U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 02:00 AM

15,719 posts, read 14,207,893 times

Advertisements

My thoughts are with you Tony and hoping for the best possible outcome on your Dad's tests.

How old is your Dad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 09:44 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,422,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie53 View Post
my thoughts are with you tony and hoping for the best possible outcome on your dad's tests.

How old is your dad?

Old 10-09-2011, 08:52 PM

15,408 posts, read 20,639,175 times
I'm so sorry, Tony. Did your dad ever smoke? I hope that, regardless of the diagnosis, you'll get a second opinion especially regarding treatment.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I'm so sorry, Tony. Did your dad ever smoke? I hope that, regardless of the diagnosis, you'll get a second opinion especially regarding treatment.
Smoked when he was younger but not a lot. He isn't a drinker and watches what he eats.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:21 PM

12,478 posts, read 15,475,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
Smoked when he was younger but not a lot. He isn't a drinker and watches what he eats.

smoker or not people get Pancreatic cancer. Not sure of the stats but the people I know who have it or who died from it none of them smoked or drank.
Have a relative right now with cancer in both lungs. Has NEVER smoked but was exposed to toxins due to work. Won't hear much,if anything, about those when people are putting together the medical journals.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
He just came back from the doctor. They still don't know if it's cancerous or not. He is going for a biopsy next week and then a PET scan to find out. The doctor also said that he could just get chemo and radiation to kill all the cells and shrink the tumor. The doctor said that he had this for a while and it is slow growing and it's not affecting any lymph nodes.
I am confused Tony.

Why would a Dr. recommend chemo and radiation before he even knows if it is cancer?

Is it one of those cases where the Dr. is pretty sure it is cancer, but just needs the biopsy to verify it?

I am going to hold out hope that the biopsy shows that the mass is benign.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:35 PM

15,408 posts, read 20,639,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
smoker or not people get Pancreatic cancer. Not sure of the stats but the people I know who have it or who died from it none of them smoked or drank.
I agree, Pippy, and I wasnt trying to place blame. But, according to what I've read in the past, smoking, heredity and environmental exposures are the three primary causes of pancreatic cancer. (A good friend had it and I studied up on it then.) Cancer is so sneaky...you can do everything right in life and still get it.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:09 AM

17,346 posts, read 11,089,797 times
hopefully they'll find it isn't cancer.

please keep us up to date on what they find.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:25 PM

Well, the doctor spoke to my dad this morning and told him that it is cancer. The good thing about this is that it is slow growing and it is right on the tail of the pancreas. He is going to go on Thursday for a Biopsy and also, they are going to put a shunt on his chest. He will most likely start chemo next monday. The doctors said that they don't want to do surgery on it. First chemo and then probably radiation. After they shrink it, they will see if he needs surgery.

The doctor also said that he had this for a long time and blood tests don't usually pick it up.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:46 PM

Oh Tony....I am so sorry.

It does sound like there is a lot of hope though.....sounds like they can at least knock it down and stop it from spreading any further.

Just have to hold out hope that this can be controlled and that your father can live many, many more years.

Maybe, after the chemo and radiation, the mass will shrink enough so that it can be completely removed and the spots in the liver will disappear.

A friend of mine has the worst possible form of breast cancer, triple negative....it only presented in the lymph nodes in her neck and under her arm, so they could not do anything surgically or with radiation.

Anyway, the chemo immediately knocked down the cancer.....no sign of it anywhere.....but she will be on chemo for the rest of her life. Two years and so far, so good......and they still have several other types of chemo to use if the one she is on now ever stops working.

I am hoping your father's cancer responds well to the chemo and radiation.....and that he has many good years ahead of him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness