U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I haven't visited a doctor for at least
0 year (= visited doctor within the past year) 17 45.95%
1 years 5 13.51%
2 years 2 5.41%
3 years 4 10.81%
4 years 2 5.41%
5+ years 7 18.92%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 08:42 AM

15,246 posts, read 17,451,323 times

Advertisements

My brother, age 53, went for a routine check-up and screening. A simple blood test showed an elevated PSI. More tests showed that he had prostate cancer. He had surgery and is now considered to be cancer-free. If it weren't for the check-up, he probably would not have discovered the cancer until it was much more advanced and difficult, if not impossible, to treat.

Many conditions show up first on blood tests and other screenings and are very treatable if detected early. If you feel like it does your psyche more harm than good to be checked, by all means don't go. But I'm a big believer in early detection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 09:53 AM

19,865 posts, read 58,022,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
So... if you are above a certain age, do some of you not agree with mammograms, Pap tests, yearly (or so) checks with a dermatologist for skin cancers, colonoscopy, eye exams?
Being a female with children, I have always had yearly checkups and more frequent ones for certain things (like being pregnant!). I also get mammograms and regular colonoscopies.

I am one of the lucky ones who had a precancerous polyp found early (actually 2 of them) so now I have colonoscopies every 4 yrs. Colon cancer is a nasty cancer so I feel very grateful that mine was discovered before it got cancerous. I also have numerous skin precancerous spots due to baking in the sun when younger.

I see my dermatologist probably 3 times a year for suspicious spots. I am currently being treated with a chemotherapy cream on my face for persistent spots that came back twice after being frozen. I don't mind missing a chunk of my arm or back due to a skin cancer but I DO care about that happening to my face.

As a diabetic, I see my doctor 4 x year for checkups. I see an ophthalmologist annually b/c we get serious eye problems. I have had cataract surgery and I have glaucoma so now I see him more frequently.

So no, I DO NOT believe in staying away from doctors. I had no symptoms whatsoever of the polyps and the skin cancer could not be seen, just felt as a small rough patch. Take your chances if you wish, it's your right to die early and painfully.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:29 PM

1,554 posts, read 2,517,594 times
^^^^^ I agree. But i suppose that could be becuz of the cancers in my family.

When you catch things small and early, you have much more chance of survival.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:19 PM

24,072 posts, read 17,943,920 times
When I was a kid I had to go all the time to get physicals for all the school sports I played...and, as usual, I always got a clean bill of health.

The only time I've ever been to the doctor as an adult is when I broke something, tore something, split something or sprained something. I have no need for doctor visits. (read: I don't like going.)

Old 10-16-2011, 09:35 AM

7,771 posts, read 17,239,411 times
SouthernBelleInUtah wrote:
Take your chances if you wish, it's your right to die early and painfully.
It's also everyones right to live a long, healthy life, without relying upon checkups. That someone would die early and painfully without relying upon checkups is merely your assumption. That certainly could happen, but it could just as easily NOT happen, especially for those of us who live a healthy lifestyle.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:57 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,182,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
This should be an interesting poll, so please take it:

How many of you haven't visited a doctor for a long time (not even having annual exams) because you have been feeling perfectly fine? How many years have it been since your last doctor visit (including regular checkups)?
I went from around 40 to 60 without seeing a Doctor, before that it was for pregnancy and a few things that I would not have gone but did when I had insurance. After 60, I went a few times. At 67, I have gone when I had odd things that I couldn't heal on my own. I don't get check ups.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:40 PM

13,253 posts, read 37,913,939 times
I get a yearly checkup because I take medication that requires it. I also go when I'm feeling unusually ill or have symptoms that concern me. That happens maybe - once every few years.

I -should- get back to a more regular pattern of checkups - pap smear and what not. My plan is to have everything done in the same month so I don't have to deal with doctors again for another year. Annual physical, pap smear, CBCs and full thyroid panel, cholesterol/glucose/tri, mammogram, dental checkup and cleaning, skin check for any changes in moles/odd pigmentation.

If I didn't get so lazy about it I'd get all that, every year. That's really the only reason I don't.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:21 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,698,496 times
i avoid the docs around here untill i absolutely need them, most are idiots around here and even when i am sick and go in they dont know what i have, or even if they do they never tell me what it is, i had a hernia for 5 years before someone told me what it was, granted its what is called an umbilical hernia and it doesnt normally cause problems, however it still would have been nice to know what it was instead of just "its not bad enough to worry about yet"

Old 10-29-2011, 07:00 PM

7,447 posts, read 11,587,696 times
I have to go at least once a year for bloodwork and renewal of my cholesterol med's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness