U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2011, 09:48 AM

107 posts, read 169,177 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to get some opinions here.

I work in the environmental hazard industry in the area of lead (the metal) and specialize in lead based paint hazards.

Lead Poisoning and EBLLs (elevated blood lead levels) are still the number one environmental problem for children. Just a small amount (about a period (punctuation mark) on this page) can reduce IQ, change personalities, cause behavioral problems ... permanently.

In adults, a very small amount can increase your risk by ...

250% of death from stroke.
89% of death by heart attack
55% of developing cardiovascular
250% of developing a depressive disorder

and more

It is estimated that around 2,000,000 to 2,500,000 children have EBLLs to the point of causing damage.

Yet ... it is hardly ever mentioned. Why (in your opinion)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 09:16 PM

25,273 posts, read 30,114,286 times
The pediatricians I know are very knowledgeable about the risks of lead exposure and do screen for it. It should be discussed with every parent.

See here:

http://pediatrics.aappublications.or.../1072.full.pdf

CDC - Lead - Home Page

The CDC article estimates about 250,000 US children age 1 to 5 have elevated blood lead levels. That's quite a bit smaller than your figure, but still significant.

So it is a problem that is being addressed.

Adult exposure is primarily workplace associated, as you know.

Here is the CDC adult monitoring program:

CDC - Adult Blood Lead Epidemiology and Surveillance (ABLES): Program Description: NIOSH Workplace Safety and Health Topic

and the EPA site:

Lead Home | Lead in Paint, Dust, and Soil | US EPA

Thanks for bringing this up. The biggest part of dealing with it is making people aware of it.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:12 AM

Thanks for answering.

Note: the CDC 250,000 figure is for 10> mcg/dl. For 5> mcg/dl it is the 2,000,000+ I mentioned. New research is showing brain damage at this 5 mcg/dl level.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,177 times
Default Lead Poisoning and EBLLs

It is mentioned alot if you look for it. In Detroit there is a new ordinance requiring all rental properties to have lead paint inspections and lead risk assessments, fix all lead hazrds found, and obtain a lead clearance before the prental property can be occupied. This is a new ordinance. Lead can be linked to violent crimes, delinquency, disruptive behavior, etc. In the U.S. high crime areas are linked to high lead levels as well. Worldwide crime dropped in the 1990's as lead was no longer used as much in gasoline. There was an outbreak that killed more than 500 children recently in Nigeria due to lead exposures from mining operations. It is in the news a lot.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:25 AM

19,865 posts, read 57,956,152 times
It is also on the real estate disclosure form here in Utah, asking if you know of any lead paint in the house. I see it on the news from time to time, I don't think it is as ignored as the OP thinks it is.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:26 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Got a research paper, where it shows that more than 1 out of 4 children who live in a pre-1978 home that has lead based paint will be harmed permanently.

That is pretty good odds.

Even though these kids will become dumber, personality changed, poor cognitive function ... etc. ... I guess it won't make the local news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness