U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 08:57 PM

10,005 posts, read 17,922,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
You might consider seeing a rheumatologist. Some of your symptoms sound very much like mine, my mom's, and my sister's - we all have autoimmune disorders. My morning fatigue was such that I actually fell asleep in front of people if I wasn't actively engaged with them. I also had brain fog to the point that I'm now having to do six months' worth of paperwork because I was unable to do it when it needed to be done.

Another thing that you can do is keep a journal - what you eat, when, and whenever you have symptoms. You might see a pattern there, but it will be a lot harder to see if you aren't writing it down (especially since extreme fatigue makes concentration difficult). To catalogue your symptoms a bit, download the patient history forms here (this is my rheumatologist's website) and see how much fits. It won't give you a diagnosis, but might help to clarify things a bit.
As I read this, I was also thinking autoimmune disorder. I know very little about them but I have a friend with fibromyalgia and this sounds very similar to her complaints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 09:59 PM

6,698 posts, read 7,096,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
As I read this, I was also thinking autoimmune disorder. I know very little about them but I have a friend with fibromyalgia and this sounds very similar to her complaints.
My sister has rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia (recently diagnosed)- that's what I thought of, too. I have rheumatoid arthritis (diagnosed last month), and my mom has Wegener's Granulomatosis. We're all tired, lol.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:03 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,622,850 times
Thanks everyone! I've thought about seeing a naturopath/ holistic doctor, I was just dubious about finding a good one...based on my own research, I'm finding it really hard to tell apart the good holistic therapies and concepts from the quakery, seems like the claims that are standard in holistic medicine are never backed up by scientific evidence, so it's really hard to say who's right.

Never thought about autoimmune - but I mean even chronic fatigue is classified as an autoimmune disorder, isn't it? Don't know much about these, will look into it...

Old 10-31-2011, 05:59 PM

15,453 posts, read 22,721,182 times
Definitely sounds like depression. It can cause everything you are talking about, and make you feel worse than you are.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:16 PM

6,926 posts, read 5,833,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
My sister has rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia (recently diagnosed)- that's what I thought of, too. I have rheumatoid arthritis (diagnosed last month), and my mom has Wegener's Granulomatosis. We're all tired, lol.
I also have osteoarthritis along with the rheumatoid, fibromyalgia and I just recently discovered I was Vitamin B-12 deficient. I have to take a shot once a week for my tiredness. You need a complete panel done and I also have thyroid disease and diabetes which all cause tiredness. Sometimes I feel like I'm dragging 1,000 pounds behind me. I try to ignore and go about my day. Believe it or not the more you move the better you will feel. You also have to start eating less carbs and more fruits and veggies.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:03 PM

6,698 posts, read 7,096,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopedelivers View Post
I also have osteoarthritis along with the rheumatoid, fibromyalgia and I just recently discovered I was Vitamin B-12 deficient. I have to take a shot once a week for my tiredness. You need a complete panel done and I also have thyroid disease and diabetes which all cause tiredness. Sometimes I feel like I'm dragging 1,000 pounds behind me. I try to ignore and go about my day. Believe it or not the more you move the better you will feel. You also have to start eating less carbs and more fruits and veggies.
Yeah, I have osteo in my hip and my back. My B-12 was fine, but D was low, so I supplement that.

I have found that grains are not my friend, and I already eat low carb due to PCOS. If I slip, and eat something grain-based, I do notice the difference in how I feel. More pain, more tired, etc.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:17 PM

3,663 posts, read 7,776,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Okay, so I'm not sure if anyone on here can actually help me since doctors don't seem to know what the hell is wrong with me, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyways and hope someone might help.
For years now, I've had a number of symptoms that seem to come and go, and it's mostly been an annoyance so far that I've just been putting up with, but in the last few months it seemed to have gotten worse and is really starting to affect my life.
I spent yet another number of hours today sprawled on the couch trying to get my 22 month old to play by himself, feeling so guilty yet just not being able to lift myself off and move around without feeling like I was going to pass out or puke . This is the sort of exhaustion I've been having periodically lately. I'm 28 years old, yet I feel like I'm coming apart! There's a bunch of different things I've been experiencing, some daily and some occasionally. I guess I'll just list them by points. Sorry it's soo long, but I figure the more detail I provide the better. So here goes:

1) fatigue. This is pretty much every day, but worse some days, better others. It's especially bad the first part of the day, esp first couple of hours after waking up. I usually get enough sleep, and it's not sleepiness, it's physical, body fatigue like when you've overworked out or coming down with something. I am okay when for the first hour or so after waking I can sit down and just rest. But if I need to go or do something - oh god. I feel sick, extremely physically weak, like to the point where I can't stand up for longer than 10 minutes at a time, and there's like an achy feeling somewhere deep inside my torso that I can't pinpoint. If I get up earlier than usual or got less sleep I'll also be dizzy, lightheaded and nauseous. Really makes a hell of a start to the day.
2) the nausea hits at other times too. I've been diagnosed with IBS years ago, which generally just manifests as mild intestinal distress, bloating, and irregularity, also much worse in the mornings, but lately I've also had what i call 'nausea attacks' - it's a bit like a panic attack - except there's no actual panic. I get nauseous for a few minutes, then I'll start getting dizzy and lightheaded and feel faint, and then a few minutes later my stomach will cramp up and I'll need to run to the bathroom. I can't connect these to any pattern. Of course often once the nausea hits I do start to panic because I've got a terrible fear of gastrointestinal illness, ever since a horrific episode of norovirus my husband brought home, so I'll freak out it's that again, or food poisoning, which ends up making me paranoid too, and then I'm relieved it's just one of my 'attacks'...
3)speaking of illness...in the last year I've been getting sick so often. It's mainly just colds, but if I used to get 2-3 year, now it's every 2-3 months andI've gotten some even 2-3 weeks apart. As soon as I get even a bit of a chill or walk in the cold wind, my glands start getting sore and I end up with a sore throat and then the rest of it. And when I'm sick, the fatigue really wears me down, I'm always baffled how other people can go to work when sick. I don't even mind the symptoms like cough and runny nose - but the fatigue/malaise just kills me! This is also making me paranoid and a germophobe because every time I freak out that I'm getting sick yet again, and having to take care of my son, and I end up infecting him and it's all a whole lotta fun. Of course with the fatigue, whenever I'm not actually sick I feel like I'm coming down with something cause I'm so tired and achy, which just messes with my brain more.
4) I get symptoms of hypoglycemia every once in a while, weak/shaky when I didn't eat for a while
5)I had a body composition test done at a gym recently and they said I was really dehydrated...and I drink water all the time cause I'm always thirsty, and my urine is clear. Wtf?
6)I'm always cold, especially my hands and feet are freezing
7)I often don't have much of an appetite, and the only thing I ever really feel like eating is carbs, simple carbs especially, and some dairy. I have to force myself to eat meat and veggies, 'real food', and I find it really 'heavy' to digest for some reason. Also most raw fruits and veggies give me terrible gas, bloating and stomach pain, which makes it even harder to eat properly.

Oh, and all this seems to get much worse in the second half my cycle, esp week before my period, but is there the rest of the month too.

I've had my thyroid, blood sugar, and iron checked, all normal, though I haven't retested too recently; also tested negative for celiac. Doctors are saying they don't know wth is wrong with me and one dr pretty much implied I was hypochondriac They also keep asking about stress and depression - but the only thing making me stressed and depressed is the fact that I feel like crap most of the time! I'm slightly underweight (but not appearance-wise, I have very light bones). I don't eat a lot, as per point 7, but I don't eat junk or greasy stuff, mostly it's things like bread, cheese, pasta, chicken, soup, plain yogurt, some fruit, salads, and lattes, pastries, and chocolate are my guilty treats. I probably eat a bit too much sugar and refined carbs but often these are the only things I actually feel like eating. I do 30-40 mins of cardio 4-5 times a week, plus running around with my son. But too often I don't even have the energy to play with him and it just gets me down. I'm grateful I don't work right now, when I did and had to get up early in the mornings, it was pure hell. I feel like I come off as being lazy - but I don't want to be! I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired! I really want to have energy like I see other people do, but I don't! Maybe someone has some advice for me....thanks!
Have you been checked for Sjogrens syndrome?

Old 11-01-2011, 07:28 AM

15,703 posts, read 32,481,684 times
Since you are asking for opinions/advice here, I am going to throw out my own. It definitely sounds like autoimmune issues of some sort. A lot of these conditions are caused by parasites or candida in your system. There is a lot of info on the web about this, you might want to google it and read about it. Also, your symptoms can be caused by a lot of inflammation in your body. Some of it can be dietary related. There is a good book out called "diet for a pain-free life", explains how different foods cause inflammation in the body, which in turn causes pain and weight-gain.

Good luck, hope you find some solutions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness