U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 04:44 PM

4,924 posts, read 6,902,319 times

Advertisements

My uncle had celiac, and I seem to have gluten intolerance- I can eat it but only if I want to "pay" with pretty uncomfortable GI symptoms.

I love Udi's products - esp. their hot dog buns , Tinkyada pasta, Bob's Red Mill Cornbread Mix - those are the main things I use to get my wheat fix when I am craving bread/pasta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 06:09 PM

3,279 posts, read 6,862,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I am curious about the seemingly "sudden" onset of so many people with gluten issues. Even as recently as a few years ago I had never heard of this. Now where I am living you see "gluten free" this and that everywhere and on these forums alone I see so many with gluten issues.
That's because it's a fad. I was eating at Pizza Hut the other day and they were selling a damn gluten free pizza. I started laughing. My local Aldi sells all sorts of gluten free stuff too. The only people who really need to watch gluten intake are the 1% of the population with celiac disease. That's it.

I wonder when lactose will be declared bad and droves of (non-lactose intolerant people) will preach the benefits of drinking lactose-free milk.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:53 PM

13,253 posts, read 37,888,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
That's because it's a fad. I was eating at Pizza Hut the other day and they were selling a damn gluten free pizza. I started laughing. My local Aldi sells all sorts of gluten free stuff too. The only people who really need to watch gluten intake are the 1% of the population with celiac disease. That's it.

I wonder when lactose will be declared bad and droves of (non-lactose intolerant people) will preach the benefits of drinking lactose-free milk.
Actually - lactose intolerance is common, which is why there are so many lactose-free dairy products on the market, and Lactaid (the medication). It's also one of the reasons why packaged foods that contain dairy are marked "contains dairy." It's not that lactose is bad, it's bad for people who are lactose-intolerant. Which is - a whole huge big heaping lot of people.

Gluten insensitivity is much less common, and Celiac disease even less common than that. But gluten insensitivity -is- real, and it isn't just people with Celiac who have to avoid gluten. IBS sufferers can find some relief by avoiding gluten as well. For those who don't have Celiac but do have sensitivities, they can handle foods that are processed in the same place as gluten-containing ingredients. And yes, they can tolerate foods that might have a little cross-contamination of regular flour mixed with the gluten-free flour. Celiac are the ones who *cannot* tolerate *any* gluten without experiencing the symptoms of their illness. But people who have sensitivities still need to avoid gluten as much as possible.

The market is accommodating their needs...

but I ALSO think there's a lot of bruhaha over nothing for millions of UNaffected people who buy into the "Wheat Belly" weight loss fad. Yes - that is definitely a fad. But that doesn't discount the millions of people who genuinely need to avoid gluten. And those aren't only people with Celiac.

Also, laughing at the idea that the market accommodates people who don't eat like you do is pretty insensitive. I hope some day when you are old and wrinkled and hunched over with arthritis, someone does you a kindness. Maybe then your eyes will open and you'll see humanity.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:05 AM

6,396 posts, read 5,892,138 times
For some its a fad diet that they'll soon tire of but thanks to them there's lots more variety out there for those of us who do have Coeliac disease (and 1 in every 100 means its not that rare at all really)

Its been well known over here for a long time, as has lactose intolerance, and plenty of gluten-free or lactose-free products have been available for donkeys years.

Had a GF pizza from pizza hut, not bad but I've had better. A lot of pizza places are doing GF options now which is nice, and in the UK fish and chip shops will have GF days sometimes.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:41 AM

13,253 posts, read 37,888,439 times
Also gluten-free pizza prepared in typical pizza joints around here, are -not- safe for people with Celiac. They're prepared on the same counters as the regular-dough pizzas and cooked in the same ovens. There's regular gluten-containing flour that cross contaminates. People with IBS or even gluten sensitivity will likely not be affected at all by this tiny amount of gluten that ends up in the finished product. But people with Celiac most likely will.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Also gluten-free pizza prepared in typical pizza joints around here, are -not- safe for people with Celiac. They're prepared on the same counters as the regular-dough pizzas and cooked in the same ovens. There's regular gluten-containing flour that cross contaminates. People with IBS or even gluten sensitivity will likely not be affected at all by this tiny amount of gluten that ends up in the finished product. But people with Celiac most likely will.
That's a pity. The pizza place I go to here prepares the GF dough separately and its cooked in a special tray so doesn't get crumbs from the oven. Its good enough that I don't get a reaction.

Can get GF burgers at many places, and one nice restaurant I went to the other week said they could turn pretty much all their dishes gluten free upon request. I've often been given GF bread to go with meals at many restaurants. Things are certainly much better than they used to be! Best thing is - bars that serve gluten free beer on tap. I was in heaven

Old 04-10-2015, 10:23 AM

2,079 posts, read 2,710,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post

agreed.

I work in a deli part time and a few years ago I started being asked if we had gluten deli meats. I went to my manager and was like "wtf is gluten???". another common thing was "nitrate free". I heard that before I heard the gluten thing. of course the deli location is in a neighborhood full of yuppies that are always inventing fads based on illnesses that they think they have. speaking of which, im starting to think that "1%" has a different intended meaning.

its clever marketing. make gluten free products twice the price of the same products that have gluten. genius! omfg gluten is bad. it causes cancer. you will grow a third arm out of your forehead if you eat gluten!

Old 04-10-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
agreed.

I work in a deli part time and a few years ago I started being asked if we had gluten deli meats. I went to my manager and was like "wtf is gluten???". another common thing was "nitrate free". I heard that before I heard the gluten thing. of course the deli location is in a neighborhood full of yuppies that are always inventing fads based on illnesses that they think they have. speaking of which, im starting to think that "1%" has a different intended meaning.

its clever marketing. make gluten free products twice the price of the same products that have gluten. genius! omfg gluten is bad. it causes cancer. you will grow a third arm out of your forehead if you eat gluten!
Its actually worked the other way. GF products used to be around 5 or 6 times the price of the normal version before the faddiness took off but prices have gone down these last few years now there's more variety so more competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness