U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 05:21 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,678,921 times

Advertisements

It came on during the last six months ~~ an intolerance to gluten products ~ bread, pasta, etc. I'm dealing with it OK as there is an abundance of gluten-free foods in most supermarkets, and especially in the health food stores.

Anyone else having to endure this condition? Can you share any tips, recipes, experience on this topic ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 11:39 AM

3,651 posts, read 6,495,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
It came on during the last six months ~~ an intolerance to gluten products ~ bread, pasta, etc. I'm dealing with it OK as there is an abundance of gluten-free foods in most supermarkets, and especially in the health food stores.

Anyone else having to endure this condition? Can you share any tips, recipes, experience on this topic ?

Yep , the day after I graduated culinary school for a degree in baking and pastry of all things I find out! Talk about crap luck right? I landed in the ER after being given a "flour salute" in the parking lot (students doused me in flour). I had/have sores in my mouth, bumps on my fingers , dizziness, brainfog , vibrating feelings, weakness, shakiness and the list goes on I have been sick for 7 years, and admittedly I still have health issues but I've only been gluten free for 9 days. I ordered the 2011/2012 Gluten Free shopping guide from amazon which I'm excited to recieve.

They have gluten free magazines esp for "surviving the holidays" with lots of recipies along with lots and lots of cookbooks that I've found in Barnes and Noble

Old 10-18-2011, 12:01 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,104,179 times
My only "tip" .... Food For Life Millet Bread.
I eat it in the morning ... toasted with ghee, raw organic tahini or almond butter, and some fruit spread.
I love the way it tastes (and the texture / density) when it's toasted.
foodforlife

Old 10-18-2011, 12:53 PM

8,308 posts, read 35,217,152 times
Redbridge makes a pretty decent gluten-free sorghum beer.

Pamela's Products has great bread (excellent for pizza crust) and pancake flour.

Haagen Daz is generally gluten free, although some people can only eat the Haagen Daz "5" line.

Udi's bread is pretty good.

We have yet to find wine that induces a reaction.

Distilled liquors from wheat and barley mash generally do not retain enough gluten proteins to cause a reaction; i.e. scotch is okay even though beer is not.

Oats do not intrinsically have gluten - the gluten in oatmeal is incidental to its processing. Oatmeal produced in a wheat free facility is gluten-free.

Learn to love polenta.

The trick is to stop eating a lot of junk food and packaged food. You have to actually cook your
meals. If you are lucky enough to live in a state with good Mexican food, your dining focus will likely change to that.

Last night we had grilled venison that had marinated overnight in a light olive oil bath, fresh chopped rosemary and thyme, salt and black pepper and a little splash of worchestire sauce, steamed broccoli drizzed with lemon-garlic butter and quinoa with garden okra, red onions and tomatoes. Pretty danged good and no discernable gluten (while the Lea & Perrings worchestire sauce conforms to FDA gluten free guidelines, it is questionable whether it is suitable for the most sensitive individuals).

Old 10-19-2011, 08:01 PM

61,000 posts, read 58,265,890 times
Udi's makes bagels, too. The cinnamon raisin ones aren't bad toasted with peanut butter.

Tinkyata pasta is one of the better gf brands.

And these cookies are good. My Dads Cookies

I am not gluten intolerant, but my daughter is. I eat gluten-free when she's home from college, but now even when she's gone I go for days without eating any gluten, and I notice that I feel better and it's easier to lose weight.

I now prefer gluten-free pancakes to the regular kind. They don't sit as heavily in the stomach. We use a lot of Bob's Red Mill products for flour and pancake mix.

Even Betty Crocker now makes a gf cake mix.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:28 AM

15,681 posts, read 32,405,931 times
I am curious about the seemingly "sudden" onset of so many people with gluten issues. Even as recently as a few years ago I had never heard of this. Now where I am living you see "gluten free" this and that everywhere and on these forums alone I see so many with gluten issues. Is this a new thing, caused by altered foods, or is it just now being diagnosed where maybe doctors didn't understand it before? Also, how does one know if they are truly allergic to gluten as opposed to a mild sensitivity? I am truly curious, and NOT doubting anyone or anything, just wondering about the widespread gluten issues these days. Lord knows I have my various allergies/sensitivities, but knock-on-wood don't seem to have a gluten issues so far. I love my wheat!

Old 10-20-2011, 07:39 AM

3,290 posts, read 7,411,920 times
You may want to check out Celiac Chicks | The Guide to a Hip & Healthy Gluten-free Lifestyle They have some great links and info.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:45 AM

478 posts, read 664,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I am curious about the seemingly "sudden" onset of so many people with gluten issues. Even as recently as a few years ago I had never heard of this. Now where I am living you see "gluten free" this and that everywhere and on these forums alone I see so many with gluten issues. Is this a new thing, caused by altered foods, or is it just now being diagnosed where maybe doctors didn't understand it before? Also, how does one know if they are truly allergic to gluten as opposed to a mild sensitivity? I am truly curious, and NOT doubting anyone or anything, just wondering about the widespread gluten issues these days. Lord knows I have my various allergies/sensitivities, but knock-on-wood don't seem to have a gluten issues so far. I love my wheat!
The level of Gluten intolerant varies between one person and another. That fog or ill filling that many people have day after day can be caused by gluten intolerance. Celiac disease is full blown intolerance...you can be tested for Celiac disease.

Everyone can benefit by cutting down on Gluten/wheat/ grain products.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:15 AM

8,308 posts, read 35,217,152 times
Quote:
A lot of people with diagnoses like IBS, colitis and others as well as people who just have unexplained "stomach issues" find relief by switching to a gluten free diet.

Celiac disease occurs in about 1 out of 100 people so it isn't exactly common, but it isn't exactly rare either. Apparently people of Irish decent have a higher likelihood.

I think this is nothing new, just the result of a more widespread awareness.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:29 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,678,921 times
Quote:
In my case, the sudden onset of my gluten intolerance was brought on by severe life-altering STRESS ( I read online that is one of the triggers ) ! I considered testing myself by eliminating gluten from my diet and almost immediately my adverse "symptoms" ceased ! After a couple of accidents when I ingested wheat products and the symptoms returned ~ that confirmed my belief.

I've been gluten-free for several months and feel normal

P.S. Gluten intolerance is not new ~ my son was diagnosed with it 40 years ago ! so perhaps there is a genetic element.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness