U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2011, 10:15 PM

7,288 posts, read 11,231,990 times

Advertisements

For a metaphysical perspective: Sore throat indicates that there is something you need to say to someone.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 08:34 AM

6,368 posts, read 14,317,091 times
Sounds gross, but it works

Sore-and-strep-throat-away Gargle Recipe - Food.com - 106056

Braggs is the best brand to use

Old 10-09-2011, 09:03 AM

10,066 posts, read 10,666,967 times
get rid of your old tooth brush to keep from reinfecting your self. Gargling with salt water about every four hours seems to work. There are some teas that have antiseptic qualities that might would work also, lavender Myr, and comfrey comes to mind. Hot Tea with lemon or vinegar and honey is an old favorite .

Old 10-09-2011, 09:05 AM

6,294 posts, read 19,497,151 times
I fight sore throats with mega doses of Vitamin C, Ester C to be exact. This usually works for me. I haven't had a sore throat in longer than I can remember.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:03 PM

863 posts, read 2,656,450 times
Gargling with warm salt water works for me, AND was confirmed by my Dr as effective. In fact, when it DOESN'T work, I usually have strep. I also use a Neti pot.

While I remain on the fence about herbs and Chinese cures, I learned about Loquat syrup a couple of years ago. I can be very effective on sore throat pain. It tasts equal or sometimes better than most OTC cough syrups.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:08 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,103,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso1979 View Post
Gargling with warm salt water works for me, AND was confirmed by my Dr as effective. In fact, when it DOESN'T work, I usually have strep. I also use a Neti pot.

While I remain on the fence about herbs and Chinese cures, I learned about Loquat syrup a couple of years ago. I can be very effective on sore throat pain. It tasts equal or sometimes better than most OTC cough syrups.
Oooo, i love, love, love Loquat syrup (i have to control myself because i love it so much that i could easily use too much) although it's for respiratory health (and very effective) but if, in your experience, it helps with throat issues, i believe you.

Planetary Herbals :: Loquat Respiratory Syrup

Old 10-09-2011, 04:15 PM

7,329 posts, read 13,807,606 times
To me,the very best thing for a sore throat is Zicam cough max spray. It's gotten hard to find, the only places I've seen it lately are Meijer and K-mart. It's with the cough syrup, not the other Zicam stuff. It's also really good for when you get a tickle in your throat that starts a cough that won't stop.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:41 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,896,437 times
Thanks ever so much, everyone. Those are all really great suggestions. I have been really going crazy with the Vitamin C -- the chewables, the stuff that dissolves in water and eating 4 oranges at a time. I got some Alka-Seltzer night/day stuff, and that is helping me sleep for now. I went in the ocean today (it has been warm enough) and actually aspirated some of the water and gargled, and that helped a little.

The thing is, I just really don't have many sick days from work, and if I still feel so crummy, I will need to take time off to see a dr. to have a throat culture.

Again, thanks everyone. You've been fantastic.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:30 PM

339 posts, read 868,907 times
I tried something out of desperation once, and it actually worked. I noticed cough drops and vick's vapor rub have menthol, and so did a roll-on pain reliever. I rolled the pain reliever on my throat, and the menthol was absorbed through the skin. No more throat pain.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:07 AM

12,274 posts, read 11,943,133 times
Along with sore throat comes a terrible upper and then lower respiratory infection which can degenerate to a secondary bacterial infection (the cause of all that thick green mucus). Over in Europe last year I picked up a nasty bug the likes of which I'd never experienced. I had the sore throat, the thick mucus at the bottom of my lungs that at one point had gone to blood from from all the coughing to try to get it out. I asked my doc for hydrocodone with syrup to stop from coughing long enough to get to sleep but people should know that nowadays because of abuse this has become probably the most difficult prescription to get and it ranks no. 1 at something, not sure what. First of all many pharmacies don't even carry it because of risk of robbery and death from shooting. Then, those that do will not tell you over the phone if they carry it for fear of you being a potential robber. So you have to make a trip down to a dozen pharmacies just to be told, "No, we don't carry it". Eventually if you are lucky enough to find one that does you then have to fill out a lot of paperwork for the FDA. When you're 66 and very sick that's a lot of work. But it did help me to get some badly needed sleep by stopping the cough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness