Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2011, 04:08 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times

Advertisements

What order are these best for health/anti-oxidants, etc.? I was using Orgo Raw Honey & Orgo Maple but now see Currants & Marmelade may have MORE anti-oxidants? Have no clue here.

All have high sugars (offset by nutrients though??) thus all can serve health purpose from what I see yet have no idea which, if I want keep bld sugar down, if any are ok?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 06:54 PM

2,026 posts, read 3,345,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
What order are these best for health/anti-oxidants, etc.? I was using Orgo Raw Honey & Orgo Maple but now see Currants & Marmelade may have MORE anti-oxidants? Have no clue here.

All have high sugars (offset by nutrients though??) thus all can serve health purpose from what I see yet have no idea which, if I want keep bld sugar down, if any are ok?
So - what you are asking is - what natural sweetners are best for you, to keep your blood sugar down but also have anti-oxidant properties? Because if they are healthy sugars, they work better with your blood sugar?

I think the best thing would be to ask your doctor or nutritionist, or to do some research online and read different articles you find about each.

I know from what i have read, the healthiest natural sweetners are blackstrap molasses, agave syrup, pure maple syrup, raw sugar, stevia, and honey.

But i dont want to go ahead and say they are OK for your blood sugar. Check to be sure first

Old 10-20-2011, 07:30 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Don't think of "non-sugar" sugars as "more healthy." Think of them instead as "less unhealthy." It might be a matter of semantics, but it's also a matter of perspective. When you have a blood sugar problem, then sugar and carbs are ALL unhealthy, and the difference is only a matter of degree. Some are less unhealthy than others, but none of them are "healthy."

When your blood sugar drops low, a -small- amount of carb in the form of starch - such as a few bites of a chunk of bread, or a couple of saltines, or a couple of french fries, is all it takes in most cases to bring it back up to normal long enough for you to prepare a healthy meal for yourself.

When your blood sugar spikes up, in general, the only thing you can do other than medication, is to wait it out, and do some kind of physical activity such as jumps, or a sprint, or twisting side to side briskly, or jogging in place.

To prevent the spikes, you have to limit your carb intake. Sugars and starches especially. You don't necessarily have to eliminate them, but you have to restrict them. Don't have them in each meal, and don't eat too much in whichever meals you do choose to eat them in.

The specifics would be between you and your physician. But it's carbs that you need to watch out for, and sugar (in all its forms) is a carbohydrate.

Edited to add: I know this because I regularly experience blood sugar drops usually a half hour before my body wants its next meal. If I don't address that drop, I get nauseated, dizzy, sweaty, and disoriented. I also experience spikes. My blood sugar is -usually- normal, so there's really nothing I can do about this, other than to be aware of how I'm feeling compared with whether or not it's mealtime, and adjust accordingly. Mealtime, to me, is whenever my body tells me it's mealtime. If that's 7AM, then it's 7AM. If it isn't til 11:30, then that's when it is.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:08 PM

2,026 posts, read 3,345,213 times
Yep - i have low-blood sugar too - have had it for years.

Before i knew what it was, i had bad experiences at work and was scared to death!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness