U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 04:34 PM

18,715 posts, read 19,018,802 times

Advertisements

You don't find the stimulating effects of coffee a benefit???

Well, go to tea and in the amounts you mention and it will be a big step down.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 02:12 PM

13,253 posts, read 39,171,001 times
Tea (made with real actual tea leaves, not "herbal tea" which generally doesn't contain any tea at all, and is, actually, an 'infusion' mislabeled) gives me a stomach ache.

I'm not fond of herbal infusions, because I want the caffeine, and I don't want "flavored" stuff.

Coffee, on the other hand, gives me that instant "go" in the morning upon my very first sip. It has just enough caffeine to get me ready for work, or a workout, or whatever morning tasks I might have. But it's the aroma, the combination of taste and smell, that packs the most powerful punch for me. Also, if I -don't- have a cup of coffee in the morning, I get a migraine headache later in the day. Oddly, I only need that one cup. I might have a second in the early afternoon if I'm especially in the mood, but I don't miss that second cup at all if I don't get it. Only the morning cup has that kind of physical power for me.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:41 PM

6,751 posts, read 7,356,498 times
"Tea" is short for "tisane", which is an herbal infusion, so herbal tea is, indeed, tea. It's just not necessarily the black tea which we generally call tea.

Anecdote: My father in law is the last surviving sibling in his family. His four brothers, all coffee drinkers who eschewed tea, died in their 40's and 50's from heart disease. My FIL and MIL drink a cup of coffee in the morning, but always have tea with lunch and dinner. They are 88 and 86, respectively. Their diet was no different other than the tea.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:44 PM

7,329 posts, read 14,560,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
You can get the benefits of tea from supplements which contain the green tea extract. A nice cup of tea can have a calming effect from the heat and smell of the drink.
Coffee, not so much since it is more stimulating and does not contain any antioxidants.
Actually coffee does have antioxidants too, although not as many.
I have coffee in the morning and decaf tea in the afternoon.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:45 PM

12,597 posts, read 22,515,348 times
I personally NEED my tea every morning - I have 4-5 cups of regular Lipton. At other times I'll have green tea, Lemon, Earl Grey, etc. (NO fruity sweet ones though). I do need the regular caffeinated Lipton in the morning though.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:43 AM

13,253 posts, read 39,171,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
"Tea" is short for "tisane", which is an herbal infusion, so herbal tea is, indeed, tea. It's just not necessarily the black tea which we generally call tea.

Anecdote: My father in law is the last surviving sibling in his family. His four brothers, all coffee drinkers who eschewed tea, died in their 40's and 50's from heart disease. My FIL and MIL drink a cup of coffee in the morning, but always have tea with lunch and dinner. They are 88 and 86, respectively. Their diet was no different other than the tea.
Interesting about the tea, thanks!

As for FIL and MIL and FIL's brothers, there's probably a lot of other things going on. How about stress level. How -much- coffee did the brothers drink, in a single day's time, and did they drink it black, or with sugar, and if so, how much per cup? Diet isn't the only contributory factor to heart disease and early death.

What kind of physical activities were the brothers involved in? What kind of work did they do? For instance - a runner in the NY Stock Exchange who plays racketball daily and visits the race track once a week, is more likely to keel over from a heart attack, than a yoga instructor who jogs daily and plays canasta once a week.

My parents both drink coffee, and don't drink tea, and are in their 70's.
My grandmother drank tea, and died in her 90's, as a heartbreakingly sad shell of what she had once been.
My younger sister drinks tea once in awhile, and she has all sorts of internal (organ-based and digestive system based) problems. I drink a cup of coffee every morning and my innards are just fine.
My aunt died in her 80's, with metastasized lung cancer that had spread to every part of her body. She drank several cups of coffee every day; but it was smoking that killed her, not caffeine. If she didn't smoke, the doctors said she probably would've outlived all of us in the family.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:56 PM

23,012 posts, read 42,134,302 times
Default Coffee vs Tea

Nice article in the WaPo today on the coffee vs tea issue, i.e., is tea better for our health?

What I'd like is for people to post their personal accounts of how tea improved their health, similar to some of the comments posted by readers of the WaPo article (prostate gland improvement, no jitters, etc).

Also, go ahead and name your favorite tea and/or your method and equipment for brewing tea.

Thank you!
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness