Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2011, 03:21 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times

Advertisements

Something weird happened yesterday morning and I've never seen this before. Wondering if anyone has any idea what happened? I was up at 0430 watching news and eating breakfast when all of the sudden I yawned very hard. Immediately at the end of the yawn I became slightly nauseous and a little dizzy. Almost felt like something happened around my brain stem if that makes sense. Within ten minutes I had to go back to bed and slept for two more hours which is something I never do.
Sound familiar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 10:41 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,646,000 times
Yawning with nausea and dizziness can be a warning sign of a medical condition. It is usually associated with boredom or tiredness. But when it comes with other symptoms such as yours, I would speak to your doctor.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:03 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
Have you been checked for TMJ (Temporomandibular Joint Disorder)? Dizziness when yawning is a symptom of that disorder, one that @ 40% of patients with TMJ have. I was surprised to learn how common TMJ is nowadays. Try googling it and see if the other symptoms apply to you -- or ask your ear, nose and throat doctor.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:03 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
Yawning with nausea and dizziness can be a warning sign of a medical condition. It is usually associated with boredom or tiredness. But when it comes with other symptoms such as yours, I would speak to your doctor.
Thanks. I feel fine otherwise and after sleeping a couple hours it pretty much went away. Hasn't happened before or since so I'm a little befuddled.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:11 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,849,515 times
It could be vertigo.
I was just talking to someone yesterday who has severe "episodes" of vertigo due to jaw issues.
So the yawn could have triggered something like that ... or that.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:32 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
We all just yawned, and had no ill effects. But thanks for the suggestion, I feel better after that good yawn.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:20 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Something weird happened yesterday morning and I've never seen this before. Wondering if anyone has any idea what happened? I was up at 0430 watching news and eating breakfast when all of the sudden I yawned very hard. Immediately at the end of the yawn I became slightly nauseous and a little dizzy. Almost felt like something happened around my brain stem if that makes sense. Within ten minutes I had to go back to bed and slept for two more hours which is something I never do.
Sound familiar?
You probably put some temporary pressure on the vagus nerve.

I passed out once from that, during a really bad esophageal spasm (from an allergic reaction).

I also sneezed so hard once, and turned at a bad angle so as not to spray snot on someone, that I tore my ribcage cartilage apart on one side.

It happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness