Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 07:30 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,833,782 times

Advertisements

It always starts with a sore scratchy throat followed up stuffed nose, some coughing, runny nose.

What medicines are the best?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 07:34 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,755,132 times
Robitussin -- the type they make for congestion. Homemade chicken soup made with ginger-if you are too sick, all you have to do is throw a chicken breast into the slow cooker with water and a thumb sized piece of ginger. Ginger will warm you up. While it's cooking, go to bed. Wake up and drink a lot of it, turn up the heat, climb back into bed with a pile of blankets and SWEAT. That should cure your cold.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:40 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,409,754 times
Theraflu. That hot lemon stuff, that will wipe it. I also took those pills, that seemed to help, some sort of homepathic med, it was right by cold meds. Can't remember the name. Has echinea in it.

I like that "throat-coat" tea. Helps me.

Sleep. Toast, chicken broth. Get better soon.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:41 PM

What works for me Theraflu packets, I like the natural lemon flavor nighttime taste.
Tavist-D is pretty good.

Sore/Cough drops from Halls.

Vicks Vaporub.

What about Mucinex?

What about Honey and Tea?

Old 12-21-2011, 07:42 PM

I do take Airborne and it has 1000mg of Vitamin C.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:09 PM

3,606 posts, read 9,072,174 times
Emergen-C, Chicken Soup, Vapor Rub and Breathe Right Strips.

"Tea" made of honey, cut up lemon and cut up fresh ginger. I steep it all together in a bodum and usually drink about a quart a day.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:54 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,858,269 times
At the very first sign of cold or flu i start with Echinacea / Goldenseal Compound by Herb-Pharm.

Moderator cut: no ads

I make a cup of tea (w/ hot water but not boiling) and at least 3 droppers of the compound and i do that every few hours and i do it until i'm over the cold or flu but usually (almost always) it doesn't become a full blown thing.
I take lots of vitamin C and if i'm feeling up to i take an extremely hot bath with sea salt and baking soda for as long as i can stand it and then i get out and wrap my body in flannel sheets and sweat it out and then when i star to feel a chill i then shower off the sweat and salt residue and get dressed quickly so as not to chill an then i go to bed.
The hot, hot bath remedy is probably not a good idea if you're not in reasonably good health and i imagine that people with heart conditions, high blood pressure, etc. shouldn't do it.
Also, lots of hot liquids (hot water with fresh lemon juice is great) during a cold is important.
Ginger tea with lemon is great too.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-21-2011 at 10:40 PM..

Old 12-21-2011, 08:57 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,825,924 times
I use breathe-right strips every night already - I swear by them for a deviated septum/collapsed nostril.

I like Dogmama50's suggestions the best, though personally I'd rather just have fresh citrus fruit and/or fresh-squeezed citrus juice, than taking an Emergen-C.

I'd also suggest a steam vaporizer (NOT a cold-air humidifier) to kill some of the germs in the air while loosening up the "stuff" in your sinuses. If you use the plastic bucket type that you don't have to add any salt, you can add 2 *drops* of pure essential oil of eucalyptus (not scented oil or perfume or room freshener oil!) to the water. Don't use synthetics of any kind, or diluted essential oil, because whatever they use to dilute it, or create the synthetics, will clog up the steamer and can damage the vaporizer.

Also bear in mind the "common cold" schedule: Three days in, three days on, three days out. Translation: it takes three days from the time you first catch a cold, til you're thoroughly miserable with it. You'll be miserable for the next three days. And it'll take three more days to finally go away.

That's without any medication at all, and it's also *usually* even if you take medication. The medication only alleviates some of the symptoms, and some of the meds -can- help strenghthen your immune system (which is compromised because you have a cold, doh), reducing (but not eliminating) the risk of ending up with bronchitis or pneumonia.

I also have used echinacea/goldenseal for a cold - like jaijai said, soon as you start feeling bad. I've taken the capsules though, only once per day - before bedtime, for no more than 4 days in a row. Some people get an upset stomach from echinacea/goldenseal, so you'll have to see if it helps to have a full stomach, or an empty stomach, or something inbetween. There's supposedly a "rule" about that but I've yet to figure out what it is. My stomach feels a little queazy no matter what my digestive condition is in, when I take them. The feeling goes away fairly quickly though.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:20 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,970,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Theraflu. That hot lemon stuff, that will wipe it. I also took those pills, that seemed to help, some sort of homepathic med, it was right by cold meds. Can't remember the name. Has echinea in it.

I like that "throat-coat" tea. Helps me.

Sleep. Toast, chicken broth. Get better soon.

the whole line of teas that throat coat comes from is good for colds, they have a bunch, my favorite was teh gypsy cold care, i think the brand name was traditional medicinals, but they are all really good and dont taste that bad... tho the throat coat is a bit syrupy, add a teaspoon of honey and it goes down like candy

also, vitamin c... dont care what the doctors say, when i get sick i start poppin vitamin c like candy and within a day or so im over whatever i have

Old 12-21-2011, 09:32 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,341,075 times
I agree with jaijai about the echinacea. If I even have the slightest inkling I'm getting a cold I start with echinacea tea with a little honey added (I drink it all day), take 500 mgs of Vitamin C at least three times (morning, noon, night), and I take 2 aspirin before I go to bed. If I actually get full-blown cold symptoms after that (very rare) I keep up the regimen and add either the Theraflu® hot lemon drink Jasper12 recommended or Alka-Seltzer Plus® Cold & Flu. I get as much sleep as I can and eat chicken soup. No matter how congested you get stay away from nasal sprays. Personally I don't react well to Sudafed, so I never take that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness