U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2011, 09:01 AM

3,651 posts, read 6,498,340 times

Advertisements

I was in the ER sat night I felt SO weak and shaky and pale and just horrible like I was dying. They did a CBC panel and they said my potassium was slightly low . It was 3.3 and I guess normal is 3.5-5.0 .. They said most people wouldn't even notice it if it was at my level but they prescribed me 20 mg pills. I've been taking half a pill in the am half at night since I wasn't that low to start I don't want to OD on it. Since taking it the shakiness has stopped some but I still have weakness in my legs . Now tho I'm feeling hot all the time even tho my house is on 74. Has anyone had this side effect taking them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 09:24 AM

13,769 posts, read 12,005,630 times
This does not sound like a slightly low potassium level to me. I would eat well, take it easy, drink fluids and make an appt with your regular doctor.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:10 AM

665 posts, read 1,562,800 times
Taking potassium without magnesium is dangerous. Proper electrolyte balance is key. Have your kidneys checked.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:43 PM

Thanks guys I'm drinking lots of elecrolyte water to stay hydrated. I know too much isnt good thats why I've been taking it half at a time. I dunno if they checked my kidney function when they took blood from me but I am going to follow up with my PCP about rechecking my potassium levels. I'm just not sure how fast the pills would work and to what extent they would take away the weakness in my legs

Old 10-06-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Thanks guys I'm drinking lots of elecrolyte water to stay hydrated. I know too much isnt good thats why I've been taking it half at a time. I dunno if they checked my kidney function when they took blood from me but I am going to follow up with my PCP about rechecking my potassium levels. I'm just not sure how fast the pills would work and to what extent they would take away the weakness in my legs

on a blood test look at "anion gap" and "BUN" for signs of diminished kidney function.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:09 PM

12,478 posts, read 15,443,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbackhippie View Post
Taking potassium without magnesium is dangerous. Proper electrolyte balance is key. Have your kidneys checked.

could you link me to where this is a fact?
I should think the doctor or pharmacist would inform someone if it is true.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbackhippie View Post
on a blood test look at "anion gap" and "BUN" for signs of diminished kidney function.
I believe my low potassium comes from surgery I had two weeks ago on my mouth where I couldn't eat hardly anything for over a week plus I was on 2000mg of antibiotics a day and lost quite a bit of blood. I think all of that combined has lowered it. My kidneys seem to be okay I am peeing enough during the day and drinking lots of fluids

Old 10-06-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
could you link me to where this is a fact?
I should think the doctor or pharmacist would inform someone if it is true.
why would...or should you think that a doctor would know this?

oh you you poor naive little thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or