Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 08:04 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times

Advertisements

There is no evidence that aspartame is "poison" for anyone.

If eating something sweet makes you crave sweets, then I would expect sugar to do the same thing.

Anyone who restricts calories enough to see a significant weight loss is likely to feel hungry. Hard to see how the "hedonistic component " fits in there. If you cannot accept the hunger associated with trying to lose weight as a good thing, you are probably not going to lose much.

It is possible to use aspartame and lose weight, so it is possible to have your "sweet" and not automatically gain weight.

And I do not think that "processed" foods are inherently inferior. Sure, I would love to have home baked bread and home grown vegetables every day, but its not going to happen. The additives are there to add flavor and retard spoilage. And most of the additives have been around long enough that if they were causing problems we would know about it by now. It is now possible to get frozen and canned foods with less sodium, which is good for those who need to limit it and probably for all of us. Frozen vegetables without added sauces are nutritionally just about equal to fresh.

Americans are not gaining weight because of aspartame. They are fat because they eat too much of everything. Too many all you can eat buffets and restaurant portions for one person that are enough to feed four adults. No understanding of nutrition at all. Too easy to order the high fat, high sodium meal rather than the veggies. Fewer meals prepared at home --- but the amount eaten at home is also in amounts that are too large because the idea of what constitutes a portion has been distorted by the abnormally large restaurant servings. And the restaurants serve too much food because they feel they must in order to compete with one another. This results in a situation where people who want to eat less either leave food on the plate (hard for those of us who hate to see food wasted) or actually pay a relatively higher price for less food. This assumes that you have no one to share an entree with or circumstances do not favor taking leftovers home, as when you are not going directly home after you eat. To be fair, more restaurants are offering meals that are scaled to more normal portion sizes, and I tend to eat at those places when it is an option.

Add in a total aversion to any exercise, and the result is obesity.

Any contribution of artificial sweeteners to a "hedonistic" effect is swamped by the sheer volume of the other foods eaten. You cannot evaluate the sweeteners in isolation.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:48 AM

34 posts, read 53,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Not really - what you said was that artificial sweeteners are actually poisonous. What I'm saying is that there's some evidence it may be counter-productive for losing weight - I don't believe they are actually toxic in any noticeable way. And for diabetics, sugar would definitely be more toxic than artificial sweeteners.
-
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
No, Your wrong Woof;-- What I actually SAID, -- Was ASPARTAME is POISONOUS; That is just what this sight was about in the first place,--ASPARTAME; -- I can eat and DO eat 2 artifical sweeteners, (not an ad--WAS sold by Wally-World, Sun Crystals,-- ingredients--pure cane sugar, and Stevia extract, and thier own sub. Great Value-- IN THE GREEN CONTIANER, which has Ergthroyth in it, and is GOOD for diabetic's;
I can and DO eat those two; My body is VERY SENSITIVE - TO POISONS;
In 1971, when it was FIRST invented, it was invented to KILL ants; And the US military had it clasified as a Chemical Warfare Agent;
Go "back" and READ the sight,
ASPARTAME - THE SHOCKING STORY OF THE WORLD'S BESTSELLING SWEETENER - at - http://www.wnho.net/the_ecologist_aspartame_report.htm -it is the top sight on that page;
And you will see just how many CROCKED people and who they WERE that GOT ASPARTAME APPROVED;
And you might see just what I'm talking about; Hopefully;---jacel0---

Last edited by jacel0; 10-28-2011 at 04:50 AM.. Reason: wrong spelling

Old 10-28-2011, 05:59 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Default "Natural is good."

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
Natural is good.
Not necessarily. Rattlesnake venom is a natural product. Poisonous mushrooms are totally natural, and even look like the ones which are good to eat.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:26 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
True, it is obviously not a necessary nutrient. But do you think it is wise to tell others not to use it because it made you have seizures when you really do not know that it did so?
Unwise? Suzy have you ever seen me tell others what they should do? Go back and read my posts on this thread and see if I've told people that they shouldn't consume aspartame. What I have said is that if they are having problems that they suspect may be due to consumption of aspartame, there is an easy way to find out--stop using it a few weeks and see what happens. Unwise? How silly.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:32 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
If the -only- ingredient that "causes you seizures" is aspartame, then your method of testing (to stop using it) would need to be very specific.

Continue eating all the exact same foods that you were eating up until you stopped. Except, extract the aspartame out of it all. Because, it -could- be a combination of the A ingredient, the B ingredient, with the C ingredient as a catalyst, and the Aspartame ingredient had nothing to do with it. It could be that anything that boosts your glucose (such as sugar, rolled oats, honey, citrus fruit, corn) is causing your seizures, and not the specific ingredient Aspartame.

But if you -only- eliminate aspartame, that one very specific ingredient present in so many foods (according to the scare-mongers) and continue eating those exact same foods without the aspartame in them, and make sure that those foods are not changed in ANY other way except for the aspartame removal, then you might show some validity to your theory.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:45 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,298,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If the -only- ingredient that "causes you seizures" is aspartame, then your method of testing (to stop using it) would need to be very specific.

Continue eating all the exact same foods that you were eating up until you stopped. Except, extract the aspartame out of it all. Because, it -could- be a combination of the A ingredient, the B ingredient, with the C ingredient as a catalyst, and the Aspartame ingredient had nothing to do with it. It could be that anything that boosts your glucose (such as sugar, rolled oats, honey, citrus fruit, corn) is causing your seizures, and not the specific ingredient Aspartame.

But if you -only- eliminate aspartame, that one very specific ingredient present in so many foods (according to the scare-mongers) and continue eating those exact same foods without the aspartame in them, and make sure that those foods are not changed in ANY other way except for the aspartame removal, then you might show some validity to your theory.
I would still question any at-home research done without a blind or double-blind analysis and placebo. My wife tried something similar when she thought caffeine was giving her migraines. She stopped drinking caffeine and the migraines went away. Then she began drinking caffeine again but she didn't realize it, and she didn't get migraines. Someone told her that a drink had caffeine a few weeks later and the migraine came back. The power of suggestion can be very strong.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:49 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I would still question any at-home research done without a blind or double-blind analysis and placebo. My wife tried something similar when she thought caffeine was giving her migraines. She stopped drinking caffeine and the migraines went away. Then she began drinking caffeine again but she didn't realize it, and she didn't get migraines. Someone told her that a drink had caffeine a few weeks later and the migraine came back. The power of suggestion can be very strong.
And when the double blind crossover studies were done --- using people who thought they got headaches from aspartame --- no relation between aspartame and headache was found.

Interesting thing about caffeine: it's actually used in headache medications, such as Excedrine Migraine. And stopping caffeine is notorious for causing headaches.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:58 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
And when the double blind crossover studies were done --- using people who thought they got headaches from aspartame --- no relation between aspartame and headache was found.

Interesting thing about caffeine: it's actually used in headache medications, such as Excedrine Migraine. And stopping caffeine is notorious for causing headaches.
Absolutely. Caffeine is a catalyst for migraines. It causes -and- treats it. Same with chocolate. But not red wine. Red wine can cause a migraine, but won't treat it.

If your brain chemistry is accustomed to having even a little jolt of a single cup in the morning, and has to make do without it one morning, it's possible that the one day, you will end up with a migraine. A cup of coffee is often all it takes to stop the pain, if it hasn't gotten too bad.

As for seizures, eh. Sorry, I don't buy it. My dad's epileptic, and consumes some foods containing aspartame. I think the last time he had a seizure was in 1978, the year I left home to go to college.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
---------------------------------------------------------------------
IF she put splenda in it, That-- I've been told by a few people, -----causes migrains;
I don't know personally;

Old 11-01-2011, 11:40 AM

I know a woman at church, she's a virgo like me,-- doesn't take anyone's word for anything; '
Was always cold; Wore a long wool coat when it was 78-79deg.
It took me 6-8 months to OPEN her mind, and TRY NOT consumming anything with ASPARTAME in it for 3 months;
Do a personnal TEST and SEE if that is the cause;
She did that self test, SHE GOT BETTER;
Then after a while, she TRIED drinking a deit coke, SHE STARTED GETTING WORSE;
NOW, SHE'S CONVINCED -- IT IS ASPARTAME THAT WAS MAKING HER SICK;
SHE'LL NEVER DRINK IT AGAIN;
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness