U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-17-2011, 09:44 PM
 
Location: Susquehanna River, Union Co, PA
885 posts, read 1,343,838 times
Reputation: 1151

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I have turned down or not done 80% of what has been suggested to me and I thank God! . . .

I'm not dumb and do my own research and am my own advocate.
Well said!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-17-2011, 10:01 PM
 
Location: not new to houston anymore
276 posts, read 757,599 times
Reputation: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post

All of the unnecessary surgery is to line pockets . . .same with all of the RX prescriptions.
as a healthcare worker, i dont even know how that would work (getting $ for prescriptions).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2011, 10:08 PM
 
Location: earth?
7,288 posts, read 11,238,915 times
Reputation: 8956
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtohouston2 View Post
as a healthcare worker, i dont even know how that would work (getting $ for prescriptions).
Why don't you tell us why doctors tend to over-prescribe super DANGEROUS and/or ADDICTIVE medications at the drop of a hat?

Why all of the unnecessary tests?

Do you EVER rely on your gut instincts and forgo tests that you "should" prescribe (because it is the holy "protocol"???)

Do you feel pressured when the young, attractive drug company representatives call on you and ply you with samples of "new and improved" medications? What are those meetings like? (Let me guess, dismissing side-effects as "uncommon" and extolling the virtues of the new drugs . . .why do you even see the drug peddlers?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2011, 10:09 PM
 
Location: earth?
7,288 posts, read 11,238,915 times
Reputation: 8956
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtohouston2 View Post
as a healthcare worker, i dont even know how that would work (getting $ for prescriptions).
You don't think the drug companies are getting rich with the doctors acting as pushers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2011, 05:49 AM
 
Location: St. Louis
9,963 posts, read 17,872,765 times
Reputation: 14257
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
You don't think the drug companies are getting rich with the doctors acting as pushers?
You know, I hope we don't get this thread shut down. There is no need to put anyone on trial and the point of my starting this thread was so show the need to advocate for yourself. The docs are stuck in the system and I don't see the point of them playing Don Quixote and sticking their pins in the huge windmills of the giant medical system. You mentioned malpractice insurance reasons--that right there should be enough and if you dismiss that you're seriously underestimating the problem. But while your doc has his or her hands tied by the system, you still have the right to make your own, hopefully informed, choices.

I'm going to wander a bit off topic now--it's not just our medical institutions that are grown way out of proportion to what they used to be. All of our institutions are pretty much the same way, and I'm betting that you work in some field that is like that. I work for the public school system. Nuff said. Even farmers are not free, but as far as I know, the consumer is still king and if we don't like it, we can refuse to partake. I homeschooled my kids for years for this reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2011, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
19,865 posts, read 57,919,091 times
Reputation: 19182
BAck to topic, please.
__________________
Moderator for Utah, Salt Lake City, Diabetes, Cancer, Pets forums
//www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2011, 09:56 AM
 
Location: earth?
7,288 posts, read 11,238,915 times
Reputation: 8956
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
You know, I hope we don't get this thread shut down. There is no need to put anyone on trial and the point of my starting this thread was so show the need to advocate for yourself. The docs are stuck in the system and I don't see the point of them playing Don Quixote and sticking their pins in the huge windmills of the giant medical system. You mentioned malpractice insurance reasons--that right there should be enough and if you dismiss that you're seriously underestimating the problem. But while your doc has his or her hands tied by the system, you still have the right to make your own, hopefully informed, choices.


I'm going to wander a bit off topic now--it's not just our medical institutions that are grown way out of proportion to what they used to be. All of our institutions are pretty much the same way, and I'm betting that you work in some field that is like that. I work for the public school system. Nuff said. Even farmers are not free, but as far as I know, the consumer is still king and if we don't like it, we can refuse to partake. I homeschooled my kids for years for this reason.
The topic is "Have you ever turned down medical treatment?" Some of the answers to that question, if you have turned down medical treatment (which many of us have) is that the doctors are prescribing treatments and medications based on something other than strictly health inspired reasons . . .I was simply pointing that out.

I personally believe if you don't speak up, then you are colluding with the corrupt system, whichever corrupt system you find yourself in . . .

These subjects aren't just black and white - there are complex systems and politics driving them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2011, 10:44 AM
 
15,803 posts, read 9,811,436 times
Reputation: 68436
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Have you ever been prescribed a med and not filled the scrip?
Probably, but more often I've actually filled the scrip and then didn't take the meds or only took some. Never did that for something like an antibiotic but have done for other types of meds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Ordered to have a test and not done it?
Yes. I don't regret skipping meds or certain tests.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
How about telling the doc, "No I'm not going to do that?"
I decided against recommended scheduled surgery and that was a gamble I 'lost' and ended up needing emergency surgery for that problem. That put me in a worse situation in terms of possible complications during surgery and potentially longer or more difficult recovery period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
If you were 90 and had a lump in your breast, would you see a doc or let it go?
If I'm still like I am now I'd probably let it go for a while and then see a doctor about it eventually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I'm just curious about how many people stand up to their doc since I know so many people who would never dream of doing that.
I don't consider it standing up to my doctor as much as I see it as working together with her. She is there to advise me and it's on me to do as she recommends, probe further, or opt out. I keep her apprised of my decisions so she can make more accurate assessments of my progress or changes in health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2011, 11:28 AM
 
52 posts, read 71,327 times
Reputation: 77
i consider their advice, do my own research, then make an educated choice which may mean telling them no, taking their advice, or discussing alterations to their advice. often i look for a natural alternative. i do not think its wise to just follow doctors orders without question, each doctor will probably have a diff opinion and in the end you are ultimately responsible for your health. consumers are more educated now and taking their health into their own hands more and more. i know a long time ago people didn’t question authority or doctors.

something to think about
40 percent of worldwide annual prescription drug sales were in US America in 2007
yet we make up 5 % of world population.
America is only the 49th country for langth of life expectancy according to this sight
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_lif_exp_at_bir_tot_pop-life-expectancy-birth-total-population
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2011, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
25,201 posts, read 30,070,230 times
Reputation: 31332
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadQueen View Post
i consider their advice, do my own research, then make an educated choice which may mean telling them no, taking their advice, or discussing alterations to their advice. often i look for a natural alternative. i do not think its wise to just follow doctors orders without question, each doctor will probably have a diff opinion and in the end you are ultimately responsible for your health. consumers are more educated now and taking their health into their own hands more and more. i know a long time ago people didn’t question authority or doctors.

something to think about
40 percent of worldwide annual prescription drug sales were in US America in 2007
yet we make up 5 % of world population.
America is only the 49th country for langth of life expectancy according to this sight
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_lif_exp_at_bir_tot_pop-life-expectancy-birth-total-population

The first country --- actually more of a small city --- on your list is Monaco, with a population of a little over 30,000 and the highest per capita income in the world. Unemployment is zero percent. There is very little crime.The country has mandatory state funded health care. I venture to say the reason for the high life expectancy is a reflection of access to medical care and is not because people in Monaco reject allopathic medicine.

Americans shoulder most of the financial burden of new drug research and development. And there are millions of people in some areas of the world that have little or no access to medical care or prescription drugs at all.

Even the health systems in Europe realize this is inequitable:

Cash Flow Woes in EU - Pharmaceutical Executive

"But there is a paradox—according to Philippe Kourilsky, professor of molecular immunology at the Collège de France. Despite having a higher population than the US, Europe's innovation contribution is three to four times lower. He's not alone in his concern about innovation. "I keep telling my colleagues in the European Parliament that there will be no generics without innovation," said French MEP Françoise Grossetête. 'If we cut prices, then we won't have new drugs. If we cut reimbursement then we deprive pharma companies of the money.' "

The US also produces almost 30% of the total goods and services worldwide.

Prescription sales are just another marker of the overall wealth of the US, even in the current economic environment.

So unless you can convince me that people in the countries ranked higher than the US in life expectancy live longer because they reject the treatments their doctors recommend, then the rankings have no relevance to the topic in the original post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top