U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 06:57 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,110,359 times

Advertisements

You seem overly concerned / fearful about your kidneys and rather attached to your beer drinking.
Maybe it would be best to focus on the health of your whole body, ie; eat well, exercise, drink plenty of good water and keep your alcohol consumption to a minimum or let go of it all together.
If the thought of never drinking a beer again is difficult to imagine, maybe you need to examine that.
It's just beer ... unless you've got a bit of an (dare i say?) addiction.
Someone said that beer doesn't effect the kidneys but just makes you pee a lot.
What a brilliant statement.
This is an easy to understand page about the kidneys and the effects of alcohol on them.
Kidneys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 09:05 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,111,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberlina26 View Post
What was your serum creatinine level in 2009?
Hi Amberlina, the last report from 2009 does not have my creatine reading for some reason I do not know, however, I do have a report from March 2008 and it's listed as 1.1.

That is quite interesting as I started drinking regularly only in early 2008...prior to that I didn't drink much...it could be the diet but I think that shouldn't specifically affect the kidneys since my BP has always been normal.

I consulted some others and they told me that estimated GFR is inaccurate above 60.

If my creatine was 1.1 and high at that stage why aren't the docs telling me something is wrong, even now if my GFR is low why is the doc telling me I am fine... it's the doctor's job to advice if there is a potential problem down the road not say I am in "perfect" health...these numbers indicate far from perfect! If I am going to have a kidney problem when I am in my 60s I want to at least know about it now so I can take some action.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:46 PM

25,337 posts, read 30,148,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Drinking beer makes you pee a lot but does not damage the kidneys.
I will concede this was poorly worded.

I did not say that alcohol does not affect the kidney. If it makes you pee more, it obviously does.

However, alcohol use is not a common cause of chronic kidney disease.

Chronic Kidney Disease: Renal Failure: Merck Manual Professional

I still feel the OP should be monitored for any future decrease in kidney function and should decrease his alcohol consumption more for the effects on the liver and brain. People who consume excess alcohol eventually develop malnutrition and multiple adverse effects on many organs. I do not think alcohol is the cause of OP's increase in creatinine and possible decrease in GFR, if his consumption is the level he has described. Daily consumption, even of "just" beer, is a red flag for a drinking problem and should be addressed.

I regret my comment was somewhat flippant.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:59 PM

OP, take this test:

https://www.merck.healthinkonline.co...SourceCAGE.asp

Old 10-21-2011, 09:43 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,111,727 times
no need, I stopped drinking...have not had a beer in a week!

Old 10-21-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
no need, I stopped drinking...have not had a beer in a week!
Good for you!

Old 10-22-2011, 01:03 AM

14,192 posts, read 15,272,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Hi Amberlina, the last report from 2009 does not have my creatine reading for some reason I do not know, however, I do have a report from March 2008 and it's listed as 1.1.

That is quite interesting as I started drinking regularly only in early 2008...prior to that I didn't drink much...it could be the diet but I think that shouldn't specifically affect the kidneys since my BP has always been normal.

I consulted some others and they told me that estimated GFR is inaccurate above 60.

If my creatine was 1.1 and high at that stage why aren't the docs telling me something is wrong, even now if my GFR is low why is the doc telling me I am fine... it's the doctor's job to advice if there is a potential problem down the road not say I am in "perfect" health...these numbers indicate far from perfect! If I am going to have a kidney problem when I am in my 60s I want to at least know about it now so I can take some action.
people stay in their "stages" for years and years. you may always stay stable where you are now. the only thing you can really do is get blood tests twice a year or yearly to monitor your GFR you can not reverse kidney damage. these kidneys can last and work for you for all your life.

most people w/CKD didn't even know it and found out because something else was wrong. with CKD there really isn't much you can do to stop it. just hope you stay in the early stages for the rest of your life. which is very possible. get a good doc. and ask what they think about enjoying a beer every now and again.

I am in stage 3 and monitor every 6 months. it is hard not to worry but try not to, it doesn't do you any good except make you anxious. good luck

Old 10-22-2011, 02:18 PM

96 posts, read 292,716 times
Hothulamaui gave good advice. Try not to let it consume you. The worry will just add stress. The advice from my husband's doc was to change your diet and lay off the junk food. Eat right and don't drink a beer every day. He said an occasional one or two is fine and that your liver will thank you for giving up the every day thing. In 6 months, instead of going to your general doc, go to a nephrologist(kidney doc). He/she could test you and give you a better idea than your general doc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness