Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2011, 01:59 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
need to know how bad cellulitis can get. I know what it looks like and i have a good friend who has it on his shin, and it is traveling. The leg is very very sunburn red, blotchy, irriated looking, burning, hot, itchy, and looks horrible.

Does he need to be seen by urgent care, or emergency, i know that cellulitis can go into a staph infection, which i am concern about. Help please, his leg looks terrible.
I am upset because he went to a urgent care, that did not know what it was, and sent him home, i could not beleive this. Should he see his own Doctor, or go to emergency. I know what cellulitis looks like, and he has it.
He is probably going to need medicine to get better. Being that a urgent care sent him home once, i don't trust them again.

Last edited by california-jewel; 10-04-2011 at 02:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 10:26 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,646,000 times
Cellulitis can have very serious complications. It is a bacterial skin infection and can spread into your bloodstream. It can become life threatening if not treated.

He needs to be treated immediately.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
Cellulitis can have very serious complications. It is a bacterial skin infection and can spread into your bloodstream. It can become life threatening if not treated.

He needs to be treated immediately.
Thanks so much, this is what i though. Don't know want kind of urgent care he went to, i know the one that i go to, would of done blood test, and all necessary test immediately. I would be very upset and get the person's name at urgent care, that sent him home.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:19 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Thanks so much, this is what i though. Don't know want kind of urgent care he went to, i know the one that i go to, would of done blood test, and all necessary test immediately. I would be very upset and get the person's name at urgent care, that sent him home.
You don't need a blood test or any test for that matter to diagnose cellulitis, its a diagnosis made by physical exam and history.

If not treated it can be very serious, limb or life threatening. Cellulitis must be treated with antibiotics, typically responds to orals but if not then intravenous medication may be needed.

All that being said, the "shin" area, particularly in an older person with other medical issues, can become very red, shiny, irritated looking from vascular disorders and look very much like cellulitis.

Your friend should go to an emergency department.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:58 PM

I am so so very upset. Just found out my friend does not have cellulitis, but has found out he has lupus. I am so upset. Their Sons has disabilities, and now this.

Any info on Lupus, does this effect the muscles, anything else i am not aware of. Can it go away, what are the causes of Lupus.

My friend is going to have her hands full. with her Son, and now with her Husband. Any info on Lupus would be much appreciated. He is 49. Thanks

Old 10-06-2011, 08:36 PM

574 posts, read 1,064,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I am so so very upset. Just found out my friend does not have cellulitis, but has found out he has lupus. I am so upset. Their Sons has disabilities, and now this.

Any info on Lupus, does this effect the muscles, anything else i am not aware of. Can it go away, what are the causes of Lupus.

My friend is going to have her hands full. with her Son, and now with her Husband. Any info on Lupus would be much appreciated. He is 49. Thanks
Stay calm and try not to be a fatalist. Your friend and his family don't need this type of energy. Lupus is not the end of the world. It can come about when someone has had mono which is a virus and stays in the system as well as other viruses. Instead of over reacting, look it up on Google. Would you want your friends to be calm or reactive if this happened to you. Can't your friend take care of this himself and get the care he needs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness