U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2011, 05:23 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,356,738 times

Advertisements

I take Inderal (propanolol) daily for migraine prevention and have positively wicked hallucinations at night, EVERY night. It's the same routine every night. I go to sleep, and about 30 minutes to an hour later I wake up, heart pounding, open my eyes and there is something horrid beside my bed, or, on a good night, something just plain weird. It freaks me out without fail because it looks so real.

I know Inderal and hallucinations (and vivid dreams) go hand in hand in a lot of people, but it still always a shock. I have tried a lot of other solutions for the migraines (I drink a lot of water, stay away from triggers and tried a variety of different herbal remedies) but so far, only the Inderal keeps the migraines at bay. Without it I get about three a week.

Has anyone else experienced it and has anyone else had success at migraine prevention with another medication? I am at my wits end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 07:44 PM

19,865 posts, read 57,982,807 times
Feverfew, widely available in groceries and health food stores. I prefer the liquid over the pill, acts within 5-10 min. There were 4 double-blind peer-reviewed studies published in The Lancet (British equivalent of JAMA), showed a reduction in both frequency and severity of migraines. I took it daily as a preventative (OK'd with my internist first). You can take another dose if you start to get one anyway.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:43 AM

Thanks SouthernBelle - I will start some research into it - I did try Butterburr Extract for a while - it lessened the intensity of the migraines but not the frequency of occurence. This is the second time in two days I have heard feverfew mentioned so will definitely check it out!

Old 10-26-2011, 06:38 AM

2,637 posts, read 11,285,629 times
This may seem like a strange question, but do you sleep on your back?

I ask because I am prone to a condition called sleep paralysis which sometimes causes extremely vivid, often ominous or frightening hallucinations during the period of falling asleep or waking up. For me and many others, this only happens if I am sleeping on my back, never if I turn on my side or stomach. I know what you are experiencing is triggered by meds, but maybe it is just making you more susceptible to the same thing? Just a thought. If you sleep on your back, try your side and see if that helps.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
This may seem like a strange question, but do you sleep on your back?

I ask because I am prone to a condition called sleep paralysis which sometimes causes extremely vivid, often ominous or frightening hallucinations during the period of falling asleep or waking up. For me and many others, this only happens if I am sleeping on my back, never if I turn on my side or stomach. I know what you are experiencing is triggered by meds, but maybe it is just making you more susceptible to the same thing? Just a thought. If you sleep on your back, try your side and see if that helps.
I don't sleep on my back - I sleep on my side hugging a pillow, but funny you should mention sleep paralysis as my daughter has it - but she doesn't see anything creepy. I see the creepy things but am not 'frozen'. They do say that it can be hereditary, and this part "feeling an existance of someone in the room" is definitely what I experience I can feel a presence in the room and I TRY to resist opening my eyes to look but I can't. Ugh. I know I don't have the physical paralysis part of it because I have in the past tried to strike out/touch whatever I see, and I have also reached over and shook my husband to wake up and see it too. (Poor guy LOL)

Sleep Paralysis: Awake But Still Asleep | Serendip's Exchange
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness