Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2011, 04:40 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,937,803 times

Advertisements

I just got off the phone with my elderly mother (85). She had an appointment with her podiatrist the other day. She has never really liked him, but he is local, and she is able to drive there and back alone.

She had two toenails that weren't quite ingrown, but in danger of becoming so.
He clipped them, and in the process cut her skin and drew blood. He then took out a scalpel and trimmed some more. When he was done, he threw the scalpel into the drawer he took it out of, where there were other implements.

My mother asked him when his tools were sterilized, and he took great offense. So much so, that he told her to leave his office and not to bother returning. He instructed his staff not to accept any new appointments. She has been a patient of his for the past two years.

My mother is not confrontational in the least. She is however, concerned that he does not properly sterilize his tools. She is also not in a position to drive to the next large city to see another doctor.

I checked online and found some "rate this doctor" websites, but they require that #1, you be the patient, and #2, you are held legally responsible should the information be deemed libelous.

I want to do something to get the word out, but I don't know what I should do. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 06:09 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,856,735 times
Report it to the state medical board?

Old 10-12-2011, 03:59 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,414,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I checked online and found some "rate this doctor" websites, but they require that #1, you be the patient, and #2, you are held legally responsible should the information be deemed libelous.
I want to do something to get the word out, but I don't know what I should do. Any ideas?
How unprofessional of that doctor. I understand your concern but be aware that some doctors are suing patients who post unflattering comments about them on the internet. Many doctors are even requiring their patients to sign a statement promising not to post negative remarks.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:26 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,764,983 times
Mattie:

I'm assuming that you and your mother are located in Georgia. If I were in your position I would file a complaint with the Georgia Board of Podiatry. Here's the website: Georgia Board of Podiatry

I would definitely give them a call to discuss your options and you're definitely being more effective by notifying the group of people that maintain his license than you are bashing him on an internet forum.

That is horribly unprofessional behavior that you're describing and, if that's the whole, complete and unabridged story and you are completely forthright, unemotional, unspiteful and clinical in your review, then a libel suit would probably be laughed out of court (if it came to that).

A podiatrist is the same sort of doctor that a dentist is. He or she has met certain criteria and is licensed to practice medicine limited to a certain region of the body. That can mean that a podiatrist has focused all of his or her study on that region and may know more than any general surgeon about diagnosis, treatment and repair of the human foot or it can mean that your podiatrist is a flunky quack who's tertiary option (in the event medical and dental school didn't work out) was podiatric medicine.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:37 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,937,803 times
Many thanks for the replies. Interesting enough, my brother found a review submitted to Angie's List, where the woman wrote that she would not send her worst enemy to this doctor.

Jimbo, she is not in GA, but I now know all states have similar boards, and will submit a letter to the appropriate one. I am traveling to my mother's this weekend and will help her write it. I wasn't there, but she is not the type to get upset about something like this without reason. It's funny that so many articles we read stress making sure your doctor washes their hands, uses fresh gloves, etc, and yet when called upon to explain his actions, this one took umbrage.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:23 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,054,460 times
Writing a letter seems like the most appropriate action.

As far as you mom getting her nails clipped, my mom got annoyed with the co-pay for her podiatrist and just started getting a pedicure every 6 weeks. It might be an option if you mom doesn't have any other foot issues and there is a good, clean nail place near by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness