Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 04:16 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to write what I think may be reasons for my apparent good health. I say "apparent" because I could be dying of something and not know it, but I don't think so.

I am old, and I feel good. The last time I was sick will be two years ago, come February (had a cough that lasted for a solid month) . . .after that, I got gout, but through diet only reversed it (I wrote a paper on gout for a class I was taking at the time). I study Holistic Health, by-the-way . . .

I retired around a year ago, and so my stress level is MUCH lower than it ever has been . . .so that is one thing I believe contributes to my better health.

The other thing I think is a key factor is that I get more sleep now than I ever did before. I seem to average around 8 hours per night, 9 every once-in-a-while, and 10 in a blue moon.

I had been getting body work all along (massage) to manage stress, and I continue to get it (now the new Chinese Massage, which costs $25 per hour!) . . . I don't need as much body work as I used to need when I was working.

I also eat healthy in the sense that I eat mainly organic foods - hardly ever eat red meat . . . only eat chicken maybe once or twice a week. I am not big on either fruits or veggies, but try to eat salads and the fruits and veggies I do like on a daily basis (do not eat anywhere near the "recommended" requirements).

I also do a lot of "energy work." (Reiki, EFT, etc.) I think processing negative emotions in this way also really helps my overall general health.

I take one artificial medication (thyroid). If I knew then what I know now, I might not have had the procedure done I had done when I was sick with that problem.

In my past, I smoked and drank and ate processed foods . . . I was pretty ignorant . . .I wish to God I knew earlier what I have come to understand, but I didn't and that is just the way it is.

In one of my classes, recommended reading was a book called "Detoxification" (I think . . .) It is a big, black book and you can get it on Amazon. I found it to be very informative and I learned a lot about "healing crisis" in that book (which is what can happen when you clean up your diet and your life).

I also use flower essences and aromatherapy, which I adore. I have a pretty big collection of essential oils and I use them daily, from intuition regarding what I need.

I just wanted to share part of my health story . . . there is a ton of other stuff I "should" do that I am not so good about (like drinking more water, taking vitamins, losing weight, getting more exercise, etc.) But having less stress and more sleep seems to have provided a lot of health benefits, at least at the moment (knock-on-wood!) . . .

What couple of things to you do that you feel have contributed to your good health, if you are enjoying good health at the moment?

Last edited by imcurious; 11-06-2011 at 04:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 04:34 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Limiting sugar and other carbs, maintaining a healthy weight, and getting a lot of exercise.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:39 PM

Sugar is hugely toxic. I have cut down, significantly, and hope to do even better in that area . . .

Old 11-06-2011, 05:18 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
I think that one of the biggest changes that I've made to my health is taking vitamin D. It's better than taking allergy meds for me and has none of the side effects. I even spent the night at my aunt's and uncle's house the other night and they have a cat and I never even had a sniffle. I've had horrible allergies in my life, so this was huge.

I'm also much healthier without sugar and can think much clearer without it.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:29 PM

Now you are inspiring me to open up a few vitamin bottles! I am a little lazy in that regard! I didn't know D was good for allergies.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:13 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
A also am very blessed to have excellent health for being almost 59. I have no need for regular medications. I always get a clean check up. Why?
1. Good genes. All my siblings are still alive and healthy. Most are older.
2. I've always been an active person. Played HS and college sports. Still go hiking in the mountains, walk over a mile several times a day, walk when I play golf, etc.
3. Low stress jobs. I really don't function will with high stress, so I've stayed away from that kind of work.
4. Kept my weight in check. Don't drink much alcohol, no smoking.
5. Can't say eating all the right foods gets much credit. I like hamburgers, steak, Pizza, ice cream.

Only thing that I can point to that I think makes a major difference for most people is having good blood circulation, which means exercise, and low blood preasure. Why good blood circulation. Think about it. If you have poor circulation, then the cells are not getting the oxigen they need, which can lead to cancer, and low function, or being susceptible to other diseases. Good circulation also helps the cells because the blood also carries away the impurities that need to be flushed. High blood preasure damages organs that use a lot of blood, because the extra preasure is pounding on the vessels, and damaging them.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:30 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,024,126 times
[quote=imcurious;21602696]I also eat healthy in the sense that I eat mainly organic foods - hardly ever eat red meat . . . only eat chicken maybe once or twice a week. I am not big on either fruits or veggies, but try to eat salads and the fruits and veggies I do like on a daily basis (do not eat anywhere near the "recommended" requirements).

My husband doesn't eat many fruits or veggies either. What does your organic diet consist of? I need suggestions

Old 11-06-2011, 06:35 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
D is a good preventative for cardiac problems and cancer, per article I read in the paper the other day. I've been taking D for years.

I'm a big supplement taker (Multiple Vit, fish oil, phytonutrients, calcium, Vit. C & D, CoQ10, Folic Acid, Boron, Biotin, Osteo-BiFlex for joints (you'll never need a joint replacement with Osteo-BiFlex), vision supplement, dried mushrooms, Kyolic garlic), eat organic diet, natural whole grains (never white flour), lots of vegetables and fruit, buy dairy (milk, eggs, cheese, kefir, yogurt) produced by organic coops, meat that is range fed and not shot full of hormones and antibiotics, lots of sleep. Never smoked, rarely drink alcohol (2x yr, maybe). Been this way from my 20s. Now 69. Haven't had a cold in four or five years. No health issues whatsoever. If one is vigilant and intuitive, and use common sense, you can usually cut most health problems off when they start. I will always search for an alternative solution. They usually work.

Not a follower of organized medicine, except for broken bones and the like. Take no medication. For the most part I believe drugs are poison. Don't ever get flu, pneumonia, shingles or any other kind of shots. Further away I stay from doctors, the better off I am. Bad experience in my 30's. Long story. So, I've taken the path less traveled. Do visit chiro once or twice a month. When I worked, I needed to go more often. All the stress got my muscles and back in a knot. Much better now.

Look, feel and act 10 years younger than I am, at least. Natural way is the best way for me.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 11-06-2011 at 06:45 PM..

Old 11-06-2011, 06:39 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Now you are inspiring me to open up a few vitamin bottles! I am a little lazy in that regard! I didn't know D was good for allergies.
I didn't know it either and I've never heard of a connection but the effect was obvious enough for me to notice right after I began to take it. I'm going to experiment with cats here pretty soon--my bro and his wife have 3 cats and I'm going to get D'ed up and then go pay them a visit. I love cats and pray that this is the cure. I wonder if anyone else has had any experience with vitamin D and allergies?

Old 11-06-2011, 06:44 PM

[quote=nALgirl;21604288]
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I also eat healthy in the sense that I eat mainly organic foods - hardly ever eat red meat . . . only eat chicken maybe once or twice a week. I am not big on either fruits or veggies, but try to eat salads and the fruits and veggies I do like on a daily basis (do not eat anywhere near the "recommended" requirements).

My husband doesn't eat many fruits or veggies either. What does your organic diet consist of? I need suggestions
My diet needs work. Some staples (all organic):

- Peanut butter
- Sour dough breads
- Cheeses of all kinds (I know! But I LOVE it)
- Artichokes
- Veggie sandwiches (cream cheese, carrots, cucumbers, avocado, tomatoes, cheese)
- Baked potatoes (Bleu cheese & BBQ sauce)
- Salads
- Stir fry veggies (mushrooms, spinach, garlic, tomotoes)
- All kinds of Mexican foods with salsa (this is a staple)
- Stews and soups
- Oh, and I do drink white wine (also organic grapes - Trader Joe's $5.99)
- Coffee
- Broccoli w/Bleu cheese (!)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness