Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does teaching about birth control increase sexual promiscuity?
Yes 5 10.87%
Yes but not significantly 2 4.35%
No 36 78.26%
Not Sure 3 6.52%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 11:06 PM

10,213 posts, read 15,914,912 times

Advertisements

Just to see what yall think on this. I used to be adamantly in favor of abstinence only education but do realize that birth control pills do have a positive effect in that they reduce abortions. However I'm not sure if schools teaching can increase sexual promiscuity in teens and people in general. I am heavily pro-life but am not against the use of oral contraceptives. However I do believe its not moral to engage in sexual activity outside of marriage or at least a long-term, serious relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 06:58 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,629,470 times
Honestly, I think teenagers are the horniest humans on the planet and they are almost all going to have sex whether there is sex education or not. Sex education reduces is unplanned pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases. I happen to agree with you that sex is for long term committed relationships, but not everyone agrees and not everyone who agrees has the will to resist.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:36 AM

628 posts, read 2,069,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
Honestly, I think teenagers are the horniest humans on the planet and they are almost all going to have sex whether there is sex education or not. Sex education reduces is unplanned pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases. I happen to agree with you that sex is for long term committed relationships, but not everyone agrees and not everyone who agrees has the will to resist.
Completely agree with tilli. It's refreshing to read an honest response on this subject.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:20 PM

10,213 posts, read 15,914,912 times
THanks for teh responses, I was just wondering if birth control can make people especially teenagers and young adults more likely to engage in sexual activity since they feel protected against STDs and unplanned pregnancies. I personally believe in moral education in public schools, including school prayer and the Ten Commandments in schools, but also think birth control education if handled right can be a positive step toward preventing abortions. HOwever people should just be caught that birth control or not, its simply immoral and wrong to have random hookups.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:43 AM

502 posts, read 1,251,516 times
Default More than 9 out of 10 Americans have had sex before marriage...

I've attached an article that I remember (funny title) reading several years ago regarding the percentage of Americans who had sex before marriage. More than 9 out of 10. So, I assume that this statistic includes many who have received abstinence-only instruction.

Studies regarding abstinence-only eduction indicate that teens do not wait significantly longer and are LESS likely to use contraceptives or to take measures such as using condoms to prevent STD's. More interesting is that teens who are taught abstinence only, are more likely to engage in anal sex as a means to reduce the risks of pregnancy and because they believe that it "does not count" as intercourse, thus retaining their "virgin" status.

In an ideal world, all teens would wait until they were in a mature relationship before having intercourse. In an ideal world, parents would teach their children about sex. However, too many parents don't, so it is left to the schools to do it.

It always surprises me that parents seem to forget what they were "up to" as teens and demand different "values" for their children. I suspect that there are a great deal of hypocrites advocating for abstinence-only education.

Even Grandma had premarital sex, survey finds - Sexual health- msnbc.com

Old 03-20-2010, 04:24 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,087,707 times
I have read conflicting research on this topic. From what I have read and seen, I do not think teaching about birth control causes promiscuity. Just my two cents.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:29 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,575,010 times
The kids are going to do "that" anyways...it is a good idea to teach them how to be careful.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:31 AM

746 posts, read 3,498,941 times
While teaching teens about sex is a minefield, not teaching them the facts is even more dangerous. Ignorance about sex, and teaching only part of the picture (as in abstinence only compromises) does a lot of harm.

Lack of information invariably leads to unwanted pregnancies, increased incidence of sexually transmitted diseases, and things like suicide and ruined lives.

A good course about procreation can also provide a young person with a proper vocabulary of words to describe the sexual process, and give them some perspective when dealing with their own relationships.

Those who insist the only people who should teach children are their parents or pastors, are only asking for trouble. It's not that many parents and ministers are not up to the task, but that so many cop out and only tell the part of the story they are comfortable with.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:13 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,990,921 times
Were you ever a teen? If so, you know your "hormones" can get the better of you...it's better to have info than not!

Kids, while it's not a popular thing to say, are sexual beings...and they WILL experiment! Give them info to keep them safe and not pregnant!

Old 04-10-2010, 03:46 AM

1 posts, read 3,141 times
Teenagers need to be educated regarding sex. I think everybody agrees with this.

But the point of argument is what is the right setting for this? Is it in schools where parents are unaware whether the proper values about sex are communicated to their children? Or at home, where parents can guide them personally? I'd say parents should personally teach their children at home about this because the other option entails a formidable risk.

Quote:
Those who insist the only people who should teach children are their parents or pastors, are only asking for trouble. It's not that many parents and ministers are not up to the task, but that so many cop out and only tell the part of the story they are comfortable with.
Then the program should not target the teenagers directly, but enable/encourage the parents how to teach their children themselves.

I beg to disagree that it must be accepted that teenagers would naturally engage in premarital sex so we cannot really do anything about it. We are rational beings who can choose the right thing if we are well-informed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness