U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-22-2011, 03:50 AM
 
Location: Between Heaven And Hell.
11,512 posts, read 7,861,154 times
Reputation: 14813

Advertisements

The summer has ended, and my Asthma is becoming a slight concern, I look around for areas that could be beneficial to my health, and that I could expect to live a normal life in.

So many things to consider; pollution, forests producing allergens, agricultural practices, humidity, height above sea level, temperature variations, and even suitable houses. (There are probably more that I haven’t thought of at the moment).

So, would you move to another area for the sake of your health?

If so, where?

You could give reasons for why this area would be good for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-22-2011, 05:59 AM
 
Location: Nebraska
4,178 posts, read 9,653,691 times
Reputation: 9592
Did it.

DH was severely injured and worker's comp gave him an "expiration date" of three years. About that time I was diagnosed with lupus.

We decided to heck with it. We moved out of our heavily-active city life 1700 miles away to a farm. We live where there is pure air, clear water, and natural foods. We raise our own vegetables and meats and are working on (next year) an orchard and to produce our own honey. The work is hard but the rewards are great. We are healthier and stronger, have less stress and can do things in our time frame, no one else's. DH has already outlived his "expiration date" by two years, and I expect him to live a lot longer. I have reduced my lupus "flares" from every three-four months to every 16 months or so and they are a lot less intense (part of which has to do with an excellent and responsive physician - who doesn't think that steroids are the answer!).

So, yes, I think that moving for one's health is a good idea. Although with asthma I would be very careful - what seems like a good place for allergens during most months of the year may sneak up on you with different allergens!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2011, 06:47 AM
 
3,651 posts, read 6,512,319 times
Reputation: 5526
Yes doing it. I have Dysautonomia and Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome. Because of these conditions I have problems with my blood pressure (it drops drastically and suddenly without warning) Heat is my enemy. The hotter it is the worse my symptoms become including dizziness, fainting, rapid heart rate, sick feeling and so on. I live in south Florida so I can't escape the heat for 9 or so months a year. My cardiologist has even told me I need to get out so are making the move back to New England in the next few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2011, 07:38 AM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,345 posts, read 84,828,909 times
Reputation: 17581
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
The summer has ended, and my Asthma is becoming a slight concern, I look around for areas that could be beneficial to my health, and that I could expect to live a normal life in.

So many things to consider; pollution, forests producing allergens, agricultural practices, humidity, height above sea level, temperature variations, and even suitable houses. (There are probably more that I haven’t thought of at the moment).

So, would you move to another area for the sake of your health?

If so, where?

You could give reasons for why this area would be good for you.
It depends (in bolded font 72).

What if you make less money elsewhere?
What if you can deal with you asthma (perhaps with medication or electronic air processors) locally without moving?
What about moving away from your friends and family?
What if there are several other things about the new location that bug you more?
What about the cost of moving including selling your home and other moving expenses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2011, 03:16 PM
 
Location: Between Heaven And Hell.
11,512 posts, read 7,861,154 times
Reputation: 14813
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Did it.

DH was severely injured and worker's comp gave him an "expiration date" of three years. About that time I was diagnosed with lupus.

We decided to heck with it. We moved out of our heavily-active city life 1700 miles away to a farm. We live where there is pure air, clear water, and natural foods. We raise our own vegetables and meats and are working on (next year) an orchard and to produce our own honey. The work is hard but the rewards are great. We are healthier and stronger, have less stress and can do things in our time frame, no one else's. DH has already outlived his "expiration date" by two years, and I expect him to live a lot longer. I have reduced my lupus "flares" from every three-four months to every 16 months or so and they are a lot less intense (part of which has to do with an excellent and responsive physician - who doesn't think that steroids are the answer!).

So, yes, I think that moving for one's health is a good idea. Although with asthma I would be very careful - what seems like a good place for allergens during most months of the year may sneak up on you with different allergens!
I have to admire you for taking such a great leap, it sounds to be a beyond comparison to what you would have had now, well done. It’s good to see that the move helped both you and your Husband so much.

The last part of what you say is definitely true, I’ve been to places just for a holiday, and found that my Asthma worsens greatly, and unexpectedly, I might add.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2011, 03:27 PM
 
Location: Between Heaven And Hell.
11,512 posts, read 7,861,154 times
Reputation: 14813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Yes doing it. I have Dysautonomia and Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome. Because of these conditions I have problems with my blood pressure (it drops drastically and suddenly without warning) Heat is my enemy. The hotter it is the worse my symptoms become including dizziness, fainting, rapid heart rate, sick feeling and so on. I live in south Florida so I can't escape the heat for 9 or so months a year. My cardiologist has even told me I need to get out so are making the move back to New England in the next few years.
I’m sorry to hear how badly you are suffering, it sounds awful. I wish you luck with the move, and hope it benefits you greatly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2011, 03:47 PM
 
Location: Between Heaven And Hell.
11,512 posts, read 7,861,154 times
Reputation: 14813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
It depends (in bolded font 72).

What if you make less money elsewhere?
What if you can deal with you asthma (perhaps with medication or electronic air processors) locally without moving?
What about moving away from your friends and family?
What if there are several other things about the new location that bug you more?
What about the cost of moving including selling your home and other moving expenses?
These are all good questions to take into consideration.

I can control the Asthma, in fact I’ve not needed medication for over a year now, (I do keep some medication in reserve, it would be silly not to), but all of a sudden it’s back, and without an obvious reason, (It could be just a sudden change in the weather, but who knows).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2011, 07:44 PM
 
Location: Brawndo-Thirst-Mutilator-Nation
17,744 posts, read 17,788,775 times
Reputation: 14367
Yep, just moved for my health.

I was living in a rooming house (flophouse) in Downtown Sc*m Diego, my stress levels were maxing out. Moved to Spokane and my stress levels are MUCH better, the move was well worth the effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2011, 11:05 AM
 
Location: Between Heaven And Hell.
11,512 posts, read 7,861,154 times
Reputation: 14813
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Yep, just moved for my health.

I was living in a rooming house (flophouse) in Downtown Sc*m Diego, my stress levels were maxing out. Moved to Spokane and my stress levels are MUCH better, the move was well worth the effort.
That's about as good a reason to move as anyone could have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2011, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Brawndo-Thirst-Mutilator-Nation
17,744 posts, read 17,788,775 times
Reputation: 14367
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
That's about as good a reason to move as anyone could have.
Tell me about it...............I was on of the few non-smokers in a 100 unit building...........the place reaked of filtharette smoke..........my sinuses were killing me.........much better now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:39 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top