U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 04:06 PM

14,364 posts, read 19,757,297 times

Advertisements

I was just discharged from the hospital and I was refered to a dr that I know I cannot afford and I dont have health insurance . I was wondering if anyone knows a polite way to tell them that I wont be seeing them because of not having money or insurance to pay for the visit ? I just cannot believe that they refered me to an outside dr that I cannot possibly pay for . Thanks in advance for any advice given .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 04:14 PM

13,253 posts, read 37,852,528 times
I'd be up front and clear. "He sounds like the perfect doctor for me, but unfortunately I can't afford his fees and I don't have insurance."

You could even call the place you were referred to and let them know: "I was referred to your office for <insert the problem here>. Unfortunately, I don't have insurance and can't afford your fees. Could you possibly make a recommendation to a different physician in a similar practice, or, do you have payment plans we could discuss?"

Old 10-23-2011, 04:39 PM

25,219 posts, read 30,079,605 times
If you were in the hospital, it would seem that you have a problem that is serious enough that some sort of continuing care is needed.

First, if you do not have hospital insurance, talk to someone in the hospital business office about discounts. If you have access to any funds that would allow you to pay cash, in full, you may be able to negotiate a much lower cost.

Next, call the office to which you have been referred. You may find that they are willing to work with you. If not, contact the hospital and see if they have medical staff who have agreed to see self pay patients at a reduced cost.

A Social Worker (hospitals have them on staff) will know what resources are available in your community. Ask to speak with one.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:17 PM

8,874 posts, read 14,051,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I'd be up front and clear. "He sounds like the perfect doctor for me, but unfortunately I can't afford his fees and I don't have insurance."

You could even call the place you were referred to and let them know: "I was referred to your office for <insert the problem here>. Unfortunately, I don't have insurance and can't afford your fees. Could you possibly make a recommendation to a different physician in a similar practice, or, do you have payment plans we could discuss?"
I think that's solid advice. OP, please don't ever think you have to feel less-than for being poor. Some of the best people are.

In my opinion, doctors who run their practices merely to make tons of money and not to treat those who need their care are the ones who need to apologize.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:42 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,695,620 times
up front and clear is probably the best way to go, trying to be polite and avoiding them may having you missing the chance that they may work with you on payment plans and/or any discounts they may be willing to offer

Old 10-25-2011, 08:46 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,349,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I think that's solid advice. OP, please don't ever think you have to feel less-than for being poor. Some of the best people are.

In my opinion, doctors who run their practices merely to make tons of money and not to treat those who need their care are the ones who need to apologize.
Do you know any who refused to work out payment arrangements?

I don't.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:23 AM

Unfortunately Im one of those folks who falls btwn the cracks , not enough money to pay for a dr but too much to get public assistance .

Old 10-26-2011, 08:28 AM

15,246 posts, read 17,420,255 times
You can ask to pay the discounted amount that insurance companies pay and to pay it over time. You won't know what your options are until you ask.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
You can ask to pay the discounted amount that insurance companies pay and to pay it over time. You won't know what your options are until you ask.
Im not sure what you mean by this ^^^.. I cannot afford to make payments on anything if I did I would not be driving a 20 yr old car . I dont have any options .

Old 10-26-2011, 10:11 AM

863 posts, read 2,657,581 times
What I don't understand is how were you admitted to the hospital with out insurance or payment plan? Was it an emergency situation? How are you going to pay the hospital bill? Follow-up care is important. Whether it was or wasn't an emergency, the posts here do make sense about trying to find "affordable" follow-up care.

You're asking for help, then dismissing the suggestions. I'm confused, what is the outcome you are looking for? I guess you can choose to not see the doctor and go from there... (NOT advisable though.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness