U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 11:10 PM

4,278 posts, read 6,872,817 times

Advertisements

I'm a healthy (as far as I know) 24-year-old male who's suddenly developed more violent than usual, more frequent than usual, smelly gas. MUCH mote frequent than usual.

I have had no changes in my schedule or eating schedule & the foods I eat haven't been apyeted.

What could it be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 07:49 AM

7,887 posts, read 9,118,823 times
Colitis?

IBS?

Get thee to a physician.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:53 AM

87 posts, read 81,071 times
You may have suddenly become allergic to something you're eating. There is a huge issue with GM produce and such, that's having people down with allergic reactions. I'd look more into it if I were you, but here's an article to get you started. Ah-tchoo! |EMagazine.com

Do a food journal. You may notice there is a common culprit.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:17 AM

34,048 posts, read 20,898,378 times
You might have Giardia.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:49 AM

1,034 posts, read 3,969,339 times
I agree with the sudden allergy possibility.

I had an issue similar to what you describe although my issue was so painful, I'd have to leave work. The culprit turned out to be apples. I'd eaten an apple day for years. But my body changed for some reason and I could no longer tolerate them. I did a food journal to figure it out, but only after a failed appointment to a gastro and a prescription for pills I didn't want to take. In the end, reducing the apples to 1-2 times per week instead of daily did the trick.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:29 AM

2,358 posts, read 5,568,747 times
I'm also thinking giardia. Not sure about your name soviet, but after I got back from Russia in 2005, I developed just what you're talking about. That's what I had. It's in the water system in some of the towns I went to. I also got it several times when I lived in Africa. AND it's in streams and rivers here in the US. Violent, painful, rotten egg gas both up and down. Severe diarrhea occasionally. Bloating. I lost a lot of weight because it took 6 months for the doctor to diagnose it (after the Russia trip.) All in all, a highly unpleasant ordeal! Get to a doctor!

Old 10-10-2011, 12:37 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,106,134 times
If your diet hasn't changed (what do you eat by the way?) then the first thing that comes to my mind is some kind of parasite.
What have you been eating? What have you been cooking? What meats / poultry / fish have you been handling if any?
Do you eat sushi? or fish that's not thoroughly cooked?

Old 10-15-2011, 08:33 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,176,764 times
You have probably had milk or half and half that was left out to long or past the expiration date.
I have had that twice in my life, lasted about a week each time. Take something for the gas and wait it out. Be very careful about cream sitting out in a restaurant and never drink milk even 1 day past the date.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:07 PM

9,967 posts, read 17,880,986 times
I was just reading an article about gluten intolerance and I don't know how quickly it comes on but bad gas seems to be one of the symptoms. Have you been eating any more bread and pasta than normal lately?

Old 10-16-2011, 02:16 PM

7,369 posts, read 13,105,937 times
If it were me, I would do an "elimination diet" for two weeks - basically you cut out ALL foods which are known to cause problems in people (no sugar, caffeine, dairy, wheat, nightshades, eggs, red meat, alcohol etc) then I would add my usual foods back in one at a time. As I add them back, I would note how my body feels, what my stool looks and smells like, how my eyes and nose feels. If a particular food is the culprit - and yes it is not unusual to become intolerant to an ingredient over time - you will find out which one it is by using this method. It's a standard way to find out about food allergies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness