U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 10:13 AM

6,322 posts, read 9,108,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I thought you quit drinking. I think you are OBSESSED with alcohol. Might want to look into that.
I did quit drinking, which is why I am wondering if I went to the complete extreme or if I should've just reduced to moderation instead of completely giving up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 11:22 AM

14,191 posts, read 15,267,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I did quit drinking, which is why I am wondering if I went to the complete extreme or if I should've just reduced to moderation instead of completely giving up.
go see a kidney doctor, they can put you at ease and give you a much better idea on what and how much you can drink

Old 10-23-2011, 11:33 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,766,815 times
Quote:
Probably depends why you quit. If it's cause you're an alcoholic giving it up would be the safest course. From what I've observed there's no way to become an alcoholic moderate drinker.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:56 AM

7,288 posts, read 11,252,252 times
Quote:
Why are you even THINKING about this? Why aren't you working, studying, exercising, doing your hobby, reading, etc.? WHY is alcohol of such interest to you?

I think when you answer that question, you might be onto something.

Have you gone to an AA meeting? It might be interesting for you and a good way to spend your time.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:36 PM

507 posts, read 1,379,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It's not a shame. The shame, is in someone posting a thread like this, knowing that some members won't realize that he's posted previously about his drinking problem.

People with drinking problems shouldn't drink, period. No amount of alcohol will be healthy for them, period.

It's like a pedophile asking if it's considered bad manners to talk to young children - without mentioning that, by the way, he's a pedophile.
Your pedophile comparison is very telling of your general attitude. Sorry comparing the two is beyond absurd. Alcohol is not evil, you get that, right?

I don't know the posters history, does that mean he/she doesn't deserve a valid answer to the question asked?

Old 10-23-2011, 04:09 PM

13,253 posts, read 37,879,151 times
My answer was valid. In the OP's case, the valid answer is "no amount of alcohol is healthy for you."

Old 10-23-2011, 08:33 PM

276 posts, read 758,138 times
You should not start drinking again. I agree with a previous poster about the recommendation to not START drinking to get a health benefit. If what people are saying is true, that you have some alcohol dependency/addiction problems, then you should definitely not drink any. If you are currently drinking, you want to have a Dr tell you how to safely stop. If you've been off alcohol for several days and are doing fine (no shakes, etc), you should just stay off the alcohol.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:05 AM

6,322 posts, read 9,108,509 times
geez! I do not have a drinking issue at all, otherwise I would not have been able to quit on my own. I just used to drink a bit above average...especially with friends, all of them drink as well so they're alcoholics too? Even 3-4 beers a day may be excessive but not alcoholism...heck, they drink that much in Germany on average! Not everyone who consumes 1 too many are alcoholics!! Suggest not jumping to conclusions without complete information

Old 10-24-2011, 10:45 AM

96 posts, read 292,633 times
Quote:
geez! I do not have a drinking issue at all, otherwise I would not have been able to quit on my own. I just used to drink a bit above average...especially with friends, all of them drink as well so they're alcoholics too? Even 3-4 beers a day may be excessive but not alcoholism...heck, they drink that much in Germany on average! Not everyone who consumes 1 too many are alcoholics!! Suggest not jumping to conclusions without complete information
People probably think you are an alcoholic because of your posts. You made a thread where you're concerned with doing what you can to not end up with kidney disease but yet seemed more concerned about being able to have a beer. After being advised to not drink and to watch your diet, you make this thread about drinking every day. You made a poll on how much people drink. If you really feel the need to be drinking every day, go see a kidney doc and get their opinion on it.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:53 PM

17,617 posts, read 16,400,625 times
Quote:
I just used to drink a bit above average...especially with friends, all of them drink as well so they're alcoholics too? Even 3-4 beers a day may be excessive but not alcoholism...
That you consider 3-4 drinks per day not excessive is a cause for concern.

One of many self tests for problem drinking:

1. Do you feel you are a normal drinker? ("normal" - drink as much or less than most other people)?
2. Have you ever awakened the morning after some drinking the night before and found that you could not remember a part of the evening?
3. Does any near relative or close friend ever worry or complain about your drinking?
4. Can you stop drinking without difficulty after one or two drinks?
5. Do you ever feel guilty about your drinking?
6. Have you ever attended a meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous (AA)?
7. Have you ever gotten into physical fights when drinking?
8. Has drinking ever created problems between you and a near relative or close friend?
9. Has any family member or close friend gone to anyone for help about your drinking?
10. Have you ever lost friends because of your drinking?
11. Have you ever gotten into trouble at work because of drinking?
12. Have you ever lost a job because of drinking?
13. Have you ever neglected your obligations, your family, or your work for two or more days in a row because you were drinking?
14. Do you drink before noon fairly often?
15. Have you ever been told you have liver trouble such as cirrhosis?
16. After heavy drinking have you ever had delirium tremens (D.T.'s), severe shaking, visual or auditory (hearing) hallucinations?
17. Have you ever gone to anyone for help about your drinking?
18. Have you ever been hospitalized because of drinking?
19. Have you ever gone to any doctor, social worker, clergyman or mental health clinic for help with any emotional problem in which drinking was part of the problem?
20. Have you been arrested more than once for driving under the influence of alcohol?
21. Have you ever been arrested, even for a few hours, because of other behavior while drinking?

This quiz is scored by allocating 1 point to each 'yes' answer--except for questions 1 and 4, where 1 point is allocated for each 'no' answer--and totalling the responses.

0-2 = No Apparent Problem

3-5 = Early or Middle Problem Drinker

6+ = Problem Drinker
This is a good alcoholism test and will give you a pretty good idea where you or a loved one stand. 3-5 points indicates you're pretty much showing alcohol abuse symptoms and anything above 6 points full-blown alcoholism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness