011, 03:38 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
Not sure why you are on steriods (or why you would want to take them)....

It also sounds to me like disc problems and/or sciatica (I have both) - Depends on your MRI (which could show MS). I would certainly recommend physical therapy and the recommended exercises, as stated, posture (which mine is terrible for a very petite person).

Old 10-03-2011, 08:08 AM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Not sure why you are on steriods (or why you would want to take them)....

It also sounds to me like disc problems and/or sciatica (I have both) - Depends on your MRI (which could show MS). I would certainly recommend physical therapy and the recommended exercises, as stated, posture (which mine is terrible for a very petite person).
steroids are used as antiinflammatories.

cortisone cream , most prescription nasal drops, prednisone...........ect are all steroids.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:32 PM

926 posts, read 1,256,093 times
I can relate and agree with the statements made and to alleviate discomfort try to be conscious of your posture.

I too was anxious about the possibility of MS but my MRI confirmed a protruding disc in the L5 area which is touching a nerve. I started getting sensations down the outside of my left thigh. The sensations eventually turned into random numbness and pain radiating from the top of my left foot.

Surgery and medication would be an absolute last resort for me. So I opted for months of physical therapy, which entailed basic education on how to manage the discomfort and what to do when the pain and/or numbness is frequent; stretching techniques, correct posture, muscle stimuli/electrotherapy. Being educated on what exactly is happening and how stretching and correct posture can alleviate the discomfort has worked tremendously for me.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:54 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,138,779 times
Doesn't sound good at all. That's the first thing my D.O. asks at every visit. "How are your legs"?. I would have that MRI evaluated by a good D.O. and go from there.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:29 PM

766 posts, read 1,658,504 times
Was there any pain or just weakness? I took a long road trip about 3 years ago and had an episode with sciatica, but I had horrible pain in my legs. I also took the steriods and it got better. I also did a little physical therapy. About a year later the same thing happened again. I didn't want to do the steroids again but nothing else helped.

I am having a similar thing again about almost another year later. I started prednisone again today, but my doc said they are for my allergies as she doesn't think this is sciatica *sigh*. New doc.

I wanted to see what happened with you and how you did with the steriods. I hated them before. I eat more, have headaches and feel depression. It's horrible. I just took them about 7:00 and about 4:00 the headaches started.

i hope you had good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness