Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2020, 11:29 AM

17,570 posts, read 13,344,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydove13 View Post
Mike1003 - would a urologist who doesn’t specialize in urethral strictures still be competent in identifying strictures?

Of course he/she can. A urethra is a urethra
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2022, 11:23 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
Is this the same as having trouble urinating? I am asking for my husband who was seen in ER before Christmas. He is on Flomax now and sees the urologist on the 24th of this month. They had to Cath him to get the urine out. His urethra is damaged but we did not care for the last doctor we saw so this one will be a new Dr.

Old 01-11-2022, 12:21 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,958,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Is this the same as having trouble urinating? I am asking for my husband who was seen in ER before Christmas. He is on Flomax now and sees the urologist on the 24th of this month. They had to Cath him to get the urine out. His urethra is damaged but we did not care for the last doctor we saw so this one will be a new Dr.
He probably needs a turp to expand the channel (the prostatic urethra and possibly the bladder mouth) as his prostate is probably enlarged and squeezing the channel shut. Flomax is just a temporary fix. It only worked for me for a couple of months. Also had the side effect of stuffing up my sinuses. I had two greenlight surgeries followed by two turps in just 5 years. My prostate just kept growing back until I started taking dutasteride (0.5 mg per day) which inhibits prostate growth. I actually had to request it from my urologist because he never came up with a better solution than repeated surgeries. I have been on it for 6 years so far. Haven't had any side effects except my PSA dropped from 8.0 to 1.6.

I did have one small urethral stricture, about a half inch of tissue closing off the urethra, which my urologist cut away with the systoscope tool as an inpatient. He advised me to keep the channel open by self catheterizing once every two weeks. I did that for about a year, but then my prostate had grown again and I needed the turp. I had the prostatic urethra widened, the bladder mouth trimmed and a bunch of bladder stones (my urologist said they were like a bunch of BBs) removed. With all these procedures during this 5 year period I wound up being hospitalized for a couple of spontaneous bleeds of the prostate. On one I needed 6 pints of blood and on the second, 8 pints of blood. I can't take any blood thinners as a result.

Last edited by bobspez; 01-11-2022 at 12:41 PM..

Old 01-12-2022, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
He probably needs a turp to expand the channel (the prostatic urethra and possibly the bladder mouth) as his prostate is probably enlarged and squeezing the channel shut. Flomax is just a temporary fix. It only worked for me for a couple of months. Also had the side effect of stuffing up my sinuses. I had two greenlight surgeries followed by two turps in just 5 years. My prostate just kept growing back until I started taking dutasteride (0.5 mg per day) which inhibits prostate growth. I actually had to request it from my urologist because he never came up with a better solution than repeated surgeries. I have been on it for 6 years so far. Haven't had any side effects except my PSA dropped from 8.0 to 1.6.

I did have one small urethral stricture, about a half inch of tissue closing off the urethra, which my urologist cut away with the systoscope tool as an inpatient. He advised me to keep the channel open by self catheterizing once every two weeks. I did that for about a year, but then my prostate had grown again and I needed the turp. I had the prostatic urethra widened, the bladder mouth trimmed and a bunch of bladder stones (my urologist said they were like a bunch of BBs) removed. With all these procedures during this 5 year period I wound up being hospitalized for a couple of spontaneous bleeds of the prostate. On one I needed 6 pints of blood and on the second, 8 pints of blood. I can't take any blood thinners as a result.
Thanks my husband is only 49 if that matters. He is seeing a urologists on the 24th. I know for sure he will never self catheterize himself and I hope we don't have to ever go that route. his prostate is enlarged. Hopefully it's not as serious and he does not need multiple surgeries.

Old 03-12-2024, 10:33 AM

1 posts, read 125 times
Default Coping with a recurring urethral stricture

Since 1982, I have suffered from a recurring urethral stricture that landed me in the ER at least a dozen times in remote locations around the world due to full retention. In every case, attempts by PA's or RN's to insert a Foley catheter failed, resulting in a supra-pubic catheter needing to be inserted through my lower abdomen. Repeated surgeries, both laser and reconstructive, failed to fix the problem for more than six months at a time. Little did I know that all my visits to the ER were unnecessary if I had traveled with a Size 14 straight tip catheter such as the Cure HM14 and knew this simple insertion technique to get through the stricture by myself: Insert the catheter until you reach the stricture, then do NOT try to jam the catheter through the stricture. Instead, apply steady pressure to the catheter and WAIT for the stricture to open by itself. You will not injure yourself or cause any bleeding. After suffering acute bouts of full retention for over 40 years, I now travel the world without fear of another episode. Not because I have cured my stricture through surgery, but because I always keep a trusty Size 14 straight tip catheter with me and know the trick to getting the catheter through the stricture and into the bladder. Why Size 14? Because Size 12 is not rigid enough to poke through the stricture, and Size 16 is too large to get through, unless you have already used Size 12 and want to follow it with Size 16 for dilation purposes. Good luck and hope I am able to save some of you fellow male stricture sufferers from unnecessary trips to the ER.

Old 03-15-2024, 08:29 AM

I am about 1 year late in posting this but here goes. My husband had this issue for awhile. Thankfully Flomax had helped.
In September 2022 my husband was feeling like he had the Flu. Several Doctor visits, one to urgent care and 2 to primary care. Everyone said it's just a virus. 2nd visit to Primary care he ran blood work. Next morning on my way to work I get a call his kidneys are shutting down to go to the ER ASAP! Turned around went home called 911. His BP was 69/50 and the Paramedics could not believe he was able to stand. Anyway to make a long story short it was a kidney stone that went septic He had emergency surgery to repair the stricture and was place in a medically induced coma for 3 days. The could not remove the stone until he was out of danger and his creatin levels were lowered. In December 2022 has kidney stone removed. Has seen Urologist a few times since then. He has not had any issue urinating since thank god. he has another follow up in July and wants another bladder scan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness