U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 04:49 PM

48,509 posts, read 86,241,118 times

Advertisements

When i was in service some ran a slight fever after others didn't. We alos had some pass out goig abck to barracks. Some just react to having shots it seems.I got the flu shot as well as wife and no reaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 04:57 PM

556 posts, read 1,424,262 times
I haven't had the flu or a flu shot in years. I guess living in filth had made me immune

Old 10-07-2011, 05:05 PM

12,671 posts, read 21,542,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofaname View Post
Yeah LOL I would think you did recover by now Glad you recovered. Did you get it like I used to? It's the pits being so sick like that. Geez I remember when people would be out sick for at least 5-7 days when they got the flu way back when I was much younger. Then came the flu shot and when more people started getting it they were amazed at how well it worked for them.

I think I recovered in 24 hours. The problem was other health related.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:06 PM

12,671 posts, read 21,542,043 times
I got 2 shots every week for my Allergies. No big deal.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:19 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,454,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
You all are braver than I !!!
I've never had the flu but feel I surely will at some point.
I am terrified....T E R R I F I E D of the flu shot.
Ohh why? You need not be, really. You most likely will never need it since you haven't gotten by now, thought I don't know how old you are. I had to get it since it made me so horribly ill. If you don't mind me asing are you thinking about the actual physical shot or what you think may happen after you were to get it?

I love what you have written by your name "Servant to my Cats" and
in your Status: ""There are no bad dogs, just bad owners""

LOL my little boy is now trying to climb along my leg while I have it on my chair. He wants me to hold like a baby while he rests his head on my shoulder. Hard to type with one hand hahahaha.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:23 PM

4,178 posts, read 9,653,691 times
I have lupus, so If I get the flu, due to my lousy immune system, I could die from it. I have been out for two weeks with the flu, and lose poundage, and not in a good way! A sinus infection can swell my face enough to close my eyes in hours; and it is painful. I run high fevers and usually end up in the hospital for several days. So - I get the 'flu shot.

This year after the shot I ran a low-grade fever for two full days, achy and shivering. Then it went away. I hope it works.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:59 PM

12,478 posts, read 15,475,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofaname View Post
Ohh why? You need not be, really. You most likely will never need it since you haven't gotten by now, thought I don't know how old you are. I had to get it since it made me so horribly ill. If you don't mind me asing are you thinking about the actual physical shot or what you think may happen after you were to get it?

I love what you have written by your name "Servant to my Cats" and
in your Status: ""There are no bad dogs, just bad owners""

LOL my little boy is now trying to climb along my leg while I have it on my chair. He wants me to hold like a baby while he rests his head on my shoulder. Hard to type with one hand hahahaha.
ah, a fellow critter lover--

Not afraid of shots/needles but afraid of how my body will react to it. I have myself so psyched out about it that I probably would have a bad reaction now based on mind over matter. No idea how long it would take to reverse that

Old 10-08-2011, 08:00 PM

13,054 posts, read 16,142,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wGoshen View Post
I haven't had the flu or a flu shot in years. I guess living in filth had made me immune
Likewise!!...never had the shot!!...never will!!!

Old 10-09-2011, 11:51 AM

6,191 posts, read 15,882,269 times
I think, objectively, the flu shot is a great thing.

But the one time I had it - about 12 years ago, when I was volunteering at a hospital - I came down with the absolutely worst head cold-type thing within a few days....and I'm one who gets a cold or any sort of bug maybe once every five years. So if it was a coincidence, it was an odd one. Haven't had one since. Haven't had the flu since either - only once had real flu, probably close to 40 years ago (I am 53) and it was pretty nasty. So if I were to choose between temporary discomfort and a full-blown case of the flu, I guess I'd take the shot and the temporary discomfort.

I know someone who's a nursing director at a hospital, she says all the employees get the flu shot around the same time and quite a few of them feel under the weather for a day or two. FWIW, when cats and dogs get vaccinated, it's not unusual for them to be off their food and feel crappy for about 24 hours afterwards.

But since my immune system appears to be quite sturdy, I probably won't get one again.

Last edited by chiroptera; 10-09-2011 at 12:01 PM..

Old 10-09-2011, 11:53 AM

579 posts, read 784,739 times
I got mine on a saturday and felt like crap through tuesday. Body aches, runny nose. Wednesday I felt better. So it took about 5 days. I also had a lot of soreness in the arm where the injection was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness