Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 05:02 PM

946 posts, read 2,917,837 times

Advertisements

I understand that being overweight isn't socially acceptable and being thin/skinny is better seen, but, doesn't it occur to people that calling someone a twig/skinny can also be hurtful? I have a male acquaintance that I haven't seen in a while, we got to chatting and he mentioned something about me being a twig the last time he saw me. It's not the only time he's mentioned my weight in a negative light- he's called me skinny and unhealthily underweight before. I don't need to explain to everyone that I'm just naturally very thin and that I eat as much as a normal person does, but even when I do, people don't get it. He's overweight and if I were to call him a pig/fat/overweight, it would be seen as being incredibly rude and disrespectful. Why doesn't the opposite also hold true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 05:23 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
I understand that being overweight isn't socially acceptable and being thin/skinny is better seen, but, doesn't it occur to people that calling someone a twig/skinny can also be hurtful? I have a male acquaintance that I haven't seen in a while, we got to chatting and he mentioned something about me being a twig the last time he saw me. It's not the only time he's mentioned my weight in a negative light- he's called me skinny and unhealthily underweight before. I don't need to explain to everyone that I'm just naturally very thin and that I eat as much as a normal person does, but even when I do, people don't get it. He's overweight and if I were to call him a pig/fat/overweight, it would be seen as being incredibly rude and disrespectful. Why doesn't the opposite also hold true?

But it does!

It is always rude to draw attention to someone's personal appearance if doing so will hurt the person's feelings or make them otherwise uncomfortable.

Your aquaintance is a social clod

Old 11-03-2011, 05:25 PM

130 posts, read 317,236 times
When I young I used to be called skinny, anorexic, Ethiopian (what). I guess this is just part of the bullying bull crap we all go through.

I am still very skinny and naturally so. What people have said to me over my lifetime was hurtful, but I know I can eat all I want and not have to worry. Do you know how many people would love to be in your shoes? I am thankful for what nature gave me.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:27 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,683,581 times
Different groups have decided that they are offended by terminology, and they demand their politically-correct 'rights' to not be referred to by that terminology.

What really makes it difficult is when you are trying to treat a patient and there are certain words that you are told to use to describe that patient. Try being in the back of an ambulance working on a woman who weighs over 350 pounds, and not telling the doctor that the main reason she is breathing so heavily while strapped flat to a backboard is because her anatomy is such that her own masses of flesh are impeding her breathing... Then of course the doctor asks loudly over the radio "Is this patient obese?" And you have to say yes, then spend 10 minutes apologizing for what she should already know anyway... Or try explaining to a doctor over the radio about the "little person" who has all of the physical descriptions (and the physical deformities) of those who were born with congenital dwarfism. You'd better not even breathe the word "midget", not even if your radio transmissions are supposed to be as brief as possible.

You can't call someone with African heritage 'black', you can't even mention the word "Hispanic" in newspaper stories or police BOLOs read out loud, victim or criminal.

It's all pretty childish, if you ask me - to take offense at something that's obvious, or to comment on it unnecessarily. For him to call you a "twig" - if you can't take it as a compliment, just ignore it. And the same should go if you called him a "porker" - but I'll bet it wouldn't. Look at it this way - if he doesn't pay your bills or sleep in your bed, why should you care what he says or thinks?

Old 11-03-2011, 05:46 PM

946 posts, read 2,917,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyx_Vance View Post
When I young I used to be called skinny, anorexic, Ethiopian (what). I guess this is just part of the bullying bull crap we all go through.

I am still very skinny and naturally so. What people have said to me over my lifetime was hurtful, but I know I can eat all I want and not have to worry. Do you know how many people would love to be in your shoes? I am thankful for what nature gave me.
I've always been very thankful to be this way, and I never took offense when people called me anorexic/too thin in the past. In fact, I've always embraced it and considered myself lucky. It's just lately that I've been feeling a bit self-conscious because I lost a bit more weight, that's probably why I took some offense in his comment. But overall I'm happy with the way I look. I guess I'm just being a little too sensitive. But I still think calling someone a "twig" is disrespectful and equivalent to calling someone "fat". Just like you shouldn't go around saying, "Oh my God...you're so fat since the last time I saw you!" you can't say, "Oh my God...you look like a twig since I last saw you!"

Old 11-03-2011, 09:19 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,222 times
Yep you naturally skinny people have it good. Fat people are hated more in society so skinny people like you should not get offended for being called a twig.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:34 PM

275 posts, read 836,169 times
some ppl are just rude....but i think there's a lot of ppl that would think calling someone else a twig is not mean--could even be a compliment in some circles!

Old 11-03-2011, 09:49 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,425,820 times
It's rude. Just because the person is skinny doesn't give you the right to walk up and say "man you are skinny, you're like a twig." who is asking for your opinion? no one wants unsolicited comments about their body unless it's "wow, you look great." some people are insecure about themselves even if you think they shouldn't be. it's not your place to say anything.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:37 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
I've wondered this myself. I have to regulate my weight so that I eat enough calories. Otherwise I become anorexic-looking, apparently. I consider that to be struggling with my weight. An overweight person dieting is struggling with their weight as well. The difference is that there isn't much help available for people who are underweight.

Anyway, great question!

Old 11-04-2011, 12:50 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,785,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
Yep you naturally skinny people have it good. Fat people are hated more in society so skinny people like you should not get offended for being called a twig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtohouston2 View Post
some ppl are just rude....but i think there's a lot of ppl that would think calling someone else a twig is not mean--could even be a compliment in some circles!
name calling is just wrong---period.
Telling someone why they should or should not get offended is offensive.

People need to be aware that thin people aren't always intentionally thin. Just like on obese person can't always control that. Let us become a civil and polite society, and mind our manners. When is it ever ok to mention someone's weight? Never!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness