U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 06:32 PM

25,337 posts, read 30,148,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Nah, you did fine--it just made a great springboard for Suzy's point. Except that the problem I have with that point is this: if that's all aspartame is, why can't I just open a capsule of phenylalanine and then a capsule of aspartic acid and sprinkle it on my food? Why do we even need a factory to make it? Methinks it's a bit more complex than that. Besides, cream cheese doesn't cause me to have seizures--if it did, I'd be in trouble.
Here is a study done in people who, like yourself, believed that they had seizures caused by aspartame:

Aspartame and seizure susceptibility: results of a clinical study in reportedly sensitive individuals. | Mendeley

"Results suggest that aspartame, in acute dosage of approximately 50 mg/kg, is no more likely than placebo to cause seizures in individuals who reported that their seizures were provoked by aspartame consumption."

The study was small, but it was done on inpatients with continuous EEG monitoring. The participants' diets were carefully controlled. There is no evidence that aspartame causes seizures.

Aspartame tastes sweet on the tongue, but in the stomach it is digested, as Woof said. Aspartame is not absorbed into the blood as aspartame. It is absorbed as phenylalanine, aspartic acid, and methanol, all of which are found in food in much larger quantities than in artificial sweeteners.

Here is a longer review of the literature, done for the European Union, on the safety of aspartame, including references:

http://ec.europa.eu/food/fs/sc/scf/out155_en.pdf

Old 10-21-2011, 06:56 PM

9,989 posts, read 17,904,175 times
OK, I read that study but I would be horrible subject for the study b/c I don't have them anymore. Also I would have to discount the placebo effect b/c I had those seizures for 10 years w/o ever having had any concept that they might have been caused by the aspartame--if I had thought of it I would have stopped the soda consumption right then and there and that would have been the end of it.

My EEG showed nothing except that the seizures were coming from the temporal lobe so the doctor said that something was lowering my seizure threshold though he had no idea what it could be. This was a very long time ago but I seem to have this vague memory of a doctor asking me if I consumed any aspartame products and when I told him the amounts he shook his head as if to say that it would need to be a lot more. I stopped consuming diet soda in 1991 (I mention soda a lot b/c that's about the only thing I had aspartame in), and the seizures went away but I made no connection to the diet soda consumption until years later when I read an article on the internet--by Betty Martini of all crazy people!--and started adding up dates and making connections and realized that it must have been what caused them b/c I was more likely to have seizures after a couple of months of drinking more soda--it built up in my body over time, in other words. Could it be that my liver doesn't process out formaldehyde or methanol? Who knows, but I never had a seizure before the year they started putting it in sodas and I never had another one after I stopped drinking soda altogether. Never liked it much anyway.

Unfortunately the main naysayers on the net sound like raving lunatics but I don't let that stop me from saying what I think and hopefully I don't come off as spastic. There was a physician at Wash U Med School in StL who was studying that for awhile. John Olney I think. A little quote from wiki on that:

Quote:
Aspartame was originally approved for use in dry foods in 1974 by then FDA Commissioner Alexander Schmidt after review by the FDA's Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition. Searle had submitted 168 studies[2]:20 on aspartame, including seven animal studies that were considered crucial by the FDA.[2]:21 Soon afterwards, John Olney, a professor of psychiatry and prominent critic of MSG, along with James Turner, a public-interest lawyer and author of an anti-food-additive book, filed a petition for a public hearing, citing safety concerns.[2]:38[16]:63–4 Other criticisms (presented in the 1996 60 Minutes special) of the Searle studies included assertions of unreported medical treatments that may have affected the study outcomes and discrepancies in the reported data.[1] Schmidt agreed, pending an investigation into alleged improprieties in safety studies for aspartame and several drugs. In December 1975, the FDA placed a stay on the aspartame approval, preventing Searle from marketing aspartame.[2]:28 The Searle studies were criticized by the FDA commissioner as "... at best ... sloppy and suffering from "... a pattern of conduct which compromises the scientific integrity of the studies."[1]

Old 10-21-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacel0 View Post
----------------------------------------------------------------- Thank you wiki, for making my point;
Here is a Power Point presentation:

Sugar, Sweetener and Dietary Guidance , Medicine

Sorry about the "insert ad here" parts.

There is more methanol in 12 ounces of tomato juice than 12 ounces of diet beverage with aspartame.

Go to page 14 (charts). Don't miss the last slide.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:14 PM

6,518 posts, read 8,199,770 times
I will not argue the point that anyone has had a seizure, or many seizures, while using Aspartame. I will state that many years ago, while working for a neurologist, I was made aware that some people with a low threshold for seizure activity may suffer from seizures when using products containing Aspartame. Usually in diet soft drinks, of which the high consumption factor contributed.
Perhaps we all need to practice the age-old adage - Everything in Moderation.

As far as Splenda is concerned, in late 2007, I began to use Splenda and a routine blood test in 2008 showed decreased hemoglobin. I jumped right on the old laptop and tried to find a cause. Lo and behold, there was the "proof" I sought. A doctor had discovered that use of Splenda showed a problem with RBCs. So I immediately d/c the Splenda. Repeat blood work showed a slight increase in my hemoglobin. (See? It was the dam Splenda!) I did, however, get progressively sicker. And weaker. And less than a year later, I landed in the hospital with a dangerously low hemoglobin and a 7.5cm tumor in my colon. It wasn't the Splenda after all. But if we look hard enough and long enough we can find confirmation of our suspicions.

Now, why do Doctors order all those tests? Because if they don't and you have something they missed, you'll sue their a$$ off and juries are more than willing to award BIG pay days to the injured. All you have to do is ask your doctor why he is ordering tests and what he's looking for. You'd be surprised at how much more information you'll get when your doc knows that you're interested in participating in your own care.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
OK, I read that study but I would be horrible subject for the study b/c I don't have them anymore. Also I would have to discount the placebo effect b/c I had those seizures for 10 years w/o ever having had any concept that they might have been caused by the aspartame--if I had thought of it I would have stopped the soda consumption right then and there and that would have been the end of it.

My EEG showed nothing except that the seizures were coming from the temporal lobe so the doctor said that something was lowering my seizure threshold though he had no idea what it could be. This was a very long time ago but I seem to have this vague memory of a doctor asking me if I consumed any aspartame products and when I told him the amounts he shook his head as if to say that it would need to be a lot more. I stopped consuming diet soda in 1991 (I mention soda a lot b/c that's about the only thing I had aspartame in), and the seizures went away but I made no connection to the diet soda consumption until years later when I read an article on the internet--by Betty Martini of all crazy people!--and started adding up dates and making connections and realized that it must have been what caused them b/c I was more likely to have seizures after a couple of months of drinking more soda--it built up in my body over time, in other words. Could it be that my liver doesn't process out formaldehyde or methanol? Who knows, but I never had a seizure before the year they started putting it in sodas and I never had another one after I stopped drinking soda altogether. Never liked it much anyway.

Unfortunately the main naysayers on the net sound like raving lunatics but I don't let that stop me from saying what I think and hopefully I don't come off as spastic. There was a physician at Wash U Med School in StL who was studying that for awhile. John Olney I think. A little quote from wiki on that:
So you are assuming the cause of the seizures was the diet soda. You really do not have any evidence to support that assumption other than your recollection of intake. And it is not uncommon for seizures to just stop --- even if no anti-seizure medication is taken.

Aspartame cannot accumulate. It is not absorbed as aspartame. It is digested into the two amino acids and a smidgen of methanol. The phenylalanine, aspartic acid, and methanol are all present in other foods in higher quantities than you get from aspartame, even if you are a heavy user of diet beverages.

The concerns raised by Olney have been studied and re-studied and found not to be valid.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:23 AM

34 posts, read 47,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Here is a study done in people who, like yourself, believed that they had seizures caused by aspartame:

Aspartame and seizure susceptibility: results of a clinical study in reportedly sensitive individuals. | Mendeley

"Results suggest that aspartame, in acute dosage of approximately 50 mg/kg, is no more likely than placebo to cause seizures in individuals who reported that their seizures were provoked by aspartame consumption."

The study was small, but it was done on inpatients with continuous EEG monitoring. The participants' diets were carefully controlled. There is no evidence that aspartame causes seizures.

Aspartame tastes sweet on the tongue, but in the stomach it is digested, as Woof said. Aspartame is not absorbed into the blood as aspartame. It is absorbed as phenylalanine, aspartic acid, and methanol, all of which are found in food in much larger quantities than in artificial sweeteners.

Here is a longer review of the literature, done for the European Union, on the safety of aspartame, including references:

http://ec.europa.eu/food/fs/sc/scf/out155_en.pdf
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Back in 1983,After a year or so, AFTER starting to drink DEIT COKE AND EATING SWEET+LOW, Aspartame "CROSSED the blood-brain barrier, and CAUSED MY BRAIN -NOT - TO SEND SIGNALS TO MY TOUNG FAST ENOUGH,-- And when I talked fast, it sounded like I was drunk; It also kept me from "remembering just where my finger are, when typing; Little things, like remembering; That's why I CAN'T remember just how to spell the most simplest of words, can't remember just where my fingers are when typing, have to look at my fingers when I type, memory, is so bad, it's hard to explain;
I quit drinking back in 1978-79;
I didn't realize it till I heard myself --TALK--on a recorder a year later;
I think it was aspartame; I didn't put the 2 together till years later; 20;
It's done so much to my body, -- it's "UNBELIEVABLE;
When I told my doctor I HURT from the waist to the neck, so bad that I had a hard time breathing when the humidity was high, he ordered a match of tests, fybromyalgia, lupis, rumitoid arthritis,diabetes, and 2 more, --- they all came back -- NEG.
He can't explain why I hurt so bad; He DON'T EVEN ACKNOWLEDGE ASPARTAME'S BAD FOR THE BODY;
I have so much wrong with me, it's unbelievable---jacel0---

Last edited by jacel0; 10-23-2011 at 03:47 AM..

Old 10-23-2011, 04:37 AM

38,690 posts, read 91,116,682 times
So what I've been able to conclude from this thread is that doctors in Oklahoma, or anywhere else for that matter, don't know about aspertame poisoning because none of them are as smart as jacel0, whom I presume will publish her findings in JAMA any day now to the great amazement of the medical community.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:13 AM

13,253 posts, read 37,888,439 times
Don't forget that Jacel0 has also proven beyond a doubt that heavy drinking for several years can't possibly cause any of the ailments that she has experienced. It isn't even remotely possible that the damage had already been done prior to her quitting only 3 years before she started noticing the symptoms, and it isn't possible that it simply took her three years of sobriety before her brain was capable of functioning efficiently enough to notice that she had damaged herself with the drinking. It also isn't possible that she's lying, and it isn't possible that she's exaggerating, and it isn't possible that she knows quite well how to use a spellchecker. It's also not possible that she has had some odd genetic disorder that she was born with, that manifests at a certain age, which just happened to be the age she was, when she started noticing all these symptoms.

It's also not possible that she eats badly, or doesn't exercise, or was always sickly and was just too drunk to realize it until a few years after sobering up.

No, this isn't possible, and the fact that she started consuming products with aspartame is proof.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:02 AM

6,518 posts, read 8,199,770 times
I smoked for 55 years. I quit Nov 2 2004 at 6:30AM. In January of 2005, I had open-heart surgery to replace my faulty aortic valve (congenital). In September of 2008 I had cholecystectomy to excise my gravel-ridden gall bladder. In January of 2009, I had a 7.5cm malignant tumor removed from my colon. Does anyone think that all this happened because I quit smoking? x + y doesn't always equal z.
Some of us spend way too much time looking for something/someone to blame rather than reflect on what we may have done/not done that precipitated our current condition(s).

Old 10-23-2011, 12:40 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,299 posts, read 12,550,057 times
I don't think hurting from the waist to the neck is from alcohol, but it certainly could have been from pinched nerves in the spine. As I recall the diagnostic equipment for imaging that stuff was much cruder than now, the more modern type of computerized CT scan wasn't widely available. It used to be that in the 70s and 80s that I heard countless people tell of how doctors had misdiagnosed back problems, or had made it worse with surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness