Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 06:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,498 times

Advertisements

Went in for a routine D & C and ended up with a pierced bladder due to unforeseen scar tissue. Lost 2 weeks from work and have just received over $2000 in medical bills (hospitals, emergency room visits (2), appts, meds, doctors, etc...)

Signed form at my gyno's regarding risks BUT come on...

An in and out procedures is bleeding me dry and everyone wants their money NOW!

SHould I contact BC/BS and let them hash it out or am I screwed because of the liability form I signed in gyno's office. I love my Dr. but hate the extra money this has screwed me out of...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 06:44 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygal View Post
Went in for a routine D & C and ended up with a pierced bladder due to unforeseen scar tissue. Lost 2 weeks from work and have just received over $2000 in medical bills (hospitals, emergency room visits (2), appts, meds, doctors, etc...)

SHould I contact BC/BS and let them hash it out or am I screwed because of the liability form I signed in gyno's office. I love my Dr. but hate the extra money this has screwed me out of...
The form you signed probably just releases the OB/GYN from -legal- liability should you experience complications from the procedure. I doubt it has anything to do with whether or not your insurance company will cover those complications. It just means you've agreed not to sue her for malpractice, because you knew going in that there were risks and you accepted them in advance.

Also, there is no such thing as a "routine" D&C. People don't go to their OB/GYN and say "oh hey I think it's time for my yearly D&C." You get them because there is some medical reason to get one.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:00 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,050,421 times
I'm not a lawyer so don't take this as legal advice. You should contact a lawyer to handle this.

My grandmother went into the hospital two years back to have a simple operation on her back and has never walked since.

Even though she signed release papers she has won almost 3/4 of a million for her care needs.

The paper is only as good as the lawyer you hire to fight it.

busta

Old 10-15-2011, 07:12 PM

37,099 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygal View Post

Your insurance should cover the additional treatment. Do not pay anything until BC/BS processes the claims. Your out of pocket expense should be only a small fraction of the $2000 unless you have a very large deductible that you have not yet paid.

The form you signed is not so much "liability" form as it is a "consent" form, as AnonChick said. By signing it, you state you understand the risks of the procedure, one of which is injury to the bladder.

It does not relieve the doc from liability, however. You cannot sign away your right to sue by signing a consent form. However, the doc can use the form to show you knew the complication could occur. In this case, since the bladder injury is an uncommon but known risk, even when the D & C is done properly, I do not believe the doc is guilty of malpractice.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:52 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Why wouldn't you be liable for the medical bills? You saw the dr, you owe the bill. You chose to go to the ER, you owe the bill.

If you have insurance and you said you do, then you're only liable for the portion your insurance won't cover.

The paper you signed probably also states that if your insurance doesn't pay, you will.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:21 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
good luck with that one kittygal.....it does seem unfair that you should have to pay for the doctors negligence....in this day and age...I guess it's a chance you take.....you can take heart from what bustaduke has to say...hope their is some kinda fair resolution for you....goodluck

Old 10-17-2011, 09:07 PM

37,099 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
good luck with that one kittygal.....it does seem unfair that you should have to pay for the doctors negligence....in this day and age...I guess it's a chance you take.....you can take heart from what bustaduke has to say...hope their is some kinda fair resolution for you....goodluck
The OP's complication can occur in the absence of any negligence on the part of the doctor.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:30 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
There is no indication from the OP's post that any "negligence" occurred.

In this "day and age" complications occur every day from routine medical procedures, just like they have in "every day and age" from the beginning of time....

Old 10-18-2011, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The OP's complication can occur in the absence of any negligence on the part of the doctor.

Thank you for pointing this out...it's something that most ppl seem to forget.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:46 AM

Quote:

Not seeing the 'negligence' here and consulting a lawyer isn't needed.

And the fair resolution to this situation is that she pays her medical bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness